GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Imagine if Alpine came out with something for us like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 08:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Imagine if Alpine came out with something for us like this?

So on a previous thread, I mentioned why big name brands in infotainment dont design a drop in unit onto the GX; easy answer licensing fees to access the HVAC/vehicle proprietary vehicle network.

However scrolling down as I do, i stumbled upon a unit for the 4R. Just a passing thought, what if Alpine did the same for the GX?

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/a...er-ilx-f309frn
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-05-20)
Old 09-04-20, 09:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So on a previous thread, I mentioned why big name brands in infotainment dont design a drop in unit onto the GX; easy answer licensing fees to access the HVAC/vehicle proprietary vehicle network.

However scrolling down as I do, i stumbled upon a unit for the 4R. Just a passing thought, what if Alpine did the same for the GX?

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/a...er-ilx-f309frn
Potential volume could be the issue to prevent manufacturers like Alpine to spend R&D and manufacturing similar products for GX. 4Runner and Tacoma have much higher units on the market compare to GX. Overall from clientele demographic point view, there are much more "customized" demands compare to GX. It is very hard for bigger player like Alpine to justify and develop such for GX market. For the same reason, you will probably find far more option for customize a Honda Civic than Lexus, demands driven the supplies.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-05-20)
Old 09-05-20, 07:42 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Potential volume could be the issue to prevent manufacturers like Alpine to spend R&D and manufacturing similar products for GX. 4Runner and Tacoma have much higher units on the market compare to GX. Overall from clientele demographic point view, there are much more "customized" demands compare to GX. It is very hard for bigger player like Alpine to justify and develop such for GX market. For the same reason, you will probably find far more option for customize a Honda Civic than Lexus, demands driven the supplies.
Very true. I wonder though, who is the OEM outsourced to produce the current headunit (i think pioneer but never confirmed it)? They already have agreements, tech side knowledge, and could possibly deal with a low volume conundrum better then anyone else?
Old 09-05-20, 10:03 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Very true. I wonder though, who is the OEM outsourced to produce the current headunit (i think pioneer but never confirmed it)? They already have agreements, tech side knowledge, and could possibly deal with a low volume conundrum better then anyone else?
Current one is made by pioneer.
Old 09-05-20, 10:05 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

My ML is a Pioneer. I thought Fujitsu Ten might have been used for the non-ML stereos.