GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2020+ GX Bulbs - conversion to LED

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 05:50 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
5,000k is also "shrill" in terms of effect.
Yeah, I would think so as well.
Old 07-16-21, 05:52 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
There is no longer a technology limitation to LED's operating in the lower color temperature range. In the automotive space ... the majority of web-based retailers are all about cheap-*** LED's in the higher color temperatures given they are more cost effective (meaning profitable) for the LED suppliers ... selling to people who do not know the difference ... those that believe Color Temperature = Brightness.
Good to know and I'm fine paying for a better bulb.
Old 07-16-21, 05:53 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by M4rk
5000K vs 6000K: the fiver will be a little closer to a pure white. I've had other 6000K bulbs in the past with far more blue hue. These are more white than blue and have been great so far, especially for the price. I usually do order VLEDS, FWIW.

@ASE I need these to avoid stepping in puddles like a pheasant. My Gucci loafers must not get wet when I visit Walmart to get groceries.
Got it...Gucci loafers
Old 07-16-21, 08:30 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

So I had some time here and did a quick Google search for warm LED color bulbs. These from superbrightleds seem to fit the bill nicely. I was thinking the 3 LED ones for the map lighting and either the 5 or 15 LED ones for everything else. The 15 LED may be over kill though as dome lights? I also don't believe our Lexus needs CAN Bus LED bulbs for the interior but haven't confirmed it yet. I believe it's only needed for exterior lights such as turn signals/etc? Also, has anyone heard of Diode Dynamics LEDs and are they really worth the premium?

194 -3 LEDs Warm 2.7K 34 Lumens - 120 degree beam lighting - Comparable Incadescent 5-10 watt $3 a piece

194 - 5 LEDs Warm 3K 110 Lumens 360 degree beam lighting - Comparable Incadescent 5-10 watt $5 a piece

921 - 15 LED Warm 2.9K 100 Lumens 360 degree beam lighting- Comparable Incadescent 10-15 watt $7 a piece
Old 07-16-21, 09:02 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
So I had some time here and did a quick Google search for warm LED color bulbs. These from superbrightleds seem to fit the bill nicely. I was thinking the 3 LED ones for the map lighting and either the 5 or 15 LED ones for everything else. The 15 LED may be over kill though as dome lights? I also don't believe our Lexus needs CAN Bus LED bulbs for the interior but haven't confirmed it yet. I believe it's only needed for exterior lights such as turn signals/etc? Also, has anyone heard of Diode Dynamics LEDs and are they really worth the premium?

194 -3 LEDs Warm 2.7K 34 Lumens - 120 degree beam lighting - Comparable Incadescent 5-10 watt $3 a piece

194 - 5 LEDs Warm 3K 110 Lumens 360 degree beam lighting - Comparable Incadescent 5-10 watt $5 a piece

921 - 15 LED Warm 2.9K 100 Lumens 360 degree beam lighting- Comparable Incadescent 10-15 watt $7 a piece
When possible I stick with Sylvania-Osram bulbs ... been making bulbs since most were born so they are not a web-based fly-by-night supplier ... especially with headlight bulbs where the focal location of the light source is critical.
Old 07-16-21, 07:30 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX

give them a try and report back, prices are reasonable.

Originally Posted by ASE
When possible I stick with Sylvania-Osram bulbs ... been making bulbs since most were born so they are not a web-based fly-by-night supplier ... especially with headlight bulbs where the focal location of the light source is critical.
with technology advances in todays market - brand loyalty is stupid when someone else offers a similar product. take a chance and try something else.
Old 07-16-21, 08:15 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WRD4chano

with technology advances in todays market - brand loyalty is stupid when someone else offers a similar product. take a chance and try something else.
"Technology Advances" ... what does that mean ? ... that anybody with a slick web site can design and produce a bulb that meets DOT standards ? Now THAT is both stupid logic and stupid advice.

With Headlight Bulbs ... no thanks ... I don't think many of these these web-based companies (who source from random China suppliers) have the resources to actually design and manufacture a bulb that has the light source properly positioned from a focal standpoint for controlled light projection down the road ... requires $$'s to both design and manufacture ... so for me, I'll stick with a known company that has been in this business for 50++ years with products that meet industry standards and have the certification to back up their products.

For interior lights ... great ... "give them a try and report back" ... who cares ... the light source can scatter all over the place ... it really does not matter in these applications.

