GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking to purchase a Lexus GX 460 as a first time owner and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 12:21 AM
ben7
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking to purchase a Lexus GX 460 as a first time owner and have some questions

Hi everyone,

After much searching, I'm looking to purchase a used Lexus GX 460 but I have a few questions that I have before buying it.

First, a bit of background to give you some context on how I came to wanting to purchase a Lexus GX 460.

I’m new to the off-roading world as I’m more into the sports car scene (my other car is a modified 2020 Subaru WRX STi), however I’ve been looking for an SUV to use as our family road trip vehicle, but also with a very capable 4WD system that we can drive on trails or on the beach. This vehicle will replace our 2006 Honda Pilot so here’s the short list I had:
  • 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD for it’s gargantuan size and space (especially it’s third seat room) and Landcruise engine, however I can’t find a 2020 model less than $60,000 and it’s 4WD system is limited when compared to the others on the list so that’s off the list.
  • 2016+ Toyota Landcruiser for it’s huge reliability factor, it’s legendary off-road capabilities, and the fact that I’ll be driving a piece of 4WD history (similar to why I purchased the 2020 Subaru WRX STi, for it’s rally heritage and analog driver’s feel in a world of modern “computer-driven” automatic transmission sports cars), however even a 2016 Landcruiser is around $60,000 for a good one so that’s off the list.
  • The new Ford Bronco because of it’s awesome looks and off-road capabilities (I didn’t really want a Jeep), but there’s a huge waiting list for that one so that’s off the list.
  • Toyota 4 Runner TRD Off-Road Premium for it’s outstanding off-road capability and rugged looks, however it’s lack of a V8 and a third row cross it off my list.

Okay so now why the Lexus GX 460?
  1. It’s well within my budget of $25K - $35K and I can get a 2015 - 2019 Lexus GX 460 with about 40K - 50K miles for within price range.
  2. Stout reliability with it’s 4.6L V8 engine and Toyota 4WD system as it’s based on the Toyota Landcruiser Prado.
  3. Third row seating, although I wonder if the Landcruiser 200’s third row is roomier than the Lexus GX 460’s third row.
  4. Beautiful interior and striking exterior (especially with a 3” lift and 35” tires).
  5. Lots of aftermarket support for it as it’s a very matured platform.
  6. I’d like to tow my WRX STi to the track when I start tracking my car. But this might not be for a while, however having the 6,500lbs towing capacity is wonderful. It’s a solid body on frame truck with creature comforts vs an everyday boring crossover. lol

If I could find a 2017+ premium model (I’ll explain below why premium and not the luxury trim) with 40K miles for $30K, that would be great! So here are the modifications I would do to it:
  • 3” lift —> should I get an Icon setup with the control arms or an Old Man Emu lift kit? What about shocks? Should I be thinking about Kings or Fox shocks?
  • 35” tires —> are Nitto Grapplers good or BFG KO2’s?
  • 17” rims —> Or do I need 18” rims to clear the brakes? I like the bronze method wheels or perhaps the TRD wheels if I can get good price on them.
  • Rear mounted spare tire —> I can’t imagine what to do if one of the 35” tires fail and I had to put a much smaller spare tire…wouldn’t the truck be lopsided? lol
    Will a 35” spare tire fit under the vehicle in the original spare tire space? If not, how complex is it to get a rear mounted spare tire kit installed?
  • Roof rack

What I would like to do is to go on some trails, go sand tuning and go to the beach. I probably wouldn’t do rock crawling so I’m hoping this setup should be fine for that.

