GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Aluminum Utility Trailers -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 10:45 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Aluminum Utility Trailers -- worth it?

I'm transitioning from a Tacoma pickup to the GX and need a suitable replacement for the loss of a bed and hence why I'm looking at utility trailers. My usage is typically that of the average home owner such as bagged mulch, lumber, piping, yard waste, grass seed, bag dirt, concrete bags, paver stones, an occasional bush and even the yearly Christmas tree. Anyhow, I like to get something that will stand the test of time similar to the GX but not rust out which seems to be the case with steel trailers. That said, I've narrowed my selection down to the two below that should work but never have owned a trailer before and therefore was curious to other's experience. Any thoughts, insight and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sport Haven AUT610DS

Featherlight 1693 Flatbed Trailer

Last edited by L3xusGX; 02-06-21 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-06-21, 12:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

The trailer I normally use with my GX is a steel one I picked up back in 2012 but has held up fine. My steel one has a 3500 lb axle.

That AUT610DS you listed has a heavier duty axle on it too.

Aluminum is great as well from a weight and corrosion resistance perspective.

I can drop a one ton energy log pallet (use them with my firewood for longer burns) and it doesn't even squat.

Old 02-06-21, 02:38 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad
The trailer I normally use with my GX is a steel one I picked up back in 2012 but has held up fine. My steel one has a 3500 lb axle.

That AUT610DS you listed has a heavier duty axle on it too.

Aluminum is great as well from a weight and corrosion resistance perspective.

I can drop a one ton energy log pallet (use them with my firewood for longer burns) and it doesn't even squat.

Good to know and both of the trailers I listed have a higher load capacity then my Tacoma so I should be fine under most circumstances. There were only a handful of situations where I probably overloaded my Tacoma. One of them was certainly with drainage stone where it rode on the bump stops and the front wheels made just enough contact to steer it. Another was when I picked up 20 (80lb) bags of concrete for a foundation pad to a new shed. I actually had to return a few of those bags due to a calculating error. The aluminum trailers are a bit more pricey but I'm hoping it will hold up longer given it's entire existence will be spent outside. My wife also didn't want a rusting steel trailer parked on her newly poured side driveway so there's that too. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Sport Haven as I like the solid aluminum diamond plated knee walls better but of course it costs more. It seems finding inventory near me may turn out to be the biggest challenge. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-06-21, 02:44 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

When it comes to resale value... utility trailers are really up there as well

I started out looking at used but new was only slightly more so went that route.

Old 02-06-21, 02:51 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad
When it comes to resale value... utility trailers are really up there as well

I started out looking at used but new was only slightly more so went that route.
You're not kidding, the market overall is simply defying logic at times regardless if it's the stock market, housing, used cars or in this case utility trailers. What a world to live in at times.
Old 02-07-21, 04:40 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 287 Likes on 171 Posts

Those are very nice trailers, too nice! I wonder if their hardware is stainless steel. They really appear to be done right. For the coin and only occasional use, I’d probably just get a regular metal one and keep some rust-oleum handy.
Old 02-08-21, 04:51 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We bought a steel "Snowb Bear open utility trailer" back in 2002 in SoCal from Home Depot for around $499 as I recalled.

We still got it. We left it outside all the time in the hot sun. We've used it many many times. Even long distance trips over the years with one recent round trip going 2000 miles.

Around 2017 we replaced the tires with the same rating tires found on Amazon which was like around $49 each as I recall. Got them installed at America's Tire for $10 each. The original tires had cracks on the sidewalls, but still holding up ok. Didn't want to chance it.

Around 2018 we redid the wiring and the lights bc one of the lights not lighting up. I bought an LED trailer light kit from Harbor Freight for around $69 as I recall.

After all these years....it's still good but the side panels got surface rust. Maybe I'll spray paint the entire trailer when I get bored.

The front can be lifted up like a dump truck by pulling a pin. All four side panels can be converted so they lay flat thereby increase the surface area for carrying capacity. This is good if transporting ATV's. The rear panel can be converted on the fly to an on ramp to drive the ATV up to the trailer. It's very versatile.

