GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 12:26 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Ah!! I remember that I think. Let me see if that works thank you.

Nope, my carplay volume was set at max. Let me know if you can send over a pic when you’re home. No rush.
Damn, that's unfortunate. If nothing else works, try reaching out to GROM support, they seem to be pretty responsive.

Last edited by Ab175; 05-10-21 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 01:31 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
Damn, that's unfortunate. If nothing else works, try reaching out to GROM support, they seem to be pretty responsive.
I will have to. They still never replied to my first email so I gotta send another one.
Old 05-10-21, 01:33 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

I will have to. They still never replied to my first email so I gotta send another one.
I made a support ticket through their website and got a response pretty quick both times I did, if you haven't done that yet, I would try it. On the GROM website on the bottom right there is a support window.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ab175:
IanB2 (05-11-21), MrTorgue (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 03:36 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

I made a support ticket through their website and got a response pretty quick both times I did, if you haven't done that yet, I would try it. On the GROM website on the bottom right there is a support window.
Will do. Thanks!
Ab175 (05-10-21)
Old 05-11-21, 06:35 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Nice glad you got it fixed!
Got that fixed, started playing around with it and realized the mic doesn't seem to be working. Mine is a '15, it did not come with a new mic, but has a 3.5mm jack in the wiring that I've connected together, assuming it utilized the OEM mic on this model, is that accurate?
Old 05-11-21, 08:27 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Got that fixed, started playing around with it and realized the mic doesn't seem to be working. Mine is a '15, it did not come with a new mic, but has a 3.5mm jack in the wiring that I've connected together, assuming it utilized the OEM mic on this model, is that accurate?
Yes, per the installation manual I believe the vline utilizes the OEM microphone. I am also having problems with this as when I receive a phone call through carplay, nobody can hear me, or if they can it sounds like I am underwater. Mine is a 2014 so it had the same setup.
IanB2 (05-11-21)
Old 05-11-21, 08:56 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

my microphone on the factory side says not connected anybody figure out how to fix this?
Old 05-11-21, 09:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Yes, per the installation manual I believe the vline utilizes the OEM microphone. I am also having problems with this as when I receive a phone call through carplay, nobody can hear me, or if they can it sounds like I am underwater. Mine is a 2014 so it had the same setup.
I heard back from them this morning, they want me to try making a call over the GROM, which I didn't do yesterday...I'm pretty sure I know how that's going to go, but I'll jump through the hoops and see what they can do to assist. They seem pretty good about getting back to me so far, but it's a slow process.
Old 05-11-21, 04:04 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

My Vline isn’t using my factory mic so I’ll have to install theirs. I at least have a good spot for it I think.
Old 05-11-21, 04:46 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I think year 14+ uses lexus mic. Mine 2010 uses the one t hat comes with the unit.

My Vline isn’t using my factory mic so I’ll have to install theirs. I at least have a good spot for it I think.
IanB2 (05-12-21)
Old 05-11-21, 04:51 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Don Perez Presard, the one who organized group buy for these put together a tips post on Facebook that I'm reposting here hope it helps someone.