So my questions (apart from the ones I asked above) are as follows:
  1. I really like getting the top of the line model like the GX 460 Luxury with all the options and the rear DVD screens if possible, but mainly because it comes with crawl control + MTS and the front and side cameras, however not only is this trim pricier, but it adds the airbag suspension which I understand makes lifting it more complicated and possibly expensive. So is there a trim level or option package on the premium trim that the first owner would have purchased (since I’m looking to be the second owner of the vehicle) which has crawl control and MTS enabled?
  2. I’ve also heard that crawl control can be added as a mod that I can get so how does that work? Is a toggle added to the blank switches on the 4WD button bank where the heigh-adjusting suspension toggle would have been, and how expensive would that be? Also, is it possible to get MTS as a mod?
  3. I really do like the Landcruiser 200’s cool box in the glove compartment, so how difficult and pricey would that be to have installed?
  4. I really want Apple CarPlay function, so I understand that there’s a Grom VLine unit that I can purchase which gives this functionality that works seamlessly with the factory screen. Has anybody installed this, and if so, do you like it?
  5. How sturdy are the skid plates underneath when compared to the TRD Pro skid plates offered on other Toyota off-road vehicles? Is there a TRD Pro skid plate or should I look into aftermarket skid plates?
  6. With KDSS, is it hard to do a 3” lift?
  7. Since etc GX 460 has a lockable torsen center diff, is it still wise to get a rear diff locker installed? Is that expensive and how complicated of an install is it?
  8. Is there a TRD exhaust or a good aftermarket exhaust I can get? If the TRD exhausts fit, I would prefer to get that one, like the one used in the Toyota Seqouia TRD Pro. I really want to hear the V8 growl a bit more when the throttle is pressed but be quiet when cruising. I already have a loud boxer rumble from my WRX STi so I’m not looking to replicate that lol, just want to hear the V8 sound a bit more.

Also, I really want a white one with the tan/beige interior so I’m shopping for deals right now on a mildly used Lexus GX 460.

Since the GX 460 I’m looking for should only be a few years old with around 40K miles, I’m hoping that it was a “grocery getter” vehicle rather than an off-roader lol.

What are some areas that I would need to check in order to make sure that the vehicle was not seriously off-roaded?

Should I also get a compression and leak-down test as well?

I appreciate any help with these questions as I’m trying to do some research before purchasing my Lexus GX 460.

Thanks!

Last edited by ben7; 02-18-21 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Adding some more points.
Old 02-18-21, 03:03 AM
efaroh
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, there’s not a lot of space in the third row. I put my 6 year old and 3 year old there once in a blue moon, but even they would prefer the 2nd row. With the third row deployed, you have very minimal cargo space and would have to resort to the roof. Also since the third row folds flat, you have a very high load height especially if lifted. Getting big dogs in would require some form of pre planning. If third row is really important to you, just know that it’s really compromised in the GX.

With that said, if you can deal with the above. In terms of reliability, it’s proven. The v8 is thirsty, but just think of it as the reliability tax. Power is adequate and addresses the lack thereof in a v6 4Runner especially if you’re going with meatier tires. The GX is heavy so don’t expect sports car acceleration. Or even minivan acceleration nowadays.

Fit and finish is perfect. No creaks rattles or twisting. Interior quality is very nice. Infotainment is outdated and clunky. This was a trade off I can deal with since the interior space is a pleasant place to be.

The GX has taken on sort of a cult following very similar to the Subie community. I had a modified 06 WRX at one point. NASIOC is still near and dear to my heart but the GXOR community is just as awesome.

Therefore there is a growing aftermarket support for the GX in the US. Of course this is a Land Cruiser Prado in other parts of the world and you can source a lot of parts from the FJ Cruiser to the 4Runner mainly suspension. There are several companies out there offering sliders, roof racks, bumpers, skid plate, etc. Stock plates should be upgraded if you’re gonna go on rocky trails. For mild to moderate trails with some hills and moguls you should be fine.

Suspension install with the KDSS is doable up to about 2.5” of lift. It does get harder when you get to 3”. The KDSS sway bars are massive and getting the mounting bolts to line up will definitely require brawny finesse.

I do know that Borla and Magnaflow offers exhaust system for the GX. I know it’s very tempting coming from the subie world, but it is absolutely not necessary. You can hear the V8 fine when you step on it.

