GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460: Mileage vs. Purchase Price Trade-off: What's the sweet spot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 06:33 PM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX 460: Mileage vs. Purchase Price Trade-off: What's the sweet spot?

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a GX 460 w/ Sport Package (so 2017 - present) in Atlanta for ~$30-40K. Within this price range, I am finding postings for GX's ranging from 25-30k miles (low $40k's) to 70-100k miles ($30k or less). I'm having trouble even considering a high-mileage car at this price point, but considering the life span on these things is the $10k+ savings worth it? For context, I only drive about 10k miles per year, but I do plan to keep this thing long term.

Is there a sweet spot (price vs. mileage) somewhere in between that I should be aiming for? What am I missing?! Appreciate any advice!

P.S. I am pretty set on a Gray GX w/ sport package with black interior and heavily leaning towards the premium package. Also, I am in no rush to buy but I would like to purchase something by spring/summertime for road trip season.
Old 02-07-21, 06:46 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

there is no sweet spot, the higher the mileage 100K+ just means youre going to spend a bunch on preventative maintenance(complete fluid change/flush) and replacing consumables based on condition. (suspension bushings/struts)

check here and watch the video to learn about the common issues with the gx. What to look for if buying a used GX 460

sign up for an account here and add the VIN of the one youre interested in to see its service history: youre looking to see if the previous owner/s kept up with the service internals and if there were and odd mechanical issues.

whatever you decide please get it inspected before buying

last thing you want to do is spend money to fix a mechanical item soon after purchase...youre gonna need money for gas.

Last edited by WRD4chano; 02-07-21 at 06:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by WRD4chano:
gagrown (02-07-21), kode3 (02-08-21), L3xusGX (02-08-21)
Old 02-08-21, 09:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

For me the best deal is a 3-year off lease with less than 32,000-odd miles ... are typically close to new condition if you search but have a relatively significant depreciation discount over purchasing new, is still under warranty and still has many miles of service life.
The following 4 users liked this post by ASE:
gagrown (02-09-21), leathers (02-16-21), nuclearn8 (02-09-21), WRD4chano (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 04:57 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

We were in the same boat this past fall. Coming from owning 4Runners and Land Cruisers (both notoriously enthusiast owned) I assumed that GX’s would be a great deal 2-3 years old where we could buy an extended warranty if we wanted too. But what I found after looking at about 10 2017-2018 GX’s in Premium, Luxury and Sport trims is that every one of them, even with 20-30k miles had far more ware on them than I would have ever expected from a vehicle with very few miles and where dealers were asking nearly 40k in all cases. It appeared that most were quite literally the family hauler/ nanny mobile. Nearly all of them had stains on the inside, had funny smells (yes maybe a better detail could get rid of this, but not worth the risk for me) scrapes and dents that just should not be on a suburban car with 20k miles and costing 35-40k.

We wanted a 2018 Sport in white, but literally could not find one that was a clean and well-kept as our 2014 4Runner (that we bought with 30k mind you), we ended up with a 2019 premium dealer use GX with very few miles and paid 45k, the car smells and feels brand new. Long story short, from my experience, though yours may differ, I found buying these new or nearly new is the way to go unless you can find a private party sale where the owner really took care of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by schwein:
gagrown (02-09-21), L3xusGX (02-10-21)
Old 02-09-21, 06:21 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

I would expand your search area to include Florida, which is not too far from where you are in ATL. There are tonnes of lexus dealers down there and tonnes of GX'es. The Lexus in Orlando and also Winter Green regularly lists 15+ pre-owned versions, most off-lease and dealer serviced. Plus being from Florida, they are less likely to be exposed to northern salted roads. The other big dealers are in Miami and Kendall areas. Just do a search and look at all their pre-owned inventory as they are not always listed on cars.com or Autotrader.com.
I ended up getting mine from a non-lexus dealer in Sth FL, but it had full service records from local lexus dealers.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
gagrown (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 10:03 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Obviously depends on what you are looking for, but for me, I have been happy with buying last year of eligibility of CPO, with between 50 to 60k miles. That gives you a factory warranty for a few years to mitigate any risk of potential issues due to age/previous use of car (and gives you option, if you so desire, to extend an additional 1 to 5 years with unlimited miles - so you could have 3 to 7 years unlimited mile warranty if wanted). Plus it applies pressure on the dealership to sell as it gets close to end of year, as the CPO is perishable to them after the new year - I got a great deal Dec 30th 2008 on a CPO '02 RX300 . Also still have the '07 IS250 I got in '13 for just under $18k. Was able to get a CPO '13 GX for under $28k 18 months ago - but it helped that it was pre-facelift (which I was looking for). Good luck!!
Edit: I should note that the dealership had clearly refurbished the drivers seat (it has the semi aniline leather, so maybe more prone to wear?), and the passenger side running board/step had been banged by previous owner and has 4 inch horizontal crack. Other than that it was is good nick. For me it wasn't an issue (I can always replace the running board, but it doesn't bother me, not really noticeable, but I could see it being a deal breaker for others). Been 18 months and it has been great, but wanted to set expectations re price/condition tradeoff etc.

