GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 08:27 PM
MrJamison
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb 2011 GX460 Subwoofer add-on Help..

Hey all, I'm new to the GX460 platform and was looking to add a 10" or 12" subwoofer to the factory system. I've done some searching and most of the links are dead now. Has anyone done this and what have you done? Looking for pics/ideas and also the wiring diagram to add the line out converter.
Old 01-12-18, 09:24 AM
MrJamison
Pit Crew

Ok, I was able to get line out wires from the factory amp to my aftermarket amp and I get sound with no problems. However, I tapped and used the rear speakers for the sounds and think I may should have used the front instead. It seems as if the bass is really filtered out of the rear speakers which is causing the same effect on the subwoofer bc I've got the amp gain all the way up and getting no real bass. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-18, 04:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Yeah, the rear speakers are weak. Front speakers or maybe the center dash speaker mentioned here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-upgrade.html
Old 01-16-18, 07:58 AM
MrJamison
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MrJamison
Ok, I was able to get line out wires from the factory amp to my aftermarket amp and I get sound with no problems. However, I tapped and used the rear speakers for the sounds and think I may should have used the front instead. It seems as if the bass is really filtered out of the rear speakers which is causing the same effect on the subwoofer bc I've got the amp gain all the way up and getting no real bass. Any thoughts?
Got the line out converter moved to the front left speaker for output and it made a huge difference! I was reading the pinout diagram and it shows that the amp has a subwoofer option but the pins aren't in the harness. Wonder if I added the two pins, if that would work for my sub amp?
Old 06-26-18, 12:15 PM
erx808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any updates on this sound system gx460 subwoofer wiring diagrams or other upgrade-line outs adding amps etc would appreciate thx
Old 11-26-20, 09:08 AM
markdh
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Subwoofer?

I have a 2018 Premium, non Mark Levinson. I am currently thinking about purchasing a Mark Levinson subwoofer and replacing the woofer in the box to work with my system that I currently have. I already have aftermarket amp with an 8" sub and box laying in cargo area, just want to have a box integrated into the side panel. I have never seen what the side panel looks like with the Mark Levinson grill, if anyone has a picture or could take one I would appreciate it!
Old 11-26-20, 09:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Here is picture of exposed ML amp and subwoofer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-proofing.html

Last edited by Acrad; 11-26-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 02:20 PM
markdh
Rookie

Perfect! Thank You!
Old 12-12-20, 08:16 PM
markdh
Rookie

I purchased a Mark Levinson subwoofer box from a junkyard. Crutchfield.com showed that Pioneer TS-D10LS4 D-Series 10" 4-ohm shallow-mount subwoofer at Crutchfield would fit in factory sub box. The subwoofer fit great! Only modification required was drilling new holes for the screws. I am very happy with the results and just wanted to pass along an option for others. Hopefully in the next couple of months I can build a grill to clean things up a bit.

The following users liked this post:
arkaa (04-25-23)
Old 12-13-20, 09:17 PM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa. how about that! Are you just running a class D amp (or whatever the sub/mono amp is called)? How did you integrate the sub into the non ML system? Wouldn't you need to connect it to some kind of preout on the receiver?
Old 12-14-20, 04:05 PM
markdh
Rookie

I am using a 5-chanel amp running dash speakers off 2, doors off 2, and subwoofer off the 5th. I used Speaker Connection Harness - PAC (pac-audio.com) to make tying into factory speaker wires after the factory amp easier. I have been told that this is the only way. You can use an amp that accepts speaker level inputs or a line out converter. My amplifier has a remote bass volume ****, I would highly recommend this because the factory stereo takes bass out the more you turn up the volume.
Old 12-14-20, 04:26 PM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markdh
I am using a 5-chanel amp running dash speakers off 2, doors off 2, and subwoofer off the 5th. I used Speaker Connection Harness - PAC (pac-audio.com) to make tying into factory speaker wires after the factory amp easier. I have been told that this is the only way. You can use an amp that accepts speaker level inputs or a line out converter. My amplifier has a remote bass volume ****, I would highly recommend this because the factory stereo takes bass out the more you turn up the volume.
Rad, thanks for the link. I have a non ML system too, I replaced the 3 dash speakers, which was enough of an improvement to justify the $80ish cost. I've noticed that my door speakers (6x9s?) have started to pop at higher volumes with bass, so I was thinking about replacing them next. An amp and sub are much further down the list, but it's good to know my options for that are much more doable than I realized.
Old 12-23-20, 10:31 AM
Dennis2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

what model harness did you use from PAC? I'm looking at adding an aftermarket amplifier to my GX as well.
thank you
Old 12-23-20, 05:01 PM
markdh
Rookie

APH-TY02 Speaker Connection Harness - PAC (pac-audio.com) It's a t-harness that hooks in after the factory amplifier. You will need a line out converter or an amplifier that accepts high level inputs.
Old 12-23-20, 09:25 PM
Dennis2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markdh
APH-TY02 Speaker Connection Harness - PAC (pac-audio.com) It's a t-harness that hooks in after the factory amplifier. You will need a line out converter or an amplifier that accepts high level inputs.
Markdh- sorry for all the questions here- just to confirm, your 2018 GX is the premium with Nav but without ML sound system? I'm just trying to confirm this t-harness will work on my 2020 GX - should be the same set up and infotainment system/nav system but they are checking. Thank you for the reply.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer?