GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 08:25 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@HZHao, I'm really torn between these two units. I see using the OEM mic and being able to listen to OEM audio source while interacting with the unit as a major plus. The GROM seems more polished perhaps. Does the LSAILT have access to the google play store? Being able to install any app from the GP store is functionality I would need/want. I have not been able to find a user manual for the LSAILT. There's a group buy on the GROM coming up, I just can't decide between the two.
Old 11-14-20, 03:46 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by KYGX
@HZHao, I'm really torn between these two units. I see using the OEM mic and being able to listen to OEM audio source while interacting with the unit as a major plus. The GROM seems more polished perhaps. Does the LSAILT have access to the google play store? Being able to install any app from the GP store is functionality I would need/want. I have not been able to find a user manual for the LSAILT. There's a group buy on the GROM coming up, I just can't decide between the two.
@KYGX yes. Lsailt unit comes with Google Play Store and you can install any apps from the store.
Old 11-16-20, 07:37 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

The more I played with the Vline2, the more I like it. There are some quirks that takes a bit of time to getting used to or remember but overall it’s pretty good.

Apple Airplay wireless connection is pretty quick. However, in order to have internet tether from the phone to the init in wireless Airplay, you need to go into the unit Bluetooth setting and connect the phone to BT with internet option checked (no audio). And you have to do this almost every time. I’m not sure if other years are the same but on my 2010, BT doesn’t stay connect in Airplay. And sometimes it take one than a couple of tries to get BT connect with internet.
If you just use Airplay then it is not necessary to connect to BT with internet.

If disconnect Airplay and use wire, then it connects even faster. However to get internet you have to connect it to your phone’s hotspot. Even though it is saved, it doesn’t connect automatically (not always). I have to go into my phone and toggle the hotspot button on/off and then it would connect.

One thing good about wired airplay is that it frees up the phone wifi for my OBD2 dongle.
Plus it also charges the phone when connected for wired Airplay.

I downloaded a few apps to try with Internet in Android mode
There’s no Netflix in Google Play Store
Amazon Prime video works great. Pretty quick too. Thursday Night Football is cool 😎
HBO Max doesn’t seem to work. It gives black screen and I couldn’t get out until I hard power it (pull cable).
No Disney Plus
Youtube video works great
Youtube music works good too
I couldn’t get any free OBD app to work with my dongle.

Since I installed there were at least 2 updates from Grom so they are actively improving and fixing bugs. Nice to know they are doing it.

One thing to note, the sound going through Airplay (music, youtube etc..) is lower than going through BT
The native maps, google, waze are good and accurate and voice command is pretty good.

Will continue to play with it more, especially phone calls. I disabled audio via Lexus BT and only have Phone connected. But I may add back audio.

Last edited by bbqsoup; 11-16-20 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-16-20)
Old 11-19-20, 01:38 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"Since I installed there were at least 2 updates from Grom so they are actively improving and fixing bugs. Nice to know they are doing it."

LOL!

Since I installed a year ago, they have disabled both the ability to choose your own launcher for startup and use of the Steering Wheel Phone Controls while the VLine is in use. Both of these make the unit much LESS user friendly.

And, I should mention, Customer Service continues to blow.
Old 11-19-20, 03:59 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I was able to download a different launcher and loaded it a few weeks ago. I didn't like how it look so I went back to the default. I upgraded to 3.28 last week but just saw a msg from a youtuber video I'm following that he upgraded and bricked his unit.

I haven't able to use the phone much due to working from home but I used it once since installed and it worked ok for me. What kind of phone controls you use on the steering wheel?

Originally Posted by NothingNew
"Since I installed there were at least 2 updates from Grom so they are actively improving and fixing bugs. Nice to know they are doing it."

LOL!

Since I installed a year ago, they have disabled both the ability to choose your own launcher for startup and use of the Steering Wheel Phone Controls while the VLine is in use. Both of these make the unit much LESS user friendly.

And, I should mention, Customer Service continues to blow.
Old 11-19-20, 04:21 PM
NothingNew
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm at the same version due to glitches with the backup camera. Those were solved, but I'd actually prefer to downgrade (no help from GROM on that, btw).

As for steering wheel controls, you should be able to access the factory phone menu in the Nav/AV unit even while using the Vline just by hitting the call button on the inner RH side of the steering wheel. For a call, I'd hit that button then choose from the list of "Recently Dialed" numbers that appeared. If it was the most recent call, just hitting that button twice would do the job.

