GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2020+ GX Bulbs - conversion to LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 02:57 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2020+ GX Bulbs - conversion to LED

I have a 21 GX coming within a week. Want to get all initial upgrades ready. Can someone confirm couple things.
- Will earlier years WeatherTech floor mats fit? I see a bunch used in a great shape for sale
- I like everything LED.
- Exterior: I assume I will need to change turn signals front and rear (7440) and reverse lights (921). Are the puddle, running board & license plate bulbs (168) still non-LED?
- Interior: Are door and dome lights still non-LED?
Thanks!
Old 10-11-20, 03:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

- IIRC... '14+ has a different mat retention that should work with your '21
- AFAIK: Correct... on all questioned lights still being non-LED except LP... that has always been LED IIRC.
Old 10-11-20, 03:33 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad
- IIRC... '14+ has a different mat retention that should work with your '21
- AFAIK: Correct... on all questioned lights still being non-LED except LP... that has always been LED IIRC.
Thank you for a quick answer. Placing an order now.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (10-11-20)
Old 10-30-20, 09:52 AM
ritwiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Thank you for a quick answer. Placing an order now.
I have '21 GX with sport pkt. Wondering where are you going to buy LED Burbs ? Please share your experience after installed. Thanks .
Old 10-30-20, 01:24 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by ritwiu
I have '21 GX with sport pkt. Wondering where are you going to buy LED Burbs ? Please share your experience after installed. Thanks .
Just took delivery of 21GX and bought all from VLEDS.com. Always have been buying from them. Now they have 15% promo. Toyota10 code for 10% always works when no other promos.

Front turn signal V6 Triton model (best out of all). You can buy them with ballasts plug and play so no wiring tapping to get rid off wiper flashing. Get proper 3 or 6 Ohm depending if you doing just front or front/rear
Back has limited space so regular 7440 from them
backup 921
Interior, door, puddle lights 14x 192 bulbs. (didn't change visor bulbs as never used those)

Whole conversation takes 30-45 min
ritwiu (11-02-20)
Old 07-14-21, 05:15 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Just took delivery of 21GX and bought all from VLEDS.com. Always have been buying from them. Now they have 15% promo. Toyota10 code for 10% always works when no other promos.

Front turn signal V6 Triton model (best out of all). You can buy them with ballasts plug and play so no wiring tapping to get rid off wiper flashing. Get proper 3 or 6 Ohm depending if you doing just front or front/rear
Back has limited space so regular 7440 from them
backup 921
Interior, door, puddle lights 14x 192 bulbs. (didn't change visor bulbs as never used those)

Whole conversation takes 30-45 min
Any chance you have before and after pictures of the conversion? What about the running boards? I like to go all LED for the interior at a minimum since it's fairly dark in the back at night when getting things out of the GX. However, while I want more light I don't necessarily like the extreme bright white color temp bulbs that have a blue tint to them and prefer to maintain the softer natural light if possible. I see you can select a color temp as low as 5K which is what I would do but ideally would have preferred it around 3K. On a side note, their vehicle selector doesn't work for the 2021 model but choosing 2019 brings up the Lexus. It also appears their suggestion for interior bulbs is now the 194. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by L3xusGX; 07-14-21 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-14-21, 08:21 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
Any chance you have before and after pictures of the conversion? What about the running boards? I like to go all LED for the interior at a minimum since it's fairly dark in the back at night when getting things out of the GX. However, while I want more light I don't necessarily like the extreme bright white color temp bulbs that have a blue tint to them and prefer to maintain the softer natural light if possible. I see you can select a color temp as low as 5K which is what I would do but ideally would have preferred it around 3K. On a side note, their vehicle selector doesn't work for the 2021 model but choosing 2019 brings up the Lexus. It also appears their suggestion for interior bulbs is now the 194. Thanks in advance!
Could not agree more on color temperature ... 6,000k to 7,000k for Headlights is fine, but for anything else this color temperature is too "shrill" ... completely unnatural to the point of being uncomfortable ... so 3,000k to 3,500k is best for interior lighting. As most do not understand ... Color Temperature and Lumens are two different things ... but many associate a higher color temperature with light output or brightness, so companies cater to this lack of understanding by pushing higher color temperatures.

