GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

20+ Style headlights conversion for 2014-2019

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 10:55 AM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my 2015 with 2020 headlight/grille conversion. i still have the error code and the auto leveling not working. trying to get a replacement or refund from the seller.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-24-22)
Old 02-22-21, 11:12 AM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gx460socal
Just joined GX Fam also have a 14 CT. I was able to get myself 2020 style headlights for my 2015. I made the purchase through ebay. Surprisingly they arrived fairly quick considering they came from China.
I installed them as soon as I got them. Everything was great! I love the looks of the 2020 headlights. Everything worked except for the Auto Leveling Function. Keep in mind that these lights are equipped with that feature. I started the GX and noticed that my headlights didn't move up and down. Then I got a message on the cluster "Check Headlight System" and the auto level headlight symbol came up. This bothers me. I have been in contact with the seller and advised me to check all the wiring. Everything physically looks good. I even checked the continuity to majority of the wiring and they were good. I installed the stock headlights back on and no more warning lights.

Now I am considering options:
1. If the seller agrees to a partial refund, Would the dealer or an independent Lexus shop be able to disable or bypass the Auto Leveling Function so the warning message and icon wont come back up?
2. Pay the high shipping cost to return the lights and hope I get a refund and deal with all the BS.

I also got the grill from Ebay. I used plastidip for the surrounding chrome.
how did the refund go?
I have the same issue, auto leveling not working as well.
im trying to get a partial refund or full refund as well.

Last edited by xtian8; 02-22-21 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-22-21, 07:35 PM
Stevengx46
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone here convert his 2010 to 2015 facelift Im struggling with wiring the headligh

Originally Posted by hzhao
Before I get to the detail, I would like to emphasize couple of points:

1. Those are after market headlights, Not the OEM 2020+ headlights which is NOT compatible with 2014 - 2019 GX.
2. I want thank all the members, especially those had done works with grille that inspired me and contributed many valuable tips, which encouraged and helped me to accomplished this conversion. I never considered myself could do anything involves with “body work”, this was a huge step for me. A big thanks!

Now to the project:

I purchased a set of 2020+ Style headlights from the manufacturer in China. The lights are made for 2014 - 2019 GX, it was a direct plug and play unit with proper harnesses. The lights were very well made, also come with the auto leveling feature. Compare to OEM 2020+ headlights, the after market one also has the DRL combined with sequential turn signal lights with switchback configuration. However, the lights are more likely replicated from European/Asia market OEM unit, it does not have the side marker as in US market. Other than that, it pretty much looks, feels, and functions as OEM 2020+ headlights.

Installation is pretty straight forward, removing the bumper cover as many of members here have done, remove the OEM headlights with four easy access screws, the fitting of new lights are perfect, no difficulty or any mis-alignment at all. Because of the switch back function, the lights also come with a adapter cable, which connects the turn signal light socket to provide turn signal voltage to the headlight unit.

Following are few installation photos, the compare to original lights as mounted:

I spend most of time to figure out what should I do with the original turn signals. Since the headlights has the nice and bright switchback turn signal, by keeping the original turn signal, it is kind of redundant and also looks odd (my personal opinion). I was thinking about to convert it as corner lights which will be activated with turn signal when the headlights were on. But after examine the turn signal reflector, it just not going to have enough light pattern to the corner as it is pretty much designed as a forward illumination. With that, I decided to make it as part of fog driving lights, given its shape and location, it would be nice to compliment the fog, and creat a sort of reverse “L” fog lights combo. So, I made some re-wiring, replaced the original amber LED with white LED, few hours later, here are the results:

https://youtu.be/DkqR7oa3OKI

https://youtu.be/9yyuDHU-RnI

Just for comparison, my 16 LX come with the OEM triple bean headlights, although a different style, but I do find the GX ones does look nicer. (BTW, the Europe/Asia LX does have sequential turn signal as well. Unfortunately, US DOT rule does not allow the sequential turn signal if initial illumination does not meet certain size):

https://youtu.be/gfQnOUxpmNw

Now, for the headlight lamination and pattern, it is fairly close to OEM ones. The lights came with the aiming way off which is expected. Although I don’t have an “official” aiming setup, I just used photos and rough figures from the OEM beam pattern, than adjusted new ones. On brightness, the new one seems a bit brighter compare the OEM one. Here are few non-scientific comparison photos:

https://youtu.be/vf6Rc_cQjUs

The above video clip were taken without fog lights.