------

Since a lot of you just recently got your Grom VLine or are waiting for shipment, here are some advanced tips I've compiled on how to take full advantage of the capabilities of these units beyond Apple CarPlay, clean up your install, etc. Feel free to use this thread to get your VLine-related questions answered, or to throw in your own tips. The next group discount window for the $130 promo code is tonight thru May 18, so just message me the name and email you'll use to order if you want in.
-Junk the YouTube plugin that comes pre-installed, it only plays audio. Download the full version of YouTube from the Play Store to play videos. Same goes for the plugin version of Spotify, it isn't nearly as good as the full version in the Play Store. I think these plugins are meant to protect Grom from lawsuits in case you crash, so they can say they gave you driving-optimized apps without all the features, Spotify background video loops, etc.
-Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ removed themselves from the Play Store for automotive devices, but it's trivially easy to sideload the APK (Android equivalent of .exe). Search the app name + apkmirror in Chrome, download the most recent APK (not bundle) from that site, and enable installing apps from outside the Play Store when prompted. There are also third-party app stores that download and automatically update APKs if you prefer, Aptoide is a popular one.
-Before you do anything, and every couple weeks, update the software and firmware to the latest versions for best performance (fastest way is to tap the Support app and go to the third link down), and download GApps on the same screen, which allows you to run apps and use voice to text. (iPhone owners, this includes you -- it's equally compatible running Android apps with iPhones and Android phones, since it's only using your phone as a wifi hotspot.)
-You don't actually need your phone at all, or any other data/wifi signal, to use most of the VLine's key functions if you do a little setup first. I recommend downloading offline maps in Google Maps settings for anywhere you're likely to be, so you still have navigation (Lexus OEM nav doesn't count) if something happens to your phone, or if you just don't feel like connecting it. It'll just use the VLine's GPS antenna to locate you, and will have all the map data as if connected to 4G. For media, Netflix and Spotify let you download movies and albums/playlists to play offline. For those who have a library of "backed up" music/movies, keep your media plugged into the VLine using a micro SD card up to 128gb or any size USB flash drive / portable hard drive and use your playback app of choice.
-When you start running apps outside of CarPlay/Android Auto, download Chrome browser first since it'll autofill your account info for most apps. Also download GBoard, Google's better keyboard that comes with most new Android phones, and open it to set it as default -- it lets you use voice to text input in every text field, not just in apps with the native mic button.
-If you want to run Apple CarPlay over USB to charge, or will be using Android Auto, consider replacing your front cigarette lighter port with a USB extender like this one for a clean OEM+ look:
Amazon Amazon
-For Android users who want to use apps on VLine outside AA often, MacroDroid is the best solution I've found for turning on the phone's hotspot when you start the car without touching your phone. I've attached a screenshot of my macro setup, it turns on hotspot when the phone connects to the car's Bluetooth if the battery is over 40%, or when I plug in the phone while connected to the car's Bluetooth if below that charge level. I've been using YouTube on mine a lot lately, and with this setup it's on wi-fi and continuing the video I was last watching within a couple seconds of starting the car. If your car doesn't have factory Bluetooth, you could tie it to the VLine's Bluetooth, or MacroDroid has a trigger that uses your phone's sensors to determine that you're in a moving car. I'm not sure whether there's an iOS app that allows automating the hotspot feature without rooting the phone.
-Any bluetooth or USB air mouse, gamepad, touchpad, PS4 controller, etc that works in Android will work with the VLine, and will offer a more responsive way to navigate around than resistive touchscreens. My favorite alternative input device I've tested is an air mouse called Dupadstory G20s, it's $12 on Amazon. See video below for a demo -- it lets you scroll thru apps using directional pad or click and drag, plus has buttons for play/pause, back, home, context menu, voice assistant, and track skip.
-Please don't videogame and drive, but the VL2 has plenty of processor speed and RAM to smoothly run up to date mobile games and console emulators including N64, Dreamcast, etc. The RetroArch app (https://www.maketecheasier.com/retroarch-android-guide/) is a good place to start if you want to offer your passenger such games. You also can of course use the HDMI in port to plug in a Nintendo Switch, etc and use your nav screen as its monitor.
-Grom's default voice command button activates your default nav app and enters the destination for you. If you want it to also answer questions like Google Assistant does, go to Settings > Apps and Notifications > Default Apps > Assistant & Voice Input, and change it to Google Now.
-OBD apps like Torque and OBD Fusion work well with any Bluetooth OBD reader, the same way they would on your phone.
-If you want a custom home screen that looks nicer than plain Android and has useful widgets for media playback, CarPlay, etc, a lot of users like Car Launcher / Car Launcher Pro. Agama is another popular one.
-I like using the Pocket app on VLine (saves articles and webpages from your phone or browser extension for reading later) to read me articles in its text-to-speech mode while driving. Open the app while on wifi to sync it with your account and catch up on stuff you haven't had time to read.
-For install, if you don't have one, order any of the cheap plastic pry tool kits from Amazon so you can easily take apart the dash without marking anything up. It's about $6 there, and triple that at the auto parts stores. If you're considering paying a shop to install, definitely don't -- this is a much easier job than you'd think, no experience or skill required, and there are step by step videos on YouTube for each compatible car. Anyone who can swap out a cabin air filter or assemble Ikea furniture can do it in under an hour.
-If you're having trouble keeping the VLine connected to a wifi signal for running apps outside of CarPlay, it's because you're trying to run wireless CarPlay and wifi at the same time -- like your phone, the VLine can't run a hotspot and connect to wifi simultaneously, and it uses its hotspot to connect to wireless CarPlay. So if you have wireless CarPlay set to connect automatically, and the VLine detects a paired phone's bluetooth and wifi signals, it will turn its hotspot on and wifi off to start connecting CarPlay. To prevent this, either switch wireless CarPlay connection from automatic to manual while using the VLine on wifi, or switch your phone's Bluetooth off.
-If you have the issue where volume resets itself to 22, contact Grom tech support, they've solved that now -- it was an issue with some of the power cables for 2014+ GX, and they'll send you the new replacement cable if it's happening to yours. If you have any other issues, check for software and firmware updates first. Grom pushes out updates every couple weeks or faster, or whenever someone brings a bug to their attention. So be sure to check every now and then. If you're on the latest versions, the best way to reach tech support for troubleshooting is to use the chat tool at the bottom right corner of their website during Texas business hours. When it says support online, they'll answer within seconds. They're very on the ball about ironing out any issues -- I've seen where owners who had a bug walked tech support through it, and Grom released a fix within a week or so.

