GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Break-in period for new GX460 engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 01:01 PM
qwertykid0
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGX
Toyota/Lexus vehicles are very forgiving. That's a great viewpoint re: the leased vehicles. There are ALOT of high-mileage Toyota/Lexus vehicles out there. I have a 99 4Runner that just hit 401,000 miles and doesn't leak a drop of anything. I had an 2007 BMW 530 with 130k miles and there was always some new leak or electrical gremlin to deal with.

I saw the following on the comments section of Jalopnik a while back and took a screenshot because it really made me laugh:

"See, here's the thing: Japanese cars don't require maintenance.
You can park it on the street in the snow, never change the oil, never get it serviced, and somehow it will keep driving for 150k miles without complaining. And if something does break...just replace it...that one faulty part won't cause the rest of the car to fall apart.
Meanwhile, if you look at a German car wrong, the control arm joints die, which causes the car to judder under braking, which warps the rotors, which unevenly wears the pads, which rattles the engine, which breaks a knock sensor, which damages the engine, which totals the car."
100%. My mother bought a 2-3 year old Toyota Camry earlier this decade. She has done ZERO maintenance other than the occasional oil change, filling up gas, and changing of wiper blade. And that thing is so well-built, it still drives pretty strongly with zero issues. Japanese cars, as a general rule of thumb, are built to survive owners who do little maintenance. Whereas German cars need regular maintenance (and then some!). I was in a German SUV prior to this GX and got rid of it at around 50K miles. I didn't have any major issues other than needing Cats replaced, tailgate kick sensor stopped working, and some strut noise (all replaced under warranty). I also dealer-serviced the SUV every 10K at the dealer as well. But was a bit concerned that post warranty, of the upkeep, and so moved onto a new GX instead. I'm ok with less awesome driving dynamics and no apple carplay for the bank vault of a GX I'm in.
Old 11-15-20, 07:07 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by qwertykid0
I'm ok with less awesome driving dynamics and no apple carplay for the bank vault of a GX I'm in.
This is 100% of the reason why I left all other auto makers behind and bought something I always knew was “boring”, a Toyota. Something I said I’d never do, buy a Toyota. Well **** I bought two and I finally get it. Perhaps boring is what I should of done decades ago instead of always going after the cool, fast and disposable. I ****ing love both my 470 and 460 and will die with only owning these and inheriting my dad’s ‘02 Silverado Z71 2500HD 6.0L gas long bed, you know, back when GM trucks didn’t suck.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
hadokenuh (11-17-20), qwertykid0 (11-15-20)
Old 11-17-20, 08:43 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

On our 2019, I drained the factory oil and changed the filter at 109, 1764, 4849, and 7743 miles and did a UOA on each drain and fill and the wear numbers are down to normal levels at the 7743 drain.

The wear numbers even at the 1784 change were excellent compared to other engines

Your front and rear diff and TC are just as important as the engine IF you're going to be keeping this forever.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexusGXFan:
mountaineer (08-10-24), qwertykid0 (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 09:47 AM
qwertykid0
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
On our 2019, I drained the factory oil and changed the filter at 109, 1764, 4849, and 7743 miles and did a UOA on each drain and fill and the wear numbers are down to normal levels at the 7743 drain.

The wear numbers even at the 1784 change were excellent compared to other engines

Your front and rear diff and TC are just as important as the engine IF you're going to be keeping this forever.
Wow. That’s hyper vigilant. Nice. I’m thinking of doing an oil change at 1K. Then at 5K. Hopefully that’s sufficient. And then every 5K after that.