In conclusion, it was a pretty good set of headlights with few added features. Now the real test is to see how well it will old up in times. I will be keeping eyes on it and report back for any new findings. For anyone if you have question, I will reply as soon as I can either on this forum or via PM. As respecting to manufacturer’s request, I will not discuss the price in public forum, but will be gladly reply in PM should anyone has the interests.

One extra surprising finding, when I removed bumper cover and disconnected headlight washer hose, I have learned the other end of hose were directly at the bottom of the washing fluid tank, so I just wasted a full tank of washing fluid on the ground
i need the wire harness come with it I think that fit 2010 model let me know man please
Old 02-22-21, 07:54 PM
Stevengx46
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need those extra harness pm if u sell it

Here is how my headlights connectors look like:

I need those extra harness pm if u sell it
Old 02-22-21, 09:40 PM
Gx460socal
Driver School Candidate

Default Refund

Originally Posted by xtian8
how did the refund go?
I have the same issue, auto leveling not working as well.
im trying to get a partial refund or full refund as well.

my refund went well. I received a full refund minus the cost of shipping them back to China ($320). It was an eBay seller from China.

with the refund, I purchased a set from alibaba. However, I’ve ordered them on 1/22/21 and still no lights 2/22/21. When it does arrive, I just hope it works out.
xtian8 (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 12:33 PM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gx460socal
my refund went well. I received a full refund minus the cost of shipping them back to China ($320). It was an eBay seller from China.

with the refund, I purchased a set from alibaba. However, I’ve ordered them on 1/22/21 and still no lights 2/22/21. When it does arrive, I just hope it works out.
got mine from Alibaba too, and trying to get refunds. same problem, Auto leveling not working.
with chinese new year.. lost of delays on shipping. goodluck.
Old 02-23-21, 07:24 PM
DrWGCA
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Chenglong Hu on Alibaba is the way to go. Code 'LIKEMIKE' for $800 set. Shipping price sucks, but WHO CARES??? THEY WORK!!! NO decoder needed..... Sorry to all who have had troubles.....
The following 3 users liked this post by DrWGCA:
GX*BOB (10-14-21), SIXTHCOLUM (10-10-21), xtian8 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 08:59 AM
Kiza
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWGCA
Chenglong Hu on Alibaba is the way to go. Code 'LIKEMIKE' for $800 set. Shipping price sucks, but WHO CARES??? THEY WORK!!! NO decoder needed..... Sorry to all who have had troubles.....
Can I have a link? My searching skills on Alibaba are apparently terrible, can't find Chenglong
kode3 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 11:17 AM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrWGCA
Chenglong Hu and Danyang Kailite Auto Parts is the same on Alibaba?

https://m.alibaba.com/product/160011...00000%22%7D%7D

Last edited by xtian8; 02-25-21 at 11:21 AM.
GX*BOB (10-14-21)
Old 02-25-21, 11:27 AM
xtian8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kiza
Can I have a link? My searching skills on Alibaba are apparently terrible, can't find Chenglong
Search for Danyang Kailite Auto Parts as the seller. Contact name is Chenglong.
Old 03-22-21, 12:57 PM
toyofolife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illuminate me

Before I get to the detail, I would like to emphasize couple of points:

1. Those are after market headlights, Not the OEM 2020+ headlights which is NOT compatible with 2014 - 2019 GX.
2. I want thank all the members, especially those had done works with grille that inspired me and contributed many valuable tips, which encouraged and helped me to accomplished this conversion. I never considered myself could do anything involves with “body work”, this was a huge step for me. A big thanks!

Now to the project:

I purchased a set of 2020+ Style headlights from the manufacturer in China. The lights are made for 2014 - 2019 GX, it was a direct plug and play unit with proper harnesses. The lights were very well made, also come with the auto leveling feature. Compare to OEM 2020+ headlights, the after market one also has the DRL combined with sequential turn signal lights with switchback configuration. However, the lights are more likely replicated from European/Asia market OEM unit, it does not have the side marker as in US market. Other than that, it pretty much looks, feels, and functions as OEM 2020+ headlights.