It looks like this in the picture. It did not come with a spare tire. (Not my trailer. Since our HOA does not allow it in the driveway, we have it in outdoor storage with the RV). My wife would not like a trailer parked in the driveway, rusty or not.

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
Good to know and both of the trailers I listed have a higher load capacity then my Tacoma so I should be fine under most circumstances. There were only a handful of situations where I probably overloaded my Tacoma. One of them was certainly with drainage stone where it rode on the bump stops and the front wheels made just enough contact to steer it. Another was when I picked up 20 (80lb) bags of concrete for a foundation pad to a new shed. I actually had to return a few of those bags due to a calculating error. The aluminum trailers are a bit more pricey but I'm hoping it will hold up longer given it's entire existence will be spent outside. My wife also didn't want a rusting steel trailer parked on her newly poured side driveway so there's that too. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Sport Haven as I like the solid aluminum diamond plated knee walls better but of course it costs more. It seems finding inventory near me may turn out to be the biggest challenge. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-08-21 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-08-21, 06:30 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusrus
(Not my trailer. Since our HOA does not allow it in the driveway, we have it in outdoor storage with the RV). My wife would not like a trailer parked in the driveway, rusty or not.
I know this is splitting hairs but the trailer would be parked on the side of our garage and not in front of the house or any of the garage bays. It wouldn't be up front and center but it's not hidden either depending on your perspective. Thankfully, we have no HOA to contend with here as that's a burden I can live without. In any event, it sounds like you made a diamond in the ruff work for you which is great if you have the time and patience. Where possible, I prefer to minimize my maintenance and going new/aluminum seems to help in that department even though it's untested grounds for me. Either way, I appreciate the insight and posting as it's all relative.
Old 02-08-21, 06:38 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Piney1
Those are very nice trailers, too nice! I wonder if their hardware is stainless steel. They really appear to be done right. For the coin and only occasional use, I’d probably just get a regular metal one and keep some rust-oleum handy.
They sure are pretty and probably reflect a lot of sunlight. I'm not certain about the hardware and no doubt steel trailers are cheaper.

Last edited by L3xusGX; 02-08-21 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-08-21, 07:34 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I would love to have the SportHaven model you listed and No doubt it will be expensive. Somehow I don't see the price listed on the website. Can you share the actual cost?

I often rent one from UHaul when hauling mulch and compose but having one is more convenience.
Old 02-08-21, 07:58 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I would love to have the SportHaven model you listed and No doubt it will be expensive. Somehow I don't see the price listed on the website. Can you share the actual cost?

I often rent one from UHaul when hauling mulch and compose but having one is more convenience.
The price is going to vary depending on the dealer you use, taxes, registration and insurance. In fact, I've seen some dealers even charge the 3% for using a credit card to pay for it so cash may be the route to go. It's best to use their dealer locator map and click the expanded view in the upper right hand corner for the open trailer dealers. See the screen shot below if that helps. From there, choose the closest dealer and search their inventory for that model. That said, the price seems to hover around $3K which isn't cheap.

Old 02-08-21, 09:08 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it’s worth - I haul a lot of what you mentioned too. I put a weathertech mat in the back and haul mulch and dirt around all the time filled to the top - easy cleanup. And I have a hitch trailer I use for things like bushes, etc. just more ideas...
Old 02-09-21, 04:34 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by craigrpete
For what it’s worth - I haul a lot of what you mentioned too. I put a weathertech mat in the back and haul mulch and dirt around all the time filled to the top - easy cleanup. And I have a hitch trailer I use for things like bushes, etc. just more ideas...
Good tip, I would have used a tarp when getting mulch or dirt. Do you happen to have a part/link handy on which specific Weathertech you used? I know they make pickup truck bed mats so this makes sense as well.
Old 02-15-21, 02:39 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
Good tip, I would have used a tarp when getting mulch or dirt. Do you happen to have a part/link handy on which specific Weathertech you used? I know they make pickup truck bed mats so this makes sense as well.
I have the 3 zone climate control so I use this one: https://www.weathertech.com/lexus/20...imate-control/
Old 02-15-21, 05:21 PM
dtaski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another good brand of trailer.

https://www.alumaklm.com/

Quick Reply: Aluminum Utility Trailers -- worth it?