GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 05:00 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the navigation in the lexus is sub par imho....i cant tell you how many times addresses dont exist on the system..homes around for 10-20 years, absolutely ridiculous

i frequently have to use google maps which is much more accurate.

why the ....cant lexus just put google maps in our gx...another bright move by the techies at lexus...

frankly, i would think twice before wasting your money on any update, it will never be as good as google...
I agree, it's even worse in my LS 460. I had the maps updated once, but it can never find an
address when I need to use it. I end up using my I Phone for directions. Waste of money...
Old 09-26-12, 05:45 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

and whats with the numbers, letters DE lighting when youre typing...ludicrous design from software engineers whoever makes the controls for toyota
Old 09-26-12, 06:19 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think we are missing the big picture.

A built-in navigation system has an inherent advantage over an add-on or portable system, much less a 'phone because it is integrated with the vehicle. It uses multiple sensors (steering wheel angle, tire slip, measured vehicle speed, etc. plus GPS signals ... any other system uses only GPS signals. LIke any dedicated, purpose-designed hardware, it may not have the slickest user interface, but it works better for a single purpose, which is to navigate the vehicle.

There are multiple ways to program the navigation system in addition to simple keyboarding of addresses. I maintain a library of destinations on the Lexus Driver site, which I update from my computer and download to the vehicle. If I need a new address while on the road, Destination Assistance puts me in touch with a Lexus representative who can download the destination into the navigation system while enroute.

I don't know the laws in other states, but in Delaware holding a 'phone while driving is a primary offense, i.e., you will be stopped if the police observe you holding a 'phone, regardless of what you were doing with it. So much for using Google or an iPhone!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. My understanding is that navigation is an option, i.e., the GX460 could have been ordered without the navigation touchscreen with just the "Multi-Information Display" instead. The navigation option was an expensive option ... why would someone pay to configure their vehicle with the navigation option, but refuse to use it? Wouldn't it be better to share ways of using what we paid for rather than to rant about why we don't?
Old 09-26-12, 07:40 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SaniDel;7508031

P.S. My understanding is that navigation is an option, i.e., the GX460 could have been ordered without the navigation touchscreen with just the "Multi-Information Display" instead. The navigation option was an expensive option ... why would someone pay to configure their vehicle with the navigation option, but refuse to use it? Wouldn't it be better to share ways of using what we paid for rather than to rant about why we don't?[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you, and by the way I am very happy with the navigation system in my GX. Like any other navigation system, sometimes I get locations that are not in the map or other glitches but that's why we have Lexus Enform, which I use it a lot!
Old 09-27-12, 04:24 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
You'd need to take USB to the dealer to let them install it. It is not possible to do upgrade yourself.
I am not so sure about that, in my 2012, on the screen where it shows the version I also have a map update button. Perhaps this has changed on newer vehicles.
Old 09-27-12, 06:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I am not so sure about that, in my 2012, on the screen where it shows the version I also have a map update button. Perhaps this has changed on newer vehicles.
After buying the USB either online or at a dealership (around $169) you have to take the vehicle in to a dealership where it's hooked up to a laptop to complete the updated map installation.
Old 09-27-12, 07:01 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

What sense does it make to buy this gadget AND also to pay the dealership to install it? That sounds like going to Pep Boys to buy new oil and a filter and then paying the dealership to change them. Just pay the dealership to update the navigation system and be done with it!

What is the residual value of the $169 gadget after it has been used exactly one time? Presumably you can't return it for credit since the content has been used, it is only useful to a GX 460 owner and it will become worthless with the next software update. That sounds like a "white elephant" to me.
Regards,