Last edited by CFAI; 02-09-21 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-11-21, 04:27 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

If you are searching in FL, you really need to make sure you get it from a Lexus dealer. JM Enterprises owns Southeast Toyota (distribution for ALL Toyotas in the southern USA and they are the largest Lexus dealer in FL). If it was a lease return and it has been wrecked, it goes to auction. You will find them well below market at offlease.com and every single one they sell has been hit. Not a deal breaker but also not optimal. Nice ones that have not been wrecked are sold via a Lexus dealer down there. One thing with FL cars, the rubber trim will be worn worse than northern cars as the sun kills the rubber - gives it a chalky appearance even after as little as 3 years.

I’m a major car geek and searched all over for the 2017 loaded Premium w Luxury Package & the HK stereo with bucket seats second row in silver that I got for my wife last summer. Got it CPO and at a very good price - about 6500 less than the Lexus dealer near me for the same vehicle. This one was immaculate.

For myself, I didn’t want to spend that much for my own GX so I searched and searched. I wanted a pre-14 to get the older nose. Found a 2013 with the premium package and nav. It had 120k on it and I would never buy a car with 120 on it but this one had been garage kept since new, had every PM at the Lexus dealer and was utterly perfect - whole front wrapped in that clear paint protectant. It was owned by a guy who is more OCD about clean cars than I am. I’ll maintain this one at the Lexus dealer as well even though they are not cheap. The guy I bought it from was super nice and a physician who is a real car guy - took time to sell it private. (I rebadged it with Toyota logos as I don’t want the bling that comes with a L logo for me personally.)

All that said to say, you can find deals but you really have to do your due diligence before you buy.
Old 02-11-21, 10:31 AM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

This is helpful. Any idea how much I could expect to pay for an extended warranty? Is it yearly for up to 5 years?
Old 02-11-21, 10:35 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

from experience - 3-4K

but as i said, have it inspected, if every thing checks out, you wont need it.
gagrown (02-11-21)
Old 02-11-21, 10:35 AM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Piney1
If you are searching in FL, you really need to make sure you get it from a Lexus dealer. JM Enterprises owns Southeast Toyota (distribution for ALL Toyotas in the southern USA and they are the largest Lexus dealer in FL). If it was a lease return and it has been wrecked, it goes to auction. You will find them well below market at offlease.com and every single one they sell has been hit. Not a deal breaker but also not optimal. Nice ones that have not been wrecked are sold via a Lexus dealer down there. One thing with FL cars, the rubber trim will be worn worse than northern cars as the sun kills the rubber - gives it a chalky appearance even after as little as 3 years.

I’m a major car geek and searched all over for the 2017 loaded Premium w Luxury Package & the HK stereo with bucket seats second row in silver that I got for my wife last summer. Got it CPO and at a very good price - about 6500 less than the Lexus dealer near me for the same vehicle. This one was immaculate.

For myself, I didn’t want to spend that much for my own GX so I searched and searched. I wanted a pre-14 to get the older nose. Found a 2013 with the premium package and nav. It had 120k on it and I would never buy a car with 120 on it but this one had been garage kept since new, had every PM at the Lexus dealer and was utterly perfect - whole front wrapped in that clear paint protectant. It was owned by a guy who is more OCD about clean cars than I am. I’ll maintain this one at the Lexus dealer as well even though they are not cheap. The guy I bought it from was super nice and a physician who is a real car guy - took time to sell it private. (I rebadged it with Toyota logos as I don’t want the bling that comes with a L logo for me personally.)

All that said to say, you can find deals but you really have to do your due diligence before you buy.
Good to know! Other than the North Atlanta dealerships I haven't seen many GX's in Georgia, so Florida has definitely joined my search. From other threads, it seems like there can be a huge spread in CPO purchase prices from one dealer to the next. That's great you were able to secure a good deal for your wife's car!
Piney1 (02-11-21)
Old 02-11-21, 11:39 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gagrown
Good to know! Other than the North Atlanta dealerships I haven't seen many GX's in Georgia, so Florida has definitely joined my search. From other threads, it seems like there can be a huge spread in CPO purchase prices from one dealer to the next. That's great you were able to secure a good deal for your wife's car!
Also look at Lexus dealers in Savannah, Charleston, and up in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham area. That's an additional 5+ dealers in your geographic area that may have hits for you.

