GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

TRD pro wheels vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 01:12 PM
pfrose6
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRD pro wheels vs stock

looking at getting TRD pro 17"in wheels for the GX, but finding they have a 4mm offset vs a 59mm offset for stock GX rims. Can anybody confirm this? thats like a 1.89" difference per side, seems extreme.
Old 09-30-20, 04:14 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by pfrose6
looking at getting TRD pro 17"in wheels for the GX, but finding they have a 4mm offset vs a 59mm offset for stock GX rims. Can anybody confirm this? thats like a 1.89" difference per side, seems extreme.
No matter the OEM Toyota / Lexus wheels (rims) ... the rim width (7" or 7.5") is way too narrow ... with an offset that is way too inboard. IMHO the perfect stance is where the edge of the tire tread is JUST in vertical alignment with the edge of the fender flare to look "planted" and "commanding" without looking obnoxious. Inboard from this reference is a "Soccer Mom" stance ... outboard from this reference is a "Redneck Stance" ... so ANY of the OEM Toyota / Lexus wheels fall into the "Soccer Mom" stance. Yes, the TRD wheels look the business, but the above (for me) is a no-go ... better to go with quality aftermarket rims in 8.0" or 8.5" width for improved on-road handling (less sidewall bulge), with an offset where the edge of the tire tread is in vertical alignment with the edge of the fender flare.

Last edited by ASE; 09-30-20 at 08:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ASE:
GoHuskers (10-03-20), GX95030 (08-07-21), Soap (10-04-20)
Old 10-03-20, 04:13 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pfrose6
I bought these with a +5 offset and they work and look great.
https://www.riseautoparts.com/collec...tuner-wheels-1

Old 10-03-20, 04:27 PM
efaroh
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe stock is 18" x 7.5" +25mm offset. Your desired tire size and suspension set up should be precede your wheel selection.

You can search the forum for various set ups. In my opinion, 17x9 +0 Offset with 285/70/17 on 2” lift is just right. For me at least.
Old 10-03-20, 04:59 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EricT64
I bought these with a +5 offset and they work and look great.
https://www.riseautoparts.com/collec...tuner-wheels-1

... look great ... perfect stance, but these are NOT Toyota OEM TRD Wheels ... they are aftermarket "TRD STYLE" wheels ... with "style" being the operative word. The aftermarket smartly realized that the narrow width combined with the way-to-inboard offset of the Toyota OEM TRD Wheels was a market opportunity for those that like the TRD design, but want a more commanding stance. All good ... but only if the manufacturer is reputable and is not selling a cheap low-grade gravity cast knockoff. Toyota OEM TRD Pro Wheels are forged and manufactured by BBS ... hence the higher price. No-name "Made in China" knockoff's can be dangerous ... with heavier oversize tires only increasing the potential risk of wheel failure. Not that this applies to your purchase ... just saying ...

Tire Rack article on wheel manufacturing methods ...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=90

Last edited by ASE; 10-03-20 at 10:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JRT3 (08-09-21)
Old 10-04-20, 08:34 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
... look great ... perfect stance, but these are NOT Toyota OEM TRD Wheels ... they are aftermarket "TRD STYLE" wheels ... with "style" being the operative word. The aftermarket smartly realized that the narrow width combined with the way-to-inboard offset of the Toyota OEM TRD Wheels was a market opportunity for those that like the TRD design, but want a more commanding stance. All good ... but only if the manufacturer is reputable and is not selling a cheap low-grade gravity cast knockoff. Toyota OEM TRD Pro Wheels are forged and manufactured by BBS ... hence the higher price. No-name "Made in China" knockoff's can be dangerous ... with heavier oversize tires only increasing the potential risk of wheel failure. Not that this applies to your purchase ... just saying ...

