GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460: Mileage vs. Purchase Price Trade-off: What's the sweet spot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21 | 10:44 AM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megamorph
My wife and I were both recently in the market for a GX. After looking at many, many used ones over a period of months around the Houston area, we ultimately decided to buy her a new 2021 model. The main reason we purchased new instead of used, as others have noted, is the shockingly poor condition most of the used ones are in. Without a lot of TLC, the GX doesn't age well. The average GX owner beats the hell out of the faux leather NuLuxe interior and it quickly starts to look like crap. The third row area is often beat up from hauling cargo when the seats are down. Lots of awful odors that Lexus dealers are surprisingly unable to remove. And lots of door dings, dents, scratches, etc. on the exterior. We bought her new 2021 Luxury model for less than the 2019 and 2020 Luxury models are selling for on the used market. Pricing is nonsensical on used GX's relative to new units. Not sure how such a warped market exists unless most car buyers are significantly dumber than I think they are.

I'm still looking for a GX for me, but really want the Fire Agate Pearl color so will have to buy used.
I have seriously considering this route as well, but I really like the look of the sport package (which bumps a new model into the $60k+ range). I'm hoping to find something with a warranty for under $40k. The more I look, the more CPOs creep into the $45k+ range which makes me want to bite the bullet and spend the $50k+ on a 2021 base model. Do you mind sharing what kind of deal you got?
Old 02-16-21 | 01:07 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by gagrown
Is CPO required for the warranty extension? I assume any Lexus under the original manufacturer's warranty also qualifies? I ask because I noticed that Lexus of Orlando (as well as a few others) don't certify all of their used late-model GX's. They currently have a 2018 model with ~35k miles on it that I'm interested in but it's not certified. Is that a red flag? I'm thinking I could purchase the five-year warranty extension when the manufacturer's warranty expires (in about 12 months) and have peace of mine for the next 6 years.

I actually called and asked why they didn't certify that GX and they told me it's because the cost associated with certifying makes them harder to sell ... BS?
Don't know about reasons for not certifying - I could see that maybe the extra value of an L/cert is a lot lower for a low mileage/newer car that is still under the factory warranty than a later model one outside of the factory warranty.
I think for the CPO VSA, yes, it needs to be a CPO. There are other VSA's you can get if still under the original warranty. They are not unlimited mileage if I recall.
(Note: I am not advocating for or against getting an extended warranty, just pointing out what the options are.)

Last edited by CFAI; 02-16-21 at 01:08 PM. Reason: can't spell
The following users liked this post:
gagrown (02-17-21)
Old 02-17-21 | 11:48 PM
efaroh
Driver School Candidate

I got my 2017 Premium with 33k miles on it for 35k. It was a lease return. Dealer serviced and you can tell never off roared. Appeared to be a mall crawler grocery getter. I like to think I hit the sweet spot here. Lexus gets their money. Leasee takes the depreciation. I get a 58k baby land cruiser for almost half price with many more years and miles of reliability to come. I ended up saving money on monthly payments compared to the pos 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platnum that I had sold.

With all the money I saved, I put a lift and bigger tires on it. Oh and yes I traded-in fuel mileage for reliability. All day.

The following users liked this post:
gagrown (02-18-21)