Installation is pretty straight forward, removing the bumper cover as many of members here have done, remove the OEM headlights with four easy access screws, the fitting of new lights are perfect, no difficulty or any mis-alignment at all. Because of the switch back function, the lights also come with a adapter cable, which connects the turn signal light socket to provide turn signal voltage to the headlight unit.

Following are few installation photos, the compare to original lights as mounted:

I spend most of time to figure out what should I do with the original turn signals. Since the headlights has the nice and bright switchback turn signal, by keeping the original turn signal, it is kind of redundant and also looks odd (my personal opinion). I was thinking about to convert it as corner lights which will be activated with turn signal when the headlights were on. But after examine the turn signal reflector, it just not going to have enough light pattern to the corner as it is pretty much designed as a forward illumination. With that, I decided to make it as part of fog driving lights, given its shape and location, it would be nice to compliment the fog, and creat a sort of reverse “L” fog lights combo. So, I made some re-wiring, replaced the original amber LED with white LED, few hours later, here are the results:

https://youtu.be/DkqR7oa3OKI

https://youtu.be/9yyuDHU-RnI

Just for comparison, my 16 LX come with the OEM triple bean headlights, although a different style, but I do find the GX ones does look nicer. (BTW, the Europe/Asia LX does have sequential turn signal as well. Unfortunately, US DOT rule does not allow the sequential turn signal if initial illumination does not meet certain size):

https://youtu.be/gfQnOUxpmNw

Now, for the headlight lamination and pattern, it is fairly close to OEM ones. The lights came with the aiming way off which is expected. Although I don’t have an “official” aiming setup, I just used photos and rough figures from the OEM beam pattern, than adjusted new ones. On brightness, the new one seems a bit brighter compare the OEM one. Here are few non-scientific comparison photos:

https://youtu.be/vf6Rc_cQjUs

The above video clip were taken without fog lights.

In conclusion, it was a pretty good set of headlights with few added features. Now the real test is to see how well it will old up in times. I will be keeping eyes on it and report back for any new findings. For anyone if you have question, I will reply as soon as I can either on this forum or via PM. As respecting to manufacturer’s request, I will not discuss the price in public forum, but will be gladly reply in PM should anyone has the interests.

One extra surprising finding, when I removed bumper cover and disconnected headlight washer hose, I have learned the other end of hose were directly at the bottom of the washing fluid tank, so I just wasted a full tank of washing fluid on the ground

Howdy,
Sorry if I’m not replying to this properly, it’s my first message on here.

I am the proud owner of of 2017 GX 460 premium and stumbled into some YouTube videos from BOB doing a grill and headlight conversion and it looked awesome but it looked like he had some difficulty. He would drop your name and I saw on this forum you did the work as well with a little less difficulty. I was wondering if you had contacts that would allow me to get the same grill and headlight conversion that I could complete as well. I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you.
Old 03-22-21, 03:50 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by toyofolife
Howdy,
Sorry if I’m not replying to this properly, it’s my first message on here.

I am the proud owner of of 2017 GX 460 premium and stumbled into some YouTube videos from BOB doing a grill and headlight conversion and it looked awesome but it looked like he had some difficulty. He would drop your name and I saw on this forum you did the work as well with a little less difficulty. I was wondering if you had contacts that would allow me to get the same grill and headlight conversion that I could complete as well. I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you.
I didn’t do the grille, just the headlights. My contact and supplier is in China, and can only communicate in Chinese. If you have the means to do so, I am more than happy to provide the info to you. Just PM me.
Old 04-30-21, 10:05 PM
TucsonGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Link request

Can someone please send me a quality 20+ headlight link for the lowest price?
Old 05-02-21, 11:38 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

I saw the pics and video of the bulb pattern for the new ones - are they HID or what? I want to do a grill swap on my wife’s 17 GX but would be interested in doing the whole nose swap if these headlights actually hold up and put out the same light as the HIDs do.
Old 05-02-21, 11:46 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
I saw the pics and video of the bulb pattern for the new ones - are they HID or what? I want to do a grill swap on my wife’s 17 GX but would be interested in doing the whole nose swap if these headlights actually hold up and put out the same light as the HIDs do.
Those are full LED lights.
Piney1 (05-02-21)

Quick Reply: 20+ Style headlights conversion for 2014-2019