Tire Rack article on wheel manufacturing methods ...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=90
No ****. Topline stands behind their wheels and the sell thousands of sets every year. I have a set of the OEM TRD Pro wheels sitting in the garage that I don’t like the gray tint. And actually, the Topline wheels were only ~$100 cheaper.
My post was to show that +5 will fit.
Old 10-04-20, 08:55 AM
ASE
Pole Position

No ****. Topline stands behind their wheels and the sell thousands of sets every year. I have a set of the OEM TRD Pro wheels sitting in the garage that I don’t like the gray tint. And actually, the Topline wheels were only ~$100 cheaper.
My post was to show that +5 will fit.
... if you say so ... sells "thousands" of sets means nothing ... stands behind their wheels may only mean they replace upon failure with no questions asked ... plus the web site link above does not even mention who manufactures the wheels ... so a buyer could receive wheels manufactured by a mystery manufacturer from this retailer. $100 savings is not worth the risk when real TRD wheels are Forged and made by BBS (German Company founded in 1970 that have been defining in the wheel industry).
Old 10-04-20, 09:19 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
... if you say so ... sells "thousands" of sets means nothing ... stands behind their wheels may only mean they replace upon failure with no questions asked ... plus the web site link above does not even mention who manufactures the wheels ... so a buyer could receive wheels manufactured by a mystery manufacturer from this retailer. $100 savings is not worth the risk when real TRD wheels are Forged and made by BBS (German Company founded in 1970 that have been defining in the wheel industry).
Well, go buy some then. I have set them side by side and yes the Topline’s are slightly lighter.
I already have some OEM TRDS that I plan to powder coat gloss black and mount MT tires on . I chose to mount the wider, black ones for the AT tires. I am also getting the F Sport wheels it came with powder coated gloss black and will mount some Michelin tires on for the street.
I damn sure didn’t buy them to be cheap.
Old 10-04-20, 11:31 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Well, go buy some then. I have set them side by side and yes the Topline’s are slightly lighter.
I already have some OEM TRDS that I plan to powder coat gloss black and mount MT tires on . I chose to mount the wider, black ones for the AT tires. I am also getting the F Sport wheels it came with powder coated gloss black and will mount some Michelin tires on for the street.
I damn sure didn’t buy them to be cheap.
Not bashing your choice ... the stance is fantastic, in fact perfect when compared to the Toyota TRD wheels ... just pointing out that not all wheels are created equal based on the manufacturing process and quality controls employed. Topline may very well be a high quality wheel manufacturer ... just saying that many aftermarket wheels are from mystery manufacturers that could represent risk of wheel breakage ... especially when mounting oversize tires. When a wheel breaks up at high(er) speeds, bad things happen.
Old 10-04-20, 11:57 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Can you post a picture down the length of the vehicle ... for placement of the wheel (offset) relative to the edge of the fender flare ? The above appears to be dead-on ... looks planted and commanding (without being obnoxious), with the edge of the tire tread in vertical alignment with the edge of the fender flare.
Old 10-06-20, 07:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
THe TRD pros on the 4runner and Tacoma arent forged. Toyota wouldnt be selling wheels for around $200 each if they are forged. The more expensive TRD pro rims on the Land Cruiser, Tundra and Sequoia are forged by BBS.
Old 10-06-20, 01:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Yeah, they are not forged. Toyota dealers were clearing these TRD wheels out around last Holidays for around $450 for a set of 4. Alot of people jumped on the deal.

Originally Posted by situman
THe TRD pros on the 4runner and Tacoma arent forged. Toyota wouldnt be selling wheels for around $200 each if they are forged. The more expensive TRD pro rims on the Land Cruiser, Tundra and Sequoia are forged by BBS.
Old 10-06-20, 07:11 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Yeah, they are not forged. Toyota dealers were clearing these TRD wheels out around last Holidays for around $450 for a set of 4. Alot of people jumped on the deal.
How do you know they are not Forged ? ... Matt Weal would disagree ... https://www.trdusa.com/wheels.html

Last edited by ASE; 10-06-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 04:24 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
How do you know they are not Forged ? ... Matt Weal would disagree ... https://www.trdusa.com/wheels.html

it's common knowledge that the oe 4r trdp wheels are not forged.

https://www.trdusa.com/parts-detail....egories=Wheels
Click engineering notes - describes as cast

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__4...2035110BK.html
Being described as "cast alum"

https://trail4runner.com/2018/10/31/...full-overview/
Talks about how these are not forged.

The following 3 users liked this post by SlickTRD:
bbqsoup (10-07-20), mwike (11-07-22), RockyMtnLo (10-07-20)
Old 10-07-20, 08:20 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
I only know of one forged manufactured TRD wheel that would probably fit the GX and that is the "Rock Warrior".
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...r45-35010.html

The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (10-07-20)

Quick Reply: TRD pro wheels vs stock