Old 02-11-21, 12:11 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by gagrown
This is helpful. Any idea how much I could expect to pay for an extended warranty? Is it yearly for up to 5 years?
As long as you buy a Lexus L/Cert, which gives you 2 years warranty with unlimited mileage, you are able to extend it for 1 to 5 additional years during those first 2 years under the CPO. Here is a link https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...greements.html at the bottom just select L/Certified to get more info. I believe that any dealership in the state you bought the car can sell you the VSA. I highly recommend shopping around since there is a lot of markup in the prices they will offer. I was able to get a 3 year extension for less than $3k. I only got it bc the extension would cover years 9-11 in the trucks life, where there are more likely to be issues. You are also able to transfer it if you sell the car (but note that none of the 2 year CPO is transferable), or you can cancel it and get a prorated amount back if you realize it won't be worth it for you.
Piney1 (02-11-21)
Old 02-11-21, 09:28 PM
Megamorph
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife and I were both recently in the market for a GX. After looking at many, many used ones over a period of months around the Houston area, we ultimately decided to buy her a new 2021 model. The main reason we purchased new instead of used, as others have noted, is the shockingly poor condition most of the used ones are in. Without a lot of TLC, the GX doesn't age well. The average GX owner beats the hell out of the faux leather NuLuxe interior and it quickly starts to look like crap. The third row area is often beat up from hauling cargo when the seats are down. Lots of awful odors that Lexus dealers are surprisingly unable to remove. And lots of door dings, dents, scratches, etc. on the exterior. We bought her new 2021 Luxury model for less than the 2019 and 2020 Luxury models are selling for on the used market. Pricing is nonsensical on used GX's relative to new units. Not sure how such a warped market exists unless most car buyers are significantly dumber than I think they are.

I'm still looking for a GX for me, but really want the Fire Agate Pearl color so will have to buy used.
L3xusGX (02-12-21)
Old 02-12-21, 11:43 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Megamorph
My wife and I were both recently in the market for a GX. After looking at many, many used ones over a period of months around the Houston area, we ultimately decided to buy her a new 2021 model. The main reason we purchased new instead of used, as others have noted, is the shockingly poor condition most of the used ones are in. Without a lot of TLC, the GX doesn't age well. The average GX owner beats the hell out of the faux leather NuLuxe interior and it quickly starts to look like crap. The third row area is often beat up from hauling cargo when the seats are down. Lots of awful odors that Lexus dealers are surprisingly unable to remove. And lots of door dings, dents, scratches, etc. on the exterior. We bought her new 2021 Luxury model for less than the 2019 and 2020 Luxury models are selling for on the used market. Pricing is nonsensical on used GX's relative to new units. Not sure how such a warped market exists unless most car buyers are significantly dumber than I think they are.

I'm still looking for a GX for me, but really want the Fire Agate Pearl color so will have to buy used.
Yeah, I think with the pandemic used cars are more expensive both in absolute terms and also as percent of new cars. If you are willing to have some blemishes and signs of use, getting a 5 or 6 year old option can be a good deal. I think mine, even with extending the warranty to 5 years, was about $20k to $25k less than something close to equivalent new (pre facelift base with comfort options I guess is closest to Prem Plus, but with SA Leather and no ML stereo or safety equip), but I also totally get not wanting to buy something that has any sign of use. That's why the tradeoff asked about in the post will ultimately be a reflection of each person's utility function.
Old 02-16-21, 10:40 AM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CFAI
As long as you buy a Lexus L/Cert, which gives you 2 years warranty with unlimited mileage, you are able to extend it for 1 to 5 additional years during those first 2 years under the CPO. Here is a link https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...greements.html at the bottom just select L/Certified to get more info. I believe that any dealership in the state you bought the car can sell you the VSA. I highly recommend shopping around since there is a lot of markup in the prices they will offer. I was able to get a 3 year extension for less than $3k. I only got it bc the extension would cover years 9-11 in the trucks life, where there are more likely to be issues. You are also able to transfer it if you sell the car (but note that none of the 2 year CPO is transferable), or you can cancel it and get a prorated amount back if you realize it won't be worth it for you.
Is CPO required for the warranty extension? I assume any Lexus under the original manufacturer's warranty also qualifies? I ask because I noticed that Lexus of Orlando (as well as a few others) don't certify all of their used late-model GX's. They currently have a 2018 model with ~35k miles on it that I'm interested in but it's not certified. Is that a red flag? I'm thinking I could purchase the five-year warranty extension when the manufacturer's warranty expires (in about 12 months) and have peace of mine for the next 6 years.

I actually called and asked why they didn't certify that GX and they told me it's because the cost associated with certifying makes them harder to sell ... BS?

Quick Reply: GX 460: Mileage vs. Purchase Price Trade-off: What's the sweet spot?