-----
Old 05-11-21, 05:41 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbqsoup

OBD apps like Torque and OBD Fusion work well with any Bluetooth OBD reader, the same way they would on your phone

-----
This isn’t really accurate unfortunately. The VeePeak ODBII Bluetooth reader doesn’t work with the Vline. I’d be curious to find out 100% confirmed ODBII readers that DO work. I need one for the vline and Phoenix px6 in my 470.
Old 05-11-21, 05:41 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

I think year 14+ uses lexus mic. Mine 2010 uses the one t hat comes with the unit.
Haha figures!
Old 05-11-21, 09:21 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I got Torque Lite to work with my genuine ELM chipset.

This isn’t really accurate unfortunately. The VeePeak ODBII Bluetooth reader doesn’t work with the Vline. I’d be curious to find out 100% confirmed ODBII readers that DO work. I need one for the vline and Phoenix px6 in my 470.
Old 05-11-21, 11:14 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Don Perez Presard, the one who organized group buy for these put together a tips post on Facebook that I'm reposting here hope it helps someone.

------

Since a lot of you just recently got your Grom VLine or are waiting for shipment, here are some advanced tips I've compiled on how to take full advantage of the capabilities of these units beyond Apple CarPlay, clean up your install, etc. Feel free to use this thread to get your VLine-related questions answered, or to throw in your own tips. The next group discount window for the $130 promo code is tonight thru May 18, so just message me the name and email you'll use to order if you want in.
-Junk the YouTube plugin that comes pre-installed, it only plays audio. Download the full version of YouTube from the Play Store to play videos. Same goes for the plugin version of Spotify, it isn't nearly as good as the full version in the Play Store. I think these plugins are meant to protect Grom from lawsuits in case you crash, so they can say they gave you driving-optimized apps without all the features, Spotify background video loops, etc.
-Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ removed themselves from the Play Store for automotive devices, but it's trivially easy to sideload the APK (Android equivalent of .exe). Search the app name + apkmirror in Chrome, download the most recent APK (not bundle) from that site, and enable installing apps from outside the Play Store when prompted. There are also third-party app stores that download and automatically update APKs if you prefer, Aptoide is a popular one.
-Before you do anything, and every couple weeks, update the software and firmware to the latest versions for best performance (fastest way is to tap the Support app and go to the third link down), and download GApps on the same screen, which allows you to run apps and use voice to text. (iPhone owners, this includes you -- it's equally compatible running Android apps with iPhones and Android phones, since it's only using your phone as a wifi hotspot.)
-You don't actually need your phone at all, or any other data/wifi signal, to use most of the VLine's key functions if you do a little setup first. I recommend downloading offline maps in Google Maps settings for anywhere you're likely to be, so you still have navigation (Lexus OEM nav doesn't count) if something happens to your phone, or if you just don't feel like connecting it. It'll just use the VLine's GPS antenna to locate you, and will have all the map data as if connected to 4G. For media, Netflix and Spotify let you download movies and albums/playlists to play offline. For those who have a library of "backed up" music/movies, keep your media plugged into the VLine using a micro SD card up to 128gb or any size USB flash drive / portable hard drive and use your playback app of choice.
-When you start running apps outside of CarPlay/Android Auto, download Chrome browser first since it'll autofill your account info for most apps. Also download GBoard, Google's better keyboard that comes with most new Android phones, and open it to set it as default -- it lets you use voice to text input in every text field, not just in apps with the native mic button.
-If you want to run Apple CarPlay over USB to charge, or will be using Android Auto, consider replacing your front cigarette lighter port with a USB extender like this one for a clean OEM+ look: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66N1JK...able-for-vline...