Last edited by ASE; 07-14-21 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 04:31 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I have some before and after shots. The bulbs are AUXITO 194 in 6000K.

kamikazi (12-11-21)
Old 07-15-21, 12:05 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M4rk

The after picture looks like a "Luner Lander" dropping down from Mars. The 6,000k color temperature is way too high. Why does anybody need "Daylight" color temperature under their vehicle ? Are you concerned about running over bugs ?

Last edited by ASE; 07-15-21 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 12:45 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
Could not agree more on color temperature ... 6,000k to 7,000k for Headlights is fine, but for anything else this color temperature is too "shrill" ... completely unnatural to the point of being uncomfortable ... so 3,000k to 3,500k is best for interior lighting. As most do not understand ... Color Temperature and Lumens are two different things ... but many associate a higher color temperature with light output or brightness, so companies cater to this lack of understanding by pushing higher color temperatures.
No doubt and something I always appreciated at Home Depot is their display showing the color temp range of bulbs so consumers can make a more educated purchase decision. It certainly has allowed me to steer clear of the bright whites for our living conditions when finally transitioning over. I also remember reading that we are naturally adapted to the 3K-4K color temp due to our atmosphere filtering our sunlight into that range. That said, I can understand the color temperature output of earlier LEDs bulbs due to technology limitations which may or may not still be an issue on a smaller scale. I haven't really looked around much up to this point. I just know there are a lot of options out there so your results can vary depending on what you choose.
Old 07-15-21, 12:52 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by M4rk
I appreciate the before/after as it puts the color temp into perspective. I wonder if the 5K is a bit more toned down? Do you happen to know if it's the same 194 bulb offered on VLEDS.com?
Old 07-15-21, 05:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

No doubt and something I always appreciated at Home Depot is their display showing the color temp range of bulbs so consumers can make a more educated purchase decision. It certainly has allowed me to steer clear of the bright whites for our living conditions when finally transitioning over. I also remember reading that we are naturally adapted to the 3K-4K color temp due to our atmosphere filtering our sunlight into that range. That said, I can understand the color temperature output of earlier LEDs bulbs due to technology limitations which may or may not still be an issue on a smaller scale. I haven't really looked around much up to this point. I just know there are a lot of options out there so your results can vary depending on what you choose.
It was not until the early 1900's that electric lighting emerged ... so flame based lighting was what we humans lived with for thousands and thousands of years that was in the 2,700k to 3,000k color temperature range. It was not until Fluorescent / High-Intensity-Discharge / LED lighting emerged in the later 21st century that we humans were subjected to the physical effects of these unnatural light sources. Put monkeys in a cage with these higher color temperatures for an extended period of time and they ultimately go insane and start eating each other. Headlights ... great ... go for the 6,000k to 7,000k color temperature to illuminate the road ... but for anything where one is directly exposed ... my vote is 3,000k ... specifically for interior vehicle lighting. If one needs brighter, then go for a higher lumen output bulb and not a higher color temperature.

Last edited by ASE; 07-15-21 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 05:26 PM
ASE
Pole Position

I appreciate the before/after as it puts the color temp into perspective. I wonder if the 5K is a bit more toned down? Do you happen to know if it's the same 194 bulb offered on VLEDS.com?
5,000k is also "shrill" in terms of effect.
Old 07-15-21, 05:33 PM
ASE
Pole Position

There is no longer a technology limitation to LED's operating in the lower color temperature range. In the automotive space ... the majority of web-based retailers are all about cheap-*** LED's in the higher color temperatures given they are more cost effective (meaning profitable) for the LED suppliers ... selling to people who do not know the difference ... those that believe Color Temperature = Brightness.
Old 07-16-21, 04:17 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

5000K vs 6000K: the fiver will be a little closer to a pure white. I've had other 6000K bulbs in the past with far more blue hue. These are more white than blue and have been great so far, especially for the price. I usually do order VLEDS, FWIW.

@ASE I need these to avoid stepping in puddles like a pheasant. My Gucci loafers must not get wet when I visit Walmart to get groceries.
ASE (07-16-21)

Quick Reply: 2020+ GX Bulbs - conversion to LED