The biggest size tire you can fit in the spare tire location is about 32” before it starts rubbing on the rear sway bar. There are options for a rear door mount which requires some drilling. Another option is a hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

Are you deadset on 3” lift and 35” tires? If so why? You can achieve a 2.5” lift with 33” tires for a lot less effort and almost as much capability. You would need to do your own research on suspension. Main consideration is final additional weight from bumpers, roof rack, underbody protection. Do upper control arms to help with caster alignment. Just know that some joints require more maintenance than others. Add Dobinson’s to your list as another good manufacturer.

You will also have to do your own research on tires. The sea of information out there is vast. Figure out percentage ratio of how much on road driving you’ll be doing vs off road. That should help you decide if you want mud terrain, rough terrain, or all terrain. As well as E load vs C load. Toyo’s Nitto’s BFG’s are all well reviewed. Mainly depends on what you have available in your market and pricing you’re able to get them for.

The best part about the GX I am realizing after several months of ownership is that it really is the perfect size. It has a roomy interior without being too overgrown on the exterior. It is very maneuverable and you do have decent visibility. Maybe not as good as Subaru's but still good enough.

The center differential lock will get you out of most situations combined with ATRAC. ATRAC is advanced traction control which utilizes the ABS system to apply brakes to a wheel without grip and redistributes that power to wheels that are gripping. So in that sense, rear diff locker would not be needed unless you’re gonna be doing some extreme rock crawling.

I have a 17 Premium and I have retrofitted both MTS and Crawl Control. The MTS is a computer module that resides behind the glove box. Very easy to swap out though removing the glove box is a tedious chore. For CC, you remove the existing module with the DAC switch and replace it with the new module which comes with the CC switch. It’s easy to take out the lower center console and replace the module. There are links and YouTube videos out there that document this process in detail. Anyone who can turn a screwdriver should be able to perform the retrofit. And don’t forget about zero point calibration. I was able to get both modules for a little over 500 bucks. Way better than having to spend 5k on luxury package to get these features. The system on MY20+ models changed and it is harder to retrofit.

With that you get pretty much all the off-road capability of a land cruiser in a much more manageable size. Only thing you don’t get is the turn assist and the cool box. I think you can prolly do without. Just bring an icebox.

I would look for one that is about 3 years old with less than 35k miles on it. A lease return is a good bet. Check underneath to see if you can find any scratches or dents in the under carriage. Check the bolts heads to see if it shows signs of being tampered with. Check the condition of CV boot and tie rods and linkages. Test drive it and it should drive relatively straight with no wobbles. Check the radio station preset. That is usually telling of the previous main driver. It is a body on frame platform so it will require more steering input than say a bmw. You should be able to find one for around 35k for a clean one that I’m describing. (Unless prices have shot up recently)

Yea so you get capability, reliability, perfect size, aftermarket support, growing community, luxury, comfort, and Toyota quality. The only trade off is mpg. Depending on who you ask, it’s a small price to pay for all that you get. But if mpg is the most important thing to you, then this definitely is not for you. Remember you gotta pay to play.

Last edited by efaroh; 02-18-21 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 05:37 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

You can add Crawl or MTS to any 10-19 460 you pick up. Crawl & MTS Info Here

Be advised you would need a "Driver Support Package" on a '14+ Luxury trim to get Crawl. MTS never came on US 10-19 models so you would still need to add that option. If you removed AVS/RAHC (shocks and bags) you could could convert to this switch version.

versus this one

I've seen quite a number of owners convert AVS/RAHC with lifts. You just need to make sure you leave the compressor on and adjust the rear height sensors accordingly. Many use washers on the height sensors to account for the lift. If you simply pull the heigh sensors off you will have some dash errors and probably blind others with your headlights as they will no longer auto level. Even if you purchase a Premium do not remove the rear height sensor for headlight auto-level.
Old 02-18-21, 09:50 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

The previous responses address the broader range of consideration. I have owned 4 Toyota 4-Runners, 2 Lexus GX's and an FJ Cruiser ... all have been stellar for what they represent.

