mikedmr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dude!
Old 11-29-20, 06:42 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2011 base, owned for about a month. My FIL test drove for me and said he couldn't get the radio to turn on. When I went to drive it the next day it worked and has never had a problem. Today I replaced the washer pump for the front windshield. I had the connector for the pump unplugged overnight. Today after the repair, the audio system won't turn on. Map screen works. Voice prompt does not work, and I hear no beeps when touching any buttons on the display. I ejected and inserted a CD hoping that would toggle it on but it didn't. I wouldn't think it's a fuse, but who knows. I am purchasing the Grom Audio VLine V2 next week, but I'm nervous my head unit is bad. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-30-20, 08:20 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KYGX
I have a 2011 base, owned for about a month. My FIL test drove for me and said he couldn't get the radio to turn on. When I went to drive it the next day it worked and has never had a problem. Today I replaced the washer pump for the front windshield. I had the connector for the pump unplugged overnight. Today after the repair, the audio system won't turn on. Map screen works. Voice prompt does not work, and I hear no beeps when touching any buttons on the display. I ejected and inserted a CD hoping that would toggle it on but it didn't. I wouldn't think it's a fuse, but who knows. I am purchasing the Grom Audio VLine V2 next week, but I'm nervous my head unit is bad. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Update: When I started the vehicle this morning, the audio system fired right up. I'm at a loss here. Maybe a loose connection somewhere?
Old 11-30-20, 09:16 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Anything showing up in diagnostics?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...otainment.html
Old 11-30-20, 10:39 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad

Thank you for that link. I followed the procedure and on the first page, every system had a checkmark beside it. I wonder if I would be able to access the diagnostic mode when this happens again. That will probably be more telling. I plan on installing my Vline in the next couple of weeks. I'll surely be checking to see if everything has tight connections.
Old 12-01-20, 12:00 PM
flighht2k5
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2010 GX Radio freak out

I searched and couldn't find anything. My 2010 gx radio freaked out. it was continually changing the station. On Saturday it was stuck just changing stations. Also couldn't turn on the HVAC or select a radio station. I turned the truck off and restarted it and it started working fine. Has anyone swapped the radio for an aftermarket one? If you did, how do you control the HVAC?

Thank you for the help.
Old 12-02-20, 09:46 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Acrad while backing out my driveway today the audio on my system cut out. I *think* the source changed from SAT to CD on it's own, though I may have inadvertently switched the source. However, the audio system is turning on, just no sound. I can switch sources, no sound. I ran the diagnostics, and it says my amp is disconnected. Hoping it's just a connectivity issue somewhere that I can tighten up. Also I plan to check the fuse and replace, or ultimately swap out the amp. Do you think this could be an issue with the head unit and not the amp itself?
Old 12-02-20, 12:15 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Hope you’re able to pin down what’s happening. Maybe when installing the VL2 you can check the back of the Nav and radio too.
I have an issue where the sources randomly switch from FM to AM to CD etc... and sometimes pop out the CD too. It usually happens when the outside temp is hot, like in the 90’s.
Old 12-02-20, 12:24 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Hope you’re able to pin down what’s happening. Maybe when installing the VL2 you can check the back of the Nav and radio too.
I have an issue where the sources randomly switch from FM to AM to CD etc... and sometimes pop out the CD too. It usually happens when the outside temp is hot, like in the 90’s.
Thats what I’m planning to do. I wouldn’t be as concerned if it was just the amp. If indeed the unit changed sources on its own, which I believe it did, I’m concerned that’s a much bigger issue. We got a cold snap here in KY this week, so it’s probably not a heat thing for me. Have you looked at replacement cost for a head unit?
Old 12-02-20, 12:37 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by KYGX
Have you looked at replacement cost for a head unit?
I saw some used ones on eBay for around $2k. I'm not sure what to do if it's really dead, replacing with OEM or just swing for a Tesla screen (hoping Tesla screen improves and had all the bugs worked out by then lol)
Old 12-02-20, 01:26 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

I saw some used ones on eBay for around $2k. I'm not sure what to do if it's really dead, replacing with OEM or just swing for a Tesla screen (hoping Tesla screen improves and had all the bugs worked out by then lol)
Did your diagnostic show an error on anything? You may have said so earlier, if so I apologize.
Old 12-02-20, 02:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'd probably trying unplugging the steering wheel controls for a while

Easiest side might actually be at the steering wheel....I know...inconvenient but unfortunately the nature of troubleshooting sometimes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10941638
Old 12-02-20, 03:20 PM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

I'd probably trying unplugging the steering wheel controls for a while

Easiest side might actually be at the steering wheel....I know...inconvenient but unfortunately the nature of troubleshooting sometimes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10941638
Now the audio system won't power on at all. In the diagnostic, at the top where it says 0:EMVN the word MOST is red, when I click it, all the systems have a check mark. Honestly, if the replacement is 2k and it's this hard to troubleshoot, I may just sell the vehicle. I wouldn't even know where to start to unhook the steering wheel controls. I don't really know what I'm doing with the electronics at all. I was going to purchase and install the VLine this week, however, I will no longer be doing that.
Old 12-02-20, 03:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Have you had anything else electrical not work in vehicle or added anything?
Old 12-02-20, 04:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Even Tesla screen option will still require a working OEM head unit to function. It is not to replace the entire head unit.

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates