GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fender Liner Removal and Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23 | 09:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

@nuclearn8 Thanks again for the tip on the replacement plug from Amazon. Not worth the effort and time trying to save the old ones
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (06-28-23)
Old 01-24-24 | 07:41 AM
jcontradiction
2nd gear

Default removing fender liner screw

Local Toyota dealer replaced the window washer line and they didn't put the fender liner properly.
I am trying to reinstall it but this one just spins and doesn't come out. Can someone help me figure out how to remove this fender liner screw without damaging the liner?

Old 01-24-24 | 08:23 AM
mike202
Intermediate

I am trying to reinstall it but this one just spins and doesn't come out. Can someone help me figure out how to remove this fender liner screw without damaging the liner?
How about taking it back to the dealer?

If that doesn't work out, try pulling the bolt while turning using vise grips. If it doesn't come out, saw off the head and remove the liner. Not sure if there if there is a cage nut behind there or not.
Old 01-24-24 | 11:39 AM
BullionGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcontradiction
Local Toyota dealer replaced the window washer line and they didn't put the fender liner properly.

Take a flat head screwdriver and put it under the washer while pushing that washer up against the bolt head and keep pressure on it while slowly turning the bolt out.
Old 01-24-24 | 02:09 PM
jcontradiction
2nd gear

The dealer already messed up a bunch of other things. I have little trust they can fix it without breaking other things.
Old 03-09-24 | 08:04 AM
victorjohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
The heavier a vehicle is the less fuel efficient it is, the less cargo it can haul or tow. all negatives from a manufacturer's perspective. Most sound deadening is heavy, at least the dynamat style materials are...

At the end of the day I agree with you... it's a never-ending battle, regardless the vehicle... some vehicles are like riding in a wind tunnel, like my parents 2015 chevy equinox... it's alarming the db level inside at highway speeds, damn near dangerous for your hearing health in terms of exposure on long trips... Lexus does a really good job overall in terms of interior noise levels, no vehicle is perfect though, I just try to make small gains where I can as I own the vehicle.... I'm been playing around with the idea of adding some rockwool safe and sound insulation to the rear cargo wheel well voids behind the plastic panels. I think that would help a lot and a package would do it all for $50. It's easily cut with a knife and deadens sound like a champion in house applications.
Hi Nuclearn8,

I have been trying to find ways to reduce road noise in my 2006 Lexus LS 430. I’ve had the car for about five years and it just seems louder than it was when I got it. I just put on some new tires and that may have helped just a little bit but not that much. I also have the 18 inch Lexus wheels which I have been told are going to be louder. Nevertheless, I am looking for ways to mitigate road noise and I came across your post. What has been successful for you or the most efficient in reducing road noise? Or should I just live with it? Thanks!
Old 03-12-24 | 10:58 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by victorjohn
Hi Nuclearn8,

I have been trying to find ways to reduce road noise in my 2006 Lexus LS 430. I’ve had the car for about five years and it just seems louder than it was when I got it. I just put on some new tires and that may have helped just a little bit but not that much. I also have the 18 inch Lexus wheels which I have been told are going to be louder. Nevertheless, I am looking for ways to mitigate road noise and I came across your post. What has been successful for you or the most efficient in reducing road noise? Or should I just live with it? Thanks!
Check out the first post in my ownership log. Lots of quick links there on noise reduction I've undertaken. Perhaps the most noticeable was removing all 4 door panels and then trunk panel and doing this to them.

I also removed the cargo area side panels and thru in some rockwool sound / fire barrier insulation, that helped a lot kill the road noise into the rear of the vehicle.

Ultimately the door and window weather-stripping is the weak point from the noise perspective. I have a fluttering sounds at the top left of my driver's door that is caused by my drivers door slightly moving at highway speeds and high wind that I can hear and can't figure out how to remedy.
Old 03-12-24 | 12:18 PM
victorjohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Check out the first post in my ownership log. Lots of quick links there on noise reduction I've undertaken. Perhaps the most noticeable was removing all 4 door panels and then trunk panel and doing this to them.

I also removed the cargo area side panels and thru in some rockwool sound / fire barrier insulation, that helped a lot kill the road noise into the rear of the vehicle.

Ultimately the door and window weather-stripping is the weak point from the noise perspective. I have a fluttering sounds at the top left of my driver's door that is caused by my drivers door slightly moving at highway speeds and high wind that I can hear and can't figure out how to remedy.
Thanks Nuclearn8 - I very much appreciate your response. Last weekend I applied 303 specifically designed for rubber door trim. Gave it an application on Saturday and then hit it again on Sunday. I really don't think it did anything at all noise-wise as the rubber seemed to be in pretty good shape to begin with but now they're nice and clean and conditioned. I also walked around the car tapping on it from the outside. What you said rang very true. I noticed the trunk lid and side panels were very tinny or hollow sounding. Tackling the trunk area with noise abatement material seems pretty easy. I start to get a little nervous when it comes to removing the door cards however. Thank you for adding the how-to video to your reply. That is very helpful. I just wonder how much sound deadening material is already in the door and if there's room to add more. The LS 430 was the flagship and you would assume that they would have stuffed it but maybe I'm wrong. I don't have any rattles - just road noise from what seems like the tires/wheels. Nevertheless I'm in pursuit of quietness so I might try it and see what happens. Also wondering about the wheel well covers. If you gained 3 decibels I think that's pretty good. Wondering if I'd have enough room to put in sound dampening material. My biggest fear about putting all this stuff on is not being able to replace panels and such because they no longer fit. I guess with proper planning and testing before the refitting one could (hopefully) be assured everything will go back into place. I really like the look and handling characteristics of the 18" rims but I suppose I could consider 17" rims as a last resort. But I think I would exhaust all of the other sound deadening methods first. Thanks again - very much appreciated!

Victor
Old 03-12-24 | 12:50 PM
glamglam
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcontradiction
The dealer already messed up a bunch of other things. I have little trust they can fix it without breaking other things.
Do not take a Lexus to a Toyota dealer. Toyota dealers do not know anything about Lexus vehicles. They only know about Toyota. You should've taken it to the Lexus dealer. Take it to a Lexus dealer and have them fix it and have them also check out the work that the toyota dealer did to your vehicle.
Old 05-18-24 | 03:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I replaced my driver side one today. It had some cracking on the outer areas.