Last edited by ASE; 07-17-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-17-21, 05:37 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

My two cents on interior bulbs: I swapped all bulbs in my ISF to the entry-level VLEDS in 5000K. Even with a "low" lumen output, they are too bright for my liking. There's nothing like having a solar flare shining in your eyes when you open up the car door at night. But, they've held up perfectly so far (6 years). I am going against the trend and keeping interior lights stock in my GX.

I agree with ASE; proper illumination and light output is important to me also. Anything low beam/brake light/turn signal should be top quality. Swapping the turn signal bulbs to LEDs turned into quite the ordeal on my previous vehicle as the DiodeDynamics bulbs I chose produced less usable light output than the stock incandescent units. Road sign illumination was subpar and it was apparent my turn signals were not adequately visible based on other drivers' behavior.
Old 07-17-21, 10:05 AM
ASE
Pole Position

My two cents on interior bulbs: I swapped all bulbs in my ISF to the entry-level VLEDS in 5000K. Even with a "low" lumen output, they are too bright for my liking. There's nothing like having a solar flare shining in your eyes when you open up the car door at night. But, they've held up perfectly so far (6 years). I am going against the trend and keeping interior lights stock in my GX.

I agree with ASE; proper illumination and light output is important to me also. Anything low beam/brake light/turn signal should be top quality. Swapping the turn signal bulbs to LEDs turned into quite the ordeal on my previous vehicle as the DiodeDynamics bulbs I chose produced less usable light output than the stock incandescent units. Road sign illumination was subpar and it was apparent my turn signals were not adequately visible based on other drivers' behavior.
DOT Certification (US Standard) and TUV Certification (German Standard) ... should be the purchase criteria for anyone who cares about the quality (design and manufacture) of automotive bulbs ... with the latter being more stringent in terms of testing. Any motivated a-hole can develop a slick web site and attach super bright LED's to a standard bulb base ... and reap major profits selling to those who do not know the difference.
Old 07-21-21, 08:02 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
Will do as the risk/cost is low to try it out.
Old 07-21-21, 08:17 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Agree, I also don't want interior lighting that feels like I'm being interrogated when I open the door. This is why I prefer the warmer lights (3-4K) and want to keep the lumens reasonably even though the equivalent ratings can be debatable. I'll likely use the 921 bulbs for the running boards and door puddle lights since those are below eye level and not as much of a nuisance. The 194 bulbs will be used for the rest of the locations such as the domes/map/vanity lights but I may elect to put 921 bulbs in the cargo area dome depending on output. Also if I'm being honest with myself, I tend to need more usable light as I get older which is the real driver behind wanting to swap the lights out. I also won't be changing any other exterior lighting as it doesn't seem worth the effort and of course with a 2021 my headlights are already LED. FWIW, there was another good posting on this form here regarding LED lighting and where @WRD4chano discovered hyper flashing with no resistor in place when a turn signal was left on long term: Interior and Running Board LED Upgrade @M4rk you also commented on that thread too.

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by L3xusGX; 07-21-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-11-21, 07:28 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Sorry for the long delay, but I finally had time here to post my results. Here's what I used:

194 - 5 LEDs Warm 3K 110 Lumens 360 degree beam lighting - Comparable Incandescent 5-10 watt $5 a piece ==> These were used in the rear cargo dome light.

921 - 15 LED Warm 2.9K 100 Lumens 360 degree beam lighting- Comparable Incandescent 10-15 watt $7 a piece ==> These were used for the running boards and door puddle lights.

I initially used the 921 15 LED bulb in the rear cargo area but the wife felt it was too bright so I swapped them for the 194 5 LED bulb instead. However I didn't really perceive that much of a difference. That said, the rear cargo area is bright enough at this point that I didn't bother changing the dome/map lights in the rear or front seating areas. I may still go back and change them to the 194 3 LED version just so all the lighting is the same color temp. Anyhow, I hope this helps others in their choice for interior LED lighting as well.

Passenger running boards with OEM bulb

Passenger running boards with 921 - 15 LED bulbs

Door puddle OEM bulb

Door puddle 921 - 15 LED bulb

Door puddle OEM bulb

Door puddle 921 - 15 LED bulb

Rear Cargo OEM bulb

Rear Cargo OEM bulb

Rear Cargo OEM bulb

Rear Cargo 194 - 5 LEDs

Rear Cargo 194 - 5 LEDs

Rear Cargo 194 - 5 LEDs

The following users liked this post:
M4rk (08-12-21)
Old 08-11-21, 07:41 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

For those interested, here's a few shots of the bulbs side by side in the cargo area. I also included a couple shots of the factory bulb and the door puddle housing that shows a 5W capacity stamp.