The Phone Steering Wheel controls are now disabled while using the VLINE. In order to get them back, you have to reach over to the Nav/AV and hit the "Info/Phone" button. The buttons will work like they are supposed to after that. It's a minor complaint, yes, but it's a bug and they won't address it. "Simply press Phone button on your stereo," they say. Fix the problem is my response.

Regarding the launcher, you should give CarWebGuru a try. Works better and looks better than what GROM provides.

Old 11-20-20, 08:03 AM
KYGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would inside the dash mounted speaker compartment be an acceptable to place to install the microphone? I'm not sure if it would work or not, but that would be a clean place to install.
Old 11-20-20, 08:41 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

I did downloaded CarwebGuru and tried it for a few hours or so but deleted it. Initial impression was that it was too busy and looks like the UI of my old double-deck JVC unit or a MP3 player from early days. LOL. It has some cool features though. I will give it a try again.

Originally Posted by NothingNew

Regarding the launcher, you should give CarWebGuru a try. Works better and looks better than what GROM provides. [/color]

Old 11-20-20, 08:44 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

I'm not sure if mounting it there would distort the voice or not. It is small and very easy to hide with the double tape. You can just not using the little mount and stash it somewhere - I thought about taping it inside the front vent when I had it a part. Now that I've mounted where it is, I don't even notice it.

Originally Posted by KYGX
Would inside the dash mounted speaker compartment be an acceptable to place to install the microphone? I'm not sure if it would work or not, but that would be a clean place to install.
Old 11-24-20, 09:37 AM
Adso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I was able to download a different launcher and loaded it a few weeks ago. I didn't like how it look so I went back to the default. I upgraded to 3.28 last week but just saw a msg from a youtuber video I'm following that he upgraded and bricked his unit.

I haven't able to use the phone much due to working from home but I used it once since installed and it worked ok for me. What kind of phone controls you use on the steering wheel?
Hi. I'm on 3.27 now, would you recommend to stay there?
On the other hand, are you getting any firmware update available? I'm on the 32.29 version and I get the message “Available LEX789 release” Size -1B (?) , but when clicking install I always get “incorrect MD5 file is corrupted”. I have this problem since August... No problem with Vline updates.
Old 11-24-20, 04:01 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Version 3.28 fixed some of the issues for me. Faster wifi connection, and maybe BT as well. It also fixed the issue I had with Youtube where I can not get out of fullscreen. I think it's worth an upgrade, just make sure you have strong wifi signal to full download it.
I haven't seen any firmware upgrade since I got mine. Did you see it today?

Also, I downloaded Car Launch Free version and like it much better than Car Web Guru. Much better interface and function even though the free version is limited.

Originally Posted by Adso
Hi. I'm on 3.27 now, would you recommend to stay there?
On the other hand, are you getting any firmware update available? I'm on the 32.29 version and I get the message “Available LEX789 release” Size -1B (?) , but when clicking install I always get “incorrect MD5 file is corrupted”. I have this problem since August... No problem with Vline updates.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-24-20)
Old 11-24-20, 04:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I am leaning heavily for this to be an upgrade for me next year... maintenance and mods on other non-460 items currently has my attention
Old 11-24-20, 04:52 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I think you will like it.
Yesterday I drove to SF downtown and purposely just used it without Carplay and connected to my hotspot for wifi. Google Map works flawlessly it even has traffic updates, routes alternative as well as announcing "Speed trap" ahead instead of "Police ahead" like Waze. The NAV guidance voice is clear and right on. One thing to note is that when connecting to the unit BT, the sound is lower than the Lexus BT.

Originally Posted by Acrad
I am leaning heavily for this to be an upgrade for me next year... maintenance and mods on other non-460 items currently has my attention
Old 11-24-20, 05:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Did you mount microphone up near stock '10-'18 location? Of course '19+ moved microphone over to the left of driver as well.
Old 11-24-20, 05:19 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I mounted it on the instrument panel right above the Start/Stop button. You can probably find a good spot somewhere on the steering column or below it for it as well.

Originally Posted by Acrad
Did you mount microphone up near stock '10-'18 location? Of course '19+ moved microphone over to the left of driver as well.

Quick Reply: GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13