My specific input ... given you other car is a modified 2020 Subaru WRX STi ... is that you will ABSOLUTELY HATE the dumbed-down GX-460 suspension, tuned to appease Lexus owners who view "comfort" as being a "marshmallow ride" where the driver is anything but connected to the road. Yes, the Luxury trim has adjustable suspension with "Sport Mode" ... but that will only deliver handling that is tolerable for those who define "comfort" as being "in control" and "being connected to the road". So if you were to go this path, I highly recommend upgrading the suspension ... specifically the shocks.

Last edited by ASE; 02-18-21 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 10:34 PM
ben7
Rookie

Originally Posted by efaroh
First of all, there’s not a lot of space in the third row. I put my 6 year old and 3 year old there once in a blue moon, but even they would prefer the 2nd row. With the third row deployed, you have very minimal cargo space and would have to resort to the roof. Also since the third row folds flat, you have a very high load height especially if lifted. Getting big dogs in would require some form of pre planning. If third row is really important to you, just know that it’s really compromised in the GX.

With that said, if you can deal with the above. In terms of reliability, it’s proven. The v8 is thirsty, but just think of it as the reliability tax. Power is adequate and addresses the lack thereof in a v6 4Runner especially if you’re going with meatier tires. The GX is heavy so don’t expect sports car acceleration. Or even minivan acceleration nowadays.

Fit and finish is perfect. No creaks rattles or twisting. Interior quality is very nice. Infotainment is outdated and clunky. This was a trade off I can deal with since the interior space is a pleasant place to be.

The GX has taken on sort of a cult following very similar to the Subie community. I had a modified 06 WRX at one point. NASIOC is still near and dear to my heart but the GXOR community is just as awesome.

Therefore there is a growing aftermarket support for the GX in the US. Of course this is a Land Cruiser Prado in other parts of the world and you can source a lot of parts from the FJ Cruiser to the 4Runner mainly suspension. There are several companies out there offering sliders, roof racks, bumpers, skid plate, etc. Stock plates should be upgraded if you’re gonna go on rocky trails. For mild to moderate trails with some hills and moguls you should be fine.

Suspension install with the KDSS is doable up to about 2.5” of lift. It does get harder when you get to 3”. The KDSS sway bars are massive and getting the mounting bolts to line up will definitely require brawny finesse.

I do know that Borla and Magnaflow offers exhaust system for the GX. I know it’s very tempting coming from the subie world, but it is absolutely not necessary. You can hear the V8 fine when you step on it.

The biggest size tire you can fit in the spare tire location is about 32” before it starts rubbing on the rear sway bar. There are options for a rear door mount which requires some drilling. Another option is a hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

Are you deadset on 3” lift and 35” tires? If so why? You can achieve a 2.5” lift with 33” tires for a lot less effort and almost as much capability. You would need to do your own research on suspension. Main consideration is final additional weight from bumpers, roof rack, underbody protection. Do upper control arms to help with caster alignment. Just know that some joints require more maintenance than others. Add Dobinson’s to your list as another good manufacturer.

You will also have to do your own research on tires. The sea of information out there is vast. Figure out percentage ratio of how much on road driving you’ll be doing vs off road. That should help you decide if you want mud terrain, rough terrain, or all terrain. As well as E load vs C load. Toyo’s Nitto’s BFG’s are all well reviewed. Mainly depends on what you have available in your market and pricing you’re able to get them for.

The best part about the GX I am realizing after several months of ownership is that it really is the perfect size. It has a roomy interior without being too overgrown on the exterior. It is very maneuverable and you do have decent visibility. Maybe not as good as Subaru's but still good enough.

The center differential lock will get you out of most situations combined with ATRAC. ATRAC is advanced traction control which utilizes the ABS system to apply brakes to a wheel without grip and redistributes that power to wheels that are gripping. So in that sense, rear diff locker would not be needed unless you’re gonna be doing some extreme rock crawling.