SaniDel

Rant Warning: Some of the suggestions made on this forum appear motivated more to avoid paying the dealership for service than by common sense. We own a vehicle that set us back at least $60 thousand, we bought it from a Lexus dealer, Lexus covers it with a bumper to bumper warranty for four years and a limited warranty after that ... it's not a Yugo! If it was good enough to buy from Lexus it's good enough to be serviced at Lexus. Sorry ... rant off
Old 09-27-12, 04:47 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It can make sense to buy online at a reputable dealer (like Sewell) and get it installed locally. I shopped around Lexus parts depts and bought the Nav USB key, then had the update installed during routine service. A little over $100 difference from the quote for only updating the Nav.
Old 09-27-12, 11:21 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
A built-in navigation system has an inherent advantage over an add-on or portable system, much less a 'phone because it is integrated with the vehicle. It uses multiple sensors (steering wheel angle, tire slip, measured vehicle speed, etc. plus GPS signals ... any other system uses only GPS signals. LIke any dedicated, purpose-designed hardware, it may not have the slickest user interface, but it works better for a single purpose, which is to navigate the vehicle.
Actually, built-in navigation is not as advanced as you may think. Built-in navigation uses two components: GPS antenna and speed sensor (within transmission). Nothing fancy, really.

In 99.9% of cases GPS signal is more than enough, the system can get your moving speed very accurately. Speed sensor is used only when there is no GPS signal.

The reason Lexus moved to USB on newer vehicles and to card-number activations on 2013+ is to prevent people from "sharing" DVD. So now, no matter what, you have to do an update at the dealership. Just a way to make more money after the sale.
Old 09-28-12, 05:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I keep wondering if competition from smart phones and portable GPS units will drive down the cost of USB/dealer updates (currently <$300?) but it's not happening. I think the cost of the USB came down to $169 from $199 a while back, maybe that's a start.
Old 09-28-12, 11:22 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

This is the most complete resource I have found:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com

$169 is the price for all except the first generation of hardware, which is more expensive, perhaps because it was hard-drive based. That supports the suggestion that competition from other electronics will continue to drive down the price. If it was ~ $300 at one time, $169 is a welcome change.

The remaining unknown is the labor cost to perform the update. I'm planning to update in late-November when our 2010 GX 460 goes in for its annual full service and hope to get version 12.1. I'll let the forum know how much I am charged for the labor.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. How our dealership gets the update is their business ... I'll neither know nor care if they buy a USB 'gadget', a DVD or download directly. All I want is for the update to be done and NOT to worry about how they do it, much less to be responsible for the 'gadget' that did it ... I don't provide their wrenches and shop rags, nor their gadgets!

Last edited by SaniDel; 09-28-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-28-12, 12:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The remaining unknown is the labor cost to perform the update. I'm planning to update in late-November when our 2010 GX 460 goes in for its annual full service and hope to get version 12.1. I'll let the forum know how much I am charged for the labor.
Regards,

SaniDel
You will get the latest Version.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates-nav-upgrade.gif  
Old 09-28-12, 12:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

This is the most complete resource I have found:

http://www.lexusnavigation.com

$169 is the price for all except the first generation of hardware, which is more expensive, perhaps because it was hard-drive based. That supports the suggestion that competition from other electronics will continue to drive down the price. If it was ~ $300 at one time, $169 is a welcome change.

Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. How our dealership gets the update is their business ... I'll neither know nor care if they buy a USB 'gadget', a DVD or download directly. All I want is for the update to be done and NOT to have to worry about how they do it, much less to be responsible for the 'gadget' that did it ... I don't provide their wrenches and shop rags, nor their gadgets!
When I mentioned the $300 figure that was the total cost to install the update. $169 for the USB and $130 or so for the labor at the dealership. I've had a hard time pinning down the dealer as to how much labor is usually involved.
Old 09-28-12, 01:00 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When I mentioned the $300 figure that was the total cost to install the update. $169 for the USB and $130 or so for the labor at the dealership. I've had a hard time pinning down the dealer as to how much labor is usually involved.
It seems strange that something as routine as updating the navigation system isn't standardized. The labor for oil and filter changes, detailing and other routine service items are. I'll find out in late-November!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-28-12, 01:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

It seems strange that something as routine as updating the navigation system isn't standardized. The labor for oil and filter changes, detailing and other routine service items are. I'll find out in late-November!
Regards,

SaniDel
I thought so too. I'm going in in late-Nov too and plan to pin them down a bit on the labor rate.

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates