GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prado 150 rear door swap for GX

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 04:42 PM
Dazed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb Prado barn door with spare onto US GX460

I did a search here and on MUD, but did not see anything.

Has anyone put a Prado barn door with the spare tire carrier onto a US spec GX460? If so, what was your experience? Where did you source the door? etc.
thanks
Dazed
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (06-14-20)
Old 06-12-20, 05:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 857 Likes on 593 Posts

Specifically replacing the barn door with the Prado door? Is that really needed with after market options?
Old 06-12-20, 05:25 PM
Dazed
Driver

I am looking at potential options. Most of the bumpers look like giant warts on the rear of the truck and add an enormous amount of weight which is amplified since its on a cantilever. I would also prefer to keep the truck as stock/stock looking as possible. Only having to open one thing to get into the back is also a bonus. I saw someone on MUD added in a jeep swing arm, but that required extensive cutting and welding, which I would prefer not to do (the keep it stock aspect).

Hence, exploring options for fitting a full size 270/65/17 spare.
Old 06-12-20, 07:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

There is a conversion thread on mud

He is trying to source a used door from Australia.

Shipping would likely be extreme as I believe it would have to be shipped over with freight.

Sample Schematics
Dazed (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 03:10 PM
Dazed
Driver

Thanks Acrad.
Old 06-14-20, 08:07 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I seem to recall a thread on this (not sure where - probably ih8mud) a while back but the stumbling block was that the hinge on the body of the door with the spare was different (i.e. beefier) than the "regular" door.
Old 06-14-20, 07:09 PM
Dazed
Driver

Originally Posted by cb1111
I seem to recall a thread on this (not sure where - probably ih8mud) a while back but the stumbling block was that the hinge on the body of the door with the spare was different (i.e. beefier) than the "regular" door.
So it looks like it might be the same hinge....or has been replaced by the same hinge (68801-60052). Here is the hinge from megazip:

Megazip shows hinge for spare tire door

Hinge part number

Here is my door hinge from lexuspartsnow:

The following 2 users liked this post by Dazed:
Craigyyy (06-14-20), ltsr (06-18-20)
Old 06-14-20, 07:22 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
Threads I've seen are usually full of speculation and people postulating such, rarely do we get people looking up part numbers like above.

Doesn't seem like there would be a huge cost savings to design and implement a weaker hinge. Otherwise, they could just go with a regular hatch instead of the barn door. But that's just my speculation too.

FWIW you can get an australian prado with or without the rear-mount tire.

Old 06-15-20, 10:19 AM
Dazed
Driver

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Threads I've seen are usually full of speculation and people postulating such, rarely do we get people looking up part numbers like above.

Doesn't seem like there would be a huge cost savings to design and implement a weaker hinge. Otherwise, they could just go with a regular hatch instead of the barn door. But that's just my speculation too.

FWIW you can get an australian prado with or without the rear-mount tire.
Thanks. I need to check/confirm with my year GX with the same year Prado. I did first look at the without tire mount door (it was the same) but then realized that before checking the with mount foor. As I recall, the hinge was the same, but I need to confirm.

I agree that it does not make engineering nor manufacturing sense to have two different hinges. That's backed up by multiple other items not being removed for lack of that options (wiring harnesses with connectors is a prime example.)
Old 06-16-20, 03:00 PM
mena661
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm definitely interested in this thread! It's probably going to cost as much as a bumper but I also would like to keep an OEM apperance as well.
Old 06-16-20, 06:54 PM
Dazed
Driver

I am not going to be the one to go first on this. I do not have the patience to wait to ship something from AUS. If someone does though, be sure to check with someone in AUS to see the largest spare that will fit on the door....dont want to spend the coin for it not to fit there as well!
Old 06-16-20, 08:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 857 Likes on 593 Posts

WTF- Dazed, you started this thread this and you’re not going to finish it with a mod? LOL
ltsr (06-18-20)
Old 06-16-20, 08:36 PM
Dazed
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
WTF- Dazed, you started this thread this and you’re not going to finish it with a mod? LOL
Oh man, don't tempt me! I once got bored and put an Isuzu turbo diesel into an FJ60. I am trying to be "older" and more "responsible" with owning a Lexus! Aren't they sensible vehicles!
Old 06-18-20, 11:40 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems to be the reason nobody's tried. Ton of shipping cost for what is ultimately still a question mark.
Old 06-18-20, 02:56 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazed
Oh man, don't tempt me! I once got bored and put an Isuzu turbo diesel into an FJ60. I am trying to be "older" and more "responsible" with owning a Lexus! Aren't they sensible vehicles!
Just do it, you're motivated. Once you figure it all out, you'll be part of GX history.

Quick Reply: Prado 150 rear door swap for GX