GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Chrome Piece in Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 04:27 PM
michigangx
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome Piece in Wheels

I'm looking into getting the stock wheels on my 2015 GX Premium powder coated gloss black. After talking with a place that will do that, I explained I wanted the chrome logo in the center cap to stay. He said the only way they'll be able to do that is if the chrome piece separates from the cap. Does anyone know if that's possible? I've seen other GX's with the logo still chrome, just not sure how it was done. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-17-20, 11:59 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

They're molded in place. You could *try* to break the plastic molding, but there's really not enough of a lip on it to get the razor blade on there (if you remove one, you'll see what I mean). When I painted mine, I covered the logo in Vaseline, which allowed the paint to just wipe right off. I know that might not be an option for powder coating though...
Old 09-17-20, 03:32 PM
michigangx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! I may look for alternative options or see if anyone else has had them powder coated and what they did. Detroit Wheel and Tire also does a trade option for gloss black ones and gives you a discount if you send your old wheels back. Might be worth a shot.
Old 09-17-20, 03:35 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by michigangx
Thanks for the reply! I may look for alternative options or see if anyone else has had them powder coated and what they did. Detroit Wheel and Tire also does a trade option for gloss black ones and gives you a discount if you send your old wheels back. Might be worth a shot.
I did the Detroit Wheel swap deal when I switched my 2019 wheels to PVD chrome. The process was flawless. Great shipping boxes and a quick refund of the core charge when they received my painted wheels back. Their website is a bit funky, but I called first to ensure that they sent PVD coated center caps with the new wheels.
Old 09-19-20, 09:30 AM
michigangx
Driver School Candidate

Good to know! How do the chrome wheels look? I was curious if it’d be too much on my black GX. And I was confused about the site saying caps not included. Didn’t know if that meant valve step caps or center caps for the wheels?
Old 09-19-20, 11:11 AM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by michigangx
Good to know! How do the chrome wheels look? I was curious if it’d be too much on my black GX. And I was confused about the site saying caps not included. Didn’t know if that meant valve step caps or center caps for the wheels?
Yes, I had to call Detroit to verify that PVD chrome center caps were included; they don’t list them on the website. I like the Chrome on my Silver Lining, and it goes well with the chrome side trim. It also matches the wife’s silver LS460 with chrome wheels, so we have a matched pair.

The following users liked this post:
michigangx (09-20-20)
Old 09-20-20, 03:41 PM
michigangx
Driver School Candidate

Looks great csrpenfab! That’s a power duo with an LS too! Silver was my first choice but I couldn’t pass up the deal I got on my black GX. I ended up ordering gloss black wheels off of Detroit Tire/Wheel so I’ll update when I get them on!
The following users liked this post:
csrpenfab (09-21-20)