GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

20+ Style headlights conversion for 2014-2019

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 06:14 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by kode3
Is skipping the turn signal feature an option? I'd like to keep OEM functions just with the new lights.
Of cause, just don’t use the pass through wire harness that came with the kit, it will not provided the switch back function.
Old 12-22-20, 08:57 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. My truck is just like yours and I'm liking the look a lot, going to track down these lights asap.
Old 12-29-20, 09:20 AM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hzhao, help please.. check system headlight is on.. trying to figure out how to fix it. but all is working properly after the installs.

Old 12-29-20, 11:18 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by xtian8
hzhao, help please.. check system headlight is on.. trying to figure out how to fix it. but all is working properly after the installs.

If all working, there might be the control pin on connector didn’t seated properly to communicate with headlight ECU. You can try to re-seat the connectors and make sure that all connected securely. Also, if possible to get the actually DTC code of the error to pin point where is the issues. Test all the functions such as auto on/off, etc. You may also to try disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to clear the code.
The following users liked this post:
xtian8 (12-30-20)
Old 12-29-20, 11:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I checked FSM and sometimes there are alternate ways to pull codes besides Techstream or OBD Link. This is not one of those ECUs.

Old 12-30-20, 12:26 PM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hzhao
If all working, there might be the control pin on connector didn’t seated properly to communicate with headlight ECU. You can try to re-seat the connectors and make sure that all connected securely. Also, if possible to get the actually DTC code of the error to pin point where is the issues. Test all the functions such as auto on/off, etc. You may also to try disconnect the battery to reset the ECU to clear the code.

i did the ecu reset thru battery power removal and still errror on the dash.
the shop who installed it did not use the wires that came with the new lights. 2 sets of wirings. , did you guys use it to install? or you use the existing wiring ?
i notice the turn signal is not working as well and the auto leveling.
Old 12-30-20, 01:32 PM
mth2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

The lights look awesome! I agree that having the new grille style would add more. Great documentation on your project.
Old 12-30-20, 03:19 PM
hzhao
Racer

the shop who installed it did not use the wires that came with the new lights. 2 sets of wirings. , did you guys use it to install? or you use the existing wiring ?
Not sure why the shop would have altered wiring. The lights come with proper plug and play configuration. From your photo, it seems shop had cut cut the wires, then just tap the ones for power and switch, then it will be missing signals to headlight EUC and body EUC for headlight status and auto leveling function. It also didn’t use the daisy chain wire for turn signal connection, therefore there will be no turn signal switch back from DRL. My guess is your fog lights may not work either. The shop is really screwed up on that one IMHO.
Old 12-30-20, 03:35 PM
hzhao
Racer

Here is how my headlights connectors look like:

Old 01-09-21, 11:15 PM
Gx460socal
Driver School Candidate

Default 2020 Style Headlights Installed w/Slight Fail

Just joined GX Fam also have a 14 CT. I was able to get myself 2020 style headlights for my 2015. I made the purchase through ebay. Surprisingly they arrived fairly quick considering they came from China.
I installed them as soon as I got them. Everything was great! I love the looks of the 2020 headlights. Everything worked except for the Auto Leveling Function. Keep in mind that these lights are equipped with that feature. I started the GX and noticed that my headlights didn't move up and down. Then I got a message on the cluster "Check Headlight System" and the auto level headlight symbol came up. This bothers me. I have been in contact with the seller and advised me to check all the wiring. Everything physically looks good. I even checked the continuity to majority of the wiring and they were good. I installed the stock headlights back on and no more warning lights.

Now I am considering options:
1. If the seller agrees to a partial refund, Would the dealer or an independent Lexus shop be able to disable or bypass the Auto Leveling Function so the warning message and icon wont come back up?
2. Pay the high shipping cost to return the lights and hope I get a refund and deal with all the BS.

I also got the grill from Ebay. I used plastidip for the surrounding chrome.

SIXTHCOLUM (10-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 01:58 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Calling @hzhao most knowledgeable person here on this topic I'm aware of...
The following 2 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
Acrad (01-10-21), SigEpGX460 (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 07:09 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Gx460socal
Just joined GX Fam also have a 14 CT. I was able to get myself 2020 style headlights for my 2015. I made the purchase through ebay. Surprisingly they arrived fairly quick considering they came from China.
I installed them as soon as I got them. Everything was great! I love the looks of the 2020 headlights. Everything worked except for the Auto Leveling Function. Keep in mind that these lights are equipped with that feature. I started the GX and noticed that my headlights didn't move up and down. Then I got a message on the cluster "Check Headlight System" and the auto level headlight symbol came up. This bothers me. I have been in contact with the seller and advised me to check all the wiring. Everything physically looks good. I even checked the continuity to majority of the wiring and they were good. I installed the stock headlights back on and no more warning lights.

Now I am considering options:
1. If the seller agrees to a partial refund, Would the dealer or an independent Lexus shop be able to disable or bypass the Auto Leveling Function so the warning message and icon wont come back up?
2. Pay the high shipping cost to return the lights and hope I get a refund and deal with all the BS.

I also got the grill from Ebay. I used plastidip for the surrounding chrome.
There are few issues here. First of all, it is unlikely dealer or other will do for disabling the auto leveling feature, since it is a safety feature and doing so may raise liability issues.

There are few components that associated with auto leveling that you can check, the most important, a small motor behind light housing, and control unit at the bottom. The easiest way to diagnose that is to swap the motor with the OEM light. If that worked, you have a defect motor. If that still not working, then there is either you have a defect control unit, or missing something in the controller. You can not swap the control unit since the LED driver is different. You should do this with only one light at time to isolate if just one does not work or both do not not work.

one thing to keep in mind, select your supplier from China is critical, it often happen that some cheaper suppliers making more “look alike” replica rather do for function. I have also seen ones just using defect components from junkyard for the looks only. If your both lights are not working, then you may have fell into one of those suppliers. I will ask for refund for sure.
Old 01-10-21, 08:41 AM
Gx460socal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the guidance Hzhao! Since both lights didn’t auto level up, I’m assuming these we’re not the good supplier. Going in for the refund.
Old 01-11-21, 06:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

xtian8 (02-22-21)
Old 01-11-21, 07:39 AM
hzhao
Racer

Looks like there are different flavors of those lights available now. The ones showing in the video seems does not have the switchback function for the sequential turn signals.

Quick Reply: 20+ Style headlights conversion for 2014-2019