GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HOW TO: Disable TPMS dash light (TPMS Delete)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 07:37 PM
Razel0821
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A

Originally Posted by fe342185
I successfully disabled mine today by connecting a wire between pin 5 & 6.

Note that on my 2017 premium, the pink and yellow wires were pin 4&5. Pin 6 was red. I tried connecting the yellow and pink at first because of a video on YouTube but unfortunately that did not work. The red(pin 6) and yellow (pin 5) just needs to be connected.

My reason for disabling is to fit a 265/70 R17 All terrain tire in the spare location. It fits but tire pressure is at 10 psi. I have an onboard air so that’s OK.
I watched the same video on youtube and the yellow and pink wire didn't work on my GX 2016 Premium. I read your response and switch the pink to red and magic no more TPMS light on the dash! Thanks for the assistants
Old 03-24-22, 12:06 PM
TheNomad
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

When yours did not work was it due to an intermittant problem? Mine is a 2013 Premium and I did the pink and yellow. The light will flash with bumps in the road. Sometimes stay on. Everything is soldered so the only odd connection would be the harness plug but I don't think that is the issue.
I'll try the red wire.
Old 03-24-22, 07:13 PM
Razel0821
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switch from pink to red worked on my 2016 Premuim

Originally Posted by TheNomad
When yours did not work was it due to an intermittant problem? Mine is a 2013 Premium and I did the pink and yellow. The light will flash with bumps in the road. Sometimes stay on. Everything is soldered so the only odd connection would be the harness plug but I don't think that is the issue.
I'll try the red wire.

I'm unsure if the 10 to 13 have the same wiring diagram as the 14 to 19. Having said that the switching from pink to red worked for my 16 Premium
Old 03-24-22, 07:44 PM
TheNomad
Driver School Candidate

I tried the red wire and it seemed to do less. I also got a P0500 "speed sensor" CEL.
I'm going to have to do some multimeter work and get a closer look at the diagram. I did have a good connection on the pink and yellow wires but once i hit bumps it started to flash and come back randomly. Not sure I can check for any poor connections at the wiring harness. It works fine in its factory setup
Old 03-25-22, 10:29 AM
TheNomad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LexusGXOR/permalink/2021466181317818

[2014-2019 wiring]

[2010-2013]

Some of the images were a bit fuzzy but this is what I got from the diagram for 10-13.

Is this correct? This also matches with my image of my '13 plug.
I'll go out and check for 5V on mine with Multimeter.
I got a speed sensor error when I connected 5 and 6. Not sure why as 2 should be Speed.

Initially did pink and yellow and it wasn't working, and the wiring diagram confirms why.

The following users liked this post:
Razel0821 (03-25-22)
Old 03-25-22, 11:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I never did this mod myself.

Sorry about the pics...it is a very large stock wiring diagram book and hard to get on a flatbed scanner.

Old 07-10-23, 01:52 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Apparently this ECU has been moved further up into headliner area '18+

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lexu...6989015765533/

Started reading the whole thread and found this!! Figures, they change the damn location on the 2018s..

Now wondering how to access this.. Would I need to pull back the headliner or is there a better way.. @Acrad any more detailed pics on this ? Any suggestions on how to tackle accessing it ? Know anyone who might have a step by step ?

Edit : Here’s a video that helps accessing the receiver

https://youtu.be/f2zf47RK148

Thank you sir!! You’re amazing!!

Last edited by m5rahul; 07-10-23 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 03:21 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Okay so it seems like the unit next to the shark fin is the receiver and antenna, but not the ecu ? Am I right ? If so, anyone know where the brain is ? Not sure disconnecting the receiver will disable the light and, in fact, may throw a CEL ..

Last edited by m5rahul; 07-10-23 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 03:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

From what I gather it is up in that area but more to the left.

Would you happen to have a borescope camera you could use with your phone or standalone to look around in there and see if you can identify any wire colors?

Old 07-10-23, 06:04 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

From what I gather it is up in that area but more to the left.

Would you happen to have a borescope camera you could use with your phone or standalone to look around in there and see if you can identify any wire colors?
Yeah, it ( the receiver / antenna ) are a bit to the left and not too far in at all. Once I pulled the headliner down I had excellent visibility all around and pretty far back, and there was no other box other than this one.

Accessing the module took ~ 3 minutes at most.

Steps:

Remove rear dome light
Pull down some of the weather stripping, and watch for the black crud / grease like material that may get on your clothes and the headliner and is a PITA to clean!
Pull down the headliner ( there are two white plastic tabs, one on the left and another on the right that need to be popped before pulling down the headliner )
The TPMS receiver/antenna ( labelled Toyota TPMS Assembly ) is a black ( not RED , at least in my case ) box behind the left white tab you popped in the step above, and it is held in place by a 10mm bolt. Remove the bolt and slide out the module.
May wanna use a rubber mallet or something similar to hold down the headliner while you're working on the box.

Things I tried :

- Disconnected the unit ( just pulled the tab ), fired up the vehicle... and the TPMS light stayed on, but no CEL came up so .. yeah.
- Then, went ahead and stripped the yellow and red wires and connected a jumper, in vain !! Perhaps I should've tried other combinations, but in the process of stripping the yellow wire I accidentally cut it and was out of butt connectors so had to make a home depot run, and then had a work meeting so had to stop. Gah!!
- What I did do though after the failed attempt, was scan using the OBDLink MX+ and it showed a C2121 code ( No Signal from Transmitter ID1 in Main Mode ), and I cleared it..and the TPMS light went off once I restarted the vehicle. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have done this prior to working the other wires ( iirc, there is a dark *cherry* red, a white and blue, apart from the yellow and red one that did not work )

Quite sure the TPMS light will be back ( I hope it doesnt! lol ) soon enough and I'll be at it again. Perhaps, this time I'll make a video and take some pics of the process!

I am wondering if the TPMS receiver / antenna / ECU are all the same ?

Another reason you 2020+ GX owners are so lucky!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-10-23)
Old 07-11-23, 02:56 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

And.. it’s back !

TPMS error

Description of error
Old 07-11-23, 03:55 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

So does that code mean a bad sensor, or the elusive ECU is bad ? Or the transmitter/ antenna ?

Also, I just can’t get the psi readings from the OBDLink to show.. downloaded the advanced options too..

Last edited by m5rahul; 07-11-23 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 04:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It's more than likely just one of your TPMS sensors... I know it mentions the ECU here but I've never heard of that failing on the 460 and then still reading the 4 other sensors fine.

I'm not near my vehicle to look right now but assume you are connecting the TPMS network. Since you are pulling a TPMS code that is more than likely the case.

I'd have to look at what TPMS gauges I have selected for each tire sensor. Might be a day or so away before I can do that.

Last edited by Acrad; 07-11-23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 03:08 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Thanks Acrad.. I did select 'Tire Pressure Monitor' from that second screen shot you posted.

Wondering though even if one of the 4 or 5 sensors quit, why wouldn't it display the output for the others ?

Looking forward to your findings on the TPMS gauges..
Old 07-13-23, 03:04 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I assume you have driven vehicle since reset or ECU disconnect for over 30 minutes above 25MPH?

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Disable TPMS dash light (TPMS Delete)