GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

EGR Delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 08:42 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Lightbulb EGR Delete

Has anyone considered deleting the EGR to help keep the car running better in the long run?

According to this youtube video the EGR is an exhaust gas re-circulation valve. It takes exhaust from the car and feeds it back into the engine. The purpose being that it makes the engine burn at a lower temperature by choking it basically. This in turn is somehow better for the environment and worse for the engine.

This is the video:
Old 09-01-20, 08:51 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

discussed here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...e-failure.html
Old 09-01-20, 09:50 AM
MiamiGX
Driver

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Yes, I had seen that thread before I posted. I reread it in case I missed anything. But all they are talking about there is repairing a broken EGR and cleaning them as well. I was specifically asking what peoples thoughts are on removing them completely for the sole purpose of engine longevity.
Old 09-01-20, 01:41 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

EGRs have been in engines since the 1970s. You won't notice a difference in anything.
Old 09-01-20, 02:01 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

Originally Posted by klinquist
EGRs have been in engines since the 1970s. You won't notice a difference in anything.
Didn't they recently get rid of them in modern engines? Their sole purpose was to improve emissions by feeding exhaust back into the engine.

I don't know if you watched the video but it really makes sense.
Old 09-01-20, 08:47 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MiamiGX
Didn't they recently get rid of them in modern engines?

Not that I'm aware of.
Old 09-02-20, 06:39 AM
MiamiGX
Driver

Ok, i went and looked into it a little bit and it seems specifically VVT engines got rid of the need for an EGR valve.

This is one of those items that is very confusing. If you google it you find people making arguments for and against removing it. It seems though that in the diesel world they definitely lean towards removing them.

Not sure where we stand on the V8 toyota engines.
Old 09-02-20, 07:01 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Ok, i went and looked into it a little bit and it seems specifically VVT engines got rid of the need for an EGR valve.

Almost all engines have some form of VVT these days, and most of them still have EGR valves.

Not sure where we stand on the V8 toyota engines.
Where we stand should be evident on the lack of other people asking about it / posting about it here .

It would make me fail a visual emissions test here in California.
Old 09-02-20, 07:04 AM
MiamiGX
Driver

Yea, I guess I can move on from this one. The internet seems pretty divided and the board has no input on it.

I gotta stop binge watching youtube videos at 2am.

FYI, we don't have emissions testing where I live. So I was not thinking about that issue.
Old 09-02-20, 07:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

It would appear in markets outside North America there are stock 460s without an EGR system according to FSM.

Old 09-02-20, 07:30 AM
MiamiGX
Driver

hmmm... interesting.

Last edited by MiamiGX; 09-02-20 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 08:36 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Does that mean we CAN remove/block it if we want? @MiamiGX have a go at it and report back for us??? If it's 1 less part to fail then I'll go for it.
Old 09-02-20, 11:17 AM
MiamiGX
Driver

My concern stemmed from the video I watched (posted above). My engine is getting up there. I am close to 175,000 miles. I have an engine component that is feeding it back dirty exhaust emissions, simply to keep the cat from burning too hot and to keep the engine from releasing NOx gasses. If removing it will help keep the engine cleaner and run longer then I am willing to do it in the interest on longevity. If the car was newer with less miles I wouldn't care, if it helps the environment then leave it in. But with this many miles I need to look at all the options to extend the life of the engine/vehicle. Its like preventative surgery. If you have a family history of a certain condition and are getting to the age where it comes out. You don't wait for the problems to begin. I am sure at this point if I pull it out that thing has to be caked in build up and possibly close to failure.

If someone had a easy to follow video and I could do it myself I would. But from what I have seen, it's a little more complicated than that. You need to have a plate made and do something with the ecu so you dont trigger an engine code. Some people use a resistor (to trick the ecu?) I might have to get this one done by a pro. But I wanted to hear what the board thought of this first.

From the lack of response however it doesn't seem there is much interest. I have other members telling me I am barking into the night.

Last edited by MiamiGX; 09-02-20 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 01:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I assume this person in Russia is doing a SAIP/EGR delete.
Old 09-28-20, 01:43 PM
MiamiGX
Driver

How you find these things is beyond me. But yeah, it seems he deleted the EGR and the secondary air pump?

I had the page google translated and he seems to mention that they also had to program the ecu.

Thanks for sharing Acrad!

Quick Reply: EGR Delete