-For Android users who want to use apps on VLine outside AA often, MacroDroid is the best solution I've found for turning on the phone's hotspot when you start the car without touching your phone. I've attached a screenshot of my macro setup, it turns on hotspot when the phone connects to the car's Bluetooth if the battery is over 40%, or when I plug in the phone while connected to the car's Bluetooth if below that charge level. I've been using YouTube on mine a lot lately, and with this setup it's on wi-fi and continuing the video I was last watching within a couple seconds of starting the car. If your car doesn't have factory Bluetooth, you could tie it to the VLine's Bluetooth, or MacroDroid has a trigger that uses your phone's sensors to determine that you're in a moving car. I'm not sure whether there's an iOS app that allows automating the hotspot feature without rooting the phone.
-Any bluetooth or USB air mouse, gamepad, touchpad, PS4 controller, etc that works in Android will work with the VLine, and will offer a more responsive way to navigate around than resistive touchscreens. My favorite alternative input device I've tested is an air mouse called Dupadstory G20s, it's $12 on Amazon. See video below for a demo -- it lets you scroll thru apps using directional pad or click and drag, plus has buttons for play/pause, back, home, context menu, voice assistant, and track skip.
-Please don't videogame and drive, but the VL2 has plenty of processor speed and RAM to smoothly run up to date mobile games and console emulators including N64, Dreamcast, etc. The RetroArch app (https://www.maketecheasier.com/retroarch-android-guide/) is a good place to start if you want to offer your passenger such games. You also can of course use the HDMI in port to plug in a Nintendo Switch, etc and use your nav screen as its monitor.
-Grom's default voice command button activates your default nav app and enters the destination for you. If you want it to also answer questions like Google Assistant does, go to Settings > Apps and Notifications > Default Apps > Assistant & Voice Input, and change it to Google Now.
-OBD apps like Torque and OBD Fusion work well with any Bluetooth OBD reader, the same way they would on your phone.
-If you want a custom home screen that looks nicer than plain Android and has useful widgets for media playback, CarPlay, etc, a lot of users like Car Launcher / Car Launcher Pro. Agama is another popular one.
-I like using the Pocket app on VLine (saves articles and webpages from your phone or browser extension for reading later) to read me articles in its text-to-speech mode while driving. Open the app while on wifi to sync it with your account and catch up on stuff you haven't had time to read.
-For install, if you don't have one, order any of the cheap plastic pry tool kits from Amazon so you can easily take apart the dash without marking anything up. It's about $6 there, and triple that at the auto parts stores. If you're considering paying a shop to install, definitely don't -- this is a much easier job than you'd think, no experience or skill required, and there are step by step videos on YouTube for each compatible car. Anyone who can swap out a cabin air filter or assemble Ikea furniture can do it in under an hour.
-If you're having trouble keeping the VLine connected to a wifi signal for running apps outside of CarPlay, it's because you're trying to run wireless CarPlay and wifi at the same time -- like your phone, the VLine can't run a hotspot and connect to wifi simultaneously, and it uses its hotspot to connect to wireless CarPlay. So if you have wireless CarPlay set to connect automatically, and the VLine detects a paired phone's bluetooth and wifi signals, it will turn its hotspot on and wifi off to start connecting CarPlay. To prevent this, either switch wireless CarPlay connection from automatic to manual while using the VLine on wifi, or switch your phone's Bluetooth off.
-If you have the issue where volume resets itself to 22, contact Grom tech support, they've solved that now -- it was an issue with some of the power cables for 2014+ GX, and they'll send you the new replacement cable if it's happening to yours. If you have any other issues, check for software and firmware updates first. Grom pushes out updates every couple weeks or faster, or whenever someone brings a bug to their attention. So be sure to check every now and then. If you're on the latest versions, the best way to reach tech support for troubleshooting is to use the chat tool at the bottom right corner of their website during Texas business hours. When it says support online, they'll answer within seconds. They're very on the ball about ironing out any issues -- I've seen where owners who had a bug walked tech support through it, and Grom released a fix within a week or so.

-----
thanks for posting this, I was having the issue with the volume randomly setting itself back to 22. I opened a support ticket to hopefully get a new cable. I am disappointed that I missed out on ordering through the group buy, considering I bought two vlines. Rip 260$

Quick Reply: GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13