then agree on all the other maintenance. I heard it’s good run the center diff and 4lo once a month just to keep the system working.
Old 12-25-20, 04:52 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the GX (and all Lexus models) use synthetic oil, oil changes are based more on mileage than on time. If you only drive your vehicle for 1500 miles in 6 months, you don't need to change the oil. Sounds like someone (like a dealer) is trying to sell you 'oil changes.'
Old 12-25-20, 07:21 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The 1UR-FE is still prone to fuel dilution issues with short trips. If you are severe service, the 6 months would be the time to change, regardless of miles.
Old 12-25-20, 07:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
Since the GX (and all Lexus models) use synthetic oil, oil changes are based more on mileage than on time. If you only drive your vehicle for 1500 miles in 6 months, you don't need to change the oil. Sounds like someone (like a dealer) is trying to sell you 'oil changes.'
With every new engine the first couple of oil changes contain high amounts of metal from the engine breaking in. If you leave this oil circulation it acts as microscopic sandpaper. For prevention change the oil as mentioned. In other vehicles I have done the same with very good results. It’s not about the oil breaking down it’s about getting the contaminants out.
The following users liked this post:
ASE (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 08:09 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Another oil thread...Ugh! I would like to see data for all of the claims being made above (metal flakes, fuel dilution). What do you mean by Wear Numbers? You mean you are actually ripping the engine apart and assessing the wear on the engine parts? I have yet to see ANY correlation between UOA and actual engine wear!!! (see Bob is the oil Guy) Really metal in the oil from break-in, you have some serious issues (I'd like to see the oil test report). I have seen studies with data on lubricating and cooling capabilities of synthetic oil and the oil lasts well over 10K miles. Next time you are thinking of changing your oil (and the environmental consequences), get it tested (Blackstone labs for example). For my "other car", I have researched oil changes and found studies where you are literally increase chance of problems by too frequent oil changes.
Northcut (12-27-20)
Old 12-26-20, 09:57 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
With every new engine the first couple of oil changes contain high amounts of metal from the engine breaking in. If you leave this oil circulation it acts as microscopic sandpaper. For prevention change the oil as mentioned. In other vehicles I have done the same with very good results. It’s not about the oil breaking down it’s about getting the contaminants out.
Agree ... first oil change at 1,200 miles looks like gunpowder was dissolved in the oil ... microscopic shimmering particles in suspension that the oil filter cannot remove from circulation. I also switch from 0w-20 to 10w-30 given the rest-of-world specification for the same engine recommends heavier multi-grade. Running 0w-20 is great for meeting CAFE fleet numbers and for getting a rounding error improvement in gas mileage, but for me ... I'll take engine longevity as recommended BY TOYOTA in countries where government regulation does not cloud the law of physics.
Old 12-26-20, 08:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

UOA’s consistently show high amounts of metal with the first 2 - 3 oil changes. Showing how this affects the engine over time is not a simple matter. But it is quite logical that does. In my opinion, the effect would be more notable in overall longevity - oil consumption and potentially how well the rings seat. I have also read a number of articles that basically say the majority of the break-in happens within the first 200 miles.

Let me just put it this way, I used the same advise and changed my oil in my new WRX at about 500 miles and again at 2000 miles. When tuning the vehicle the tuner mentioned how my engine was putting down more HP than he saw in many other of the same vehicles. I attributed this to the break-in process I followed and the frequent early oil changes but I can’t prove it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-26-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 08:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ASE
Agree ... first oil change at 1,200 miles looks like gunpowder was dissolved in the oil ... microscopic shimmering particles in suspension that the oil filter cannot remove from circulation. I also switch from 0w-20 to 10w-30 given the rest-of-world specification for the same engine recommends heavier multi-grade. Running 0w-20 is great for meeting CAFE fleet numbers and for getting a rounding error improvement in gas mileage, but for me ... I'll take engine longevity as recommended BY TOYOTA in countries where government regulation does not cloud the law of physics.
Any other comments on the difference between 10w-30 and 0w-20 in how the engine performs?

Northcut (12-27-20)
Old 12-26-20, 10:30 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Any other comments on the difference between 10w-30 and 0w-20 in how the engine performs?
The Lexus GX460 uses the 1UR-FE engine that is also used in the below models and non-US markets ...Search for the Toyota oil recommendation for these non-US markets.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
Lavrishevo (12-29-20), Northcut (12-27-20)
Old 12-29-20, 09:33 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I could see myself try 5w-30 in warmer months but not 10w-30, a bit thick for me. I also see 0w-18 at Walmart for new Toyota and Honda. WOW!

Lavrishevo (12-29-20)
Old 12-29-20, 09:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I could see myself try 5w-30 in warmer months but not 10w-30, a bit thick for me. I also see 0w-18 at Walmart for new Toyota and Honda. WOW!
I was thinking about the same thing. I will probably switch to 5w-30.
Old 12-30-20, 01:39 PM
mth2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with above. Drove my 2019 GX off the lot and didn't do anything different than usual. I have had three 4Runners ('02, '15, '16) and did the same to those. The first one had 239k miles when I sold it and still ran like a champ!

Quick Reply: Break-in period for new GX460 engine