GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

20+ Style headlights conversion for 2014-2019

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 01:43 PM
ncblue
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some I removed from my 2016 before I traded it. Purchased from danyang. After 2 months of them being installed i decided i wanted another vehicle. They still look brand new.
Old 03-27-24, 03:08 PM
ColdIron
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I also went with Attica lights during a Black Friday sale on my 19 Lux. And an evilbay blackline knockoff grill. Very pleased.

The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (03-28-24)
Old 04-01-24, 08:41 AM
ArtsGX
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Link to headlights please

Originally Posted by hzhao
Before I get to the detail, I would like to emphasize couple of points:

1. Those are after market headlights, Not the OEM 2020+ headlights which is NOT compatible with 2014 - 2019 GX.
2. I want thank all the members, especially those had done works with grille that inspired me and contributed many valuable tips, which encouraged and helped me to accomplished this conversion. I never considered myself could do anything involves with “body work”, this was a huge step for me. A big thanks!

Now to the project:

I purchased a set of 2020+ Style headlights from the manufacturer in China. The lights are made for 2014 - 2019 GX, it was a direct plug and play unit with proper harnesses. The lights were very well made, also come with the auto leveling feature. Compare to OEM 2020+ headlights, the after market one also has the DRL combined with sequential turn signal lights with switchback configuration. However, the lights are more likely replicated from European/Asia market OEM unit, it does not have the side marker as in US market. Other than that, it pretty much looks, feels, and functions as OEM 2020+ headlights.

Installation is pretty straight forward, removing the bumper cover as many of members here have done, remove the OEM headlights with four easy access screws, the fitting of new lights are perfect, no difficulty or any mis-alignment at all. Because of the switch back function, the lights also come with a adapter cable, which connects the turn signal light socket to provide turn signal voltage to the headlight unit.

Following are few installation photos, the compare to original lights as mounted:

I spend most of time to figure out what should I do with the original turn signals. Since the headlights has the nice and bright switchback turn signal, by keeping the original turn signal, it is kind of redundant and also looks odd (my personal opinion). I was thinking about to convert it as corner lights which will be activated with turn signal when the headlights were on. But after examine the turn signal reflector, it just not going to have enough light pattern to the corner as it is pretty much designed as a forward illumination. With that, I decided to make it as part of fog driving lights, given its shape and location, it would be nice to compliment the fog, and creat a sort of reverse “L” fog lights combo. So, I made some re-wiring, replaced the original amber LED with white LED, few hours later, here are the results:

https://youtu.be/DkqR7oa3OKI

https://youtu.be/9yyuDHU-RnI

Just for comparison, my 16 LX come with the OEM triple bean headlights, although a different style, but I do find the GX ones does look nicer. (BTW, the Europe/Asia LX does have sequential turn signal as well. Unfortunately, US DOT rule does not allow the sequential turn signal if initial illumination does not meet certain size):

https://youtu.be/gfQnOUxpmNw

Now, for the headlight lamination and pattern, it is fairly close to OEM ones. The lights came with the aiming way off which is expected. Although I don’t have an “official” aiming setup, I just used photos and rough figures from the OEM beam pattern, than adjusted new ones. On brightness, the new one seems a bit brighter compare the OEM one. Here are few non-scientific comparison photos:

https://youtu.be/vf6Rc_cQjUs

The above video clip were taken without fog lights.

In conclusion, it was a pretty good set of headlights with few added features. Now the real test is to see how well it will old up in times. I will be keeping eyes on it and report back for any new findings. For anyone if you have question, I will reply as soon as I can either on this forum or via PM. As respecting to manufacturer’s request, I will not discuss the price in public forum, but will be gladly reply in PM should anyone has the interests.

One extra surprising finding, when I removed bumper cover and disconnected headlight washer hose, I have learned the other end of hose were directly at the bottom of the washing fluid tank, so I just wasted a full tank of washing fluid on the ground
​​​​​​I want to do the same to my 2018. Appreciate link information. Thanks
Old 04-01-24, 11:21 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtsGX
​​​​​​I want to do the same to my 2018. Appreciate link information. Thanks
I was an early adapter, I had worked with a supplier in China and purchased directly from the manufacturer at time. It is more widely available on Aliexpress and few US suppliers. Few posters above has good information on suppliers.
Old 04-01-24, 05:05 PM
CrimsonF
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey guys, how is the reliability for these aftermarket lights?

I had a bad experience with them in my Tacoma before, the light wasn't that strong and the clearcoat started yellowing and peeling after a year...

Looking into buying a GX that already has the upgrade done to it.
Old 04-01-24, 06:56 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonF

I had a bad experience with them in my Tacoma before, the light wasn't that strong and the clearcoat started yellowing and peeling after a year...

No issues with mine since day one so far.
Old 04-02-24, 03:19 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonF

I had them on the updated 2013 that I parted with last week. That set had a loose part in the left light that jiggled on imperfect roads, it did this about a year after being installed. The seller was one of the distributors off Alibaba. They were not helpful whatsoever as it was more than a year since purchase that I discovered this. Before I got rid of the GX last week, I had ordered another set of lights from a different Alibaba supplier. That set appears to be incoming but it also appears that customs grabbed it. Not sure if that will arrive or if Ali will have to make it right.

The set that I put on my 2017 (wife’s daily driver), are fine to this day. They auto level like they should and have been very good optically and so forth. No issues with the quality of the light so far.

The only cautionary tale i will put forward is that, if one breaks, you’ll be a while getting a replacement.