I have a 17 Premium and I have retrofitted both MTS and Crawl Control. The MTS is a computer module that resides behind the glove box. Very easy to swap out though removing the glove box is a tedious chore. For CC, you remove the existing module with the DAC switch and replace it with the new module which comes with the CC switch. It’s easy to take out the lower center console and replace the module. There are links and YouTube videos out there that document this process in detail. Anyone who can turn a screwdriver should be able to perform the retrofit. And don’t forget about zero point calibration. I was able to get both modules for a little over 500 bucks. Way better than having to spend 5k on luxury package to get these features. The system on MY20+ models changed and it is harder to retrofit.

With that you get pretty much all the off-road capability of a land cruiser in a much more manageable size. Only thing you don’t get is the turn assist and the cool box. I think you can prolly do without. Just bring an icebox.

I would look for one that is about 3 years old with less than 35k miles on it. A lease return is a good bet. Check underneath to see if you can find any scratches or dents in the under carriage. Check the bolts heads to see if it shows signs of being tampered with. Check the condition of CV boot and tie rods and linkages. Test drive it and it should drive relatively straight with no wobbles. Check the radio station preset. That is usually telling of the previous main driver. It is a body on frame platform so it will require more steering input than say a bmw. You should be able to find one for around 35k for a clean one that I’m describing. (Unless prices have shot up recently)

Yea so you get capability, reliability, perfect size, aftermarket support, growing community, luxury, comfort, and Toyota quality. The only trade off is mpg. Depending on who you ask, it’s a small price to pay for all that you get. But if mpg is the most important thing to you, then this definitely is not for you. Remember you gotta pay to play.
Thanks for the detailed responses! I'm currently looking at a 2017 GX 460 (I think it's a premium trim) with just under 50K miles for around $35K. I think it's a little high and I'm trying to get the price down to around $32K.

Do you think $35K for that price is a good deal or is $32K a good deal?
Old 02-18-21, 10:35 PM
ben7
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad
You can add Crawl or MTS to any 10-19 460 you pick up. Crawl & MTS Info Here

Be advised you would need a "Driver Support Package" on a '14+ Luxury trim to get Crawl. MTS never came on US 10-19 models so you would still need to add that option. If you removed AVS/RAHC (shocks and bags) you could could convert to this switch version.

versus this one

I've seen quite a number of owners convert AVS/RAHC with lifts. You just need to make sure you leave the compressor on and adjust the rear height sensors accordingly. Many use washers on the height sensors to account for the lift. If you simply pull the heigh sensors off you will have some dash errors and probably blind others with your headlights as they will no longer auto level. Even if you purchase a Premium do not remove the rear height sensor for headlight auto-level.
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-18-21, 10:37 PM
ben7
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
The previous responses address the broader range of consideration. I have owned 4 Toyota 4-Runners, 2 Lexus GX's and an FJ Cruiser ... all have been stellar for what they represent.

My specific input ... given you other car is a modified 2020 Subaru WRX STi ... is that you will ABSOLUTELY HATE the dumbed-down GX-460 suspension, tuned to appease Lexus owners who view "comfort" as being a "marshmallow ride" where the driver is anything but connected to the road. Yes, the Luxury trim has adjustable suspension with "Sport Mode" ... but that will only deliver handling that is tolerable for those who define "comfort" as being "in control" and "being connected to the road". So if you were to go this path, I highly recommend upgrading the suspension ... specifically the shocks.
Thanks for the reply, yeah I want to do a 3" lift with 35" tires. As for the suspension, my STi is lowered and handles like it's on rails! However, my other vehicle I'm looking to replace when I buy the GX 460 is a 2006 Honda Pilot that's got a soft ride, so I think I'll be switching into the GX 460 pretty well as long as I'm not expecting STi-like handling! lol

Which is fine because I want the GX 460 to be my family road trip and adventure vehicle.
Old 02-19-21, 10:55 AM
ben7
Rookie

Also, I really would like to have radar cruise control and lane departure warning if possible. Which years/trims came with this option?
Old 02-19-21, 10:58 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

All years (10-19) but you will have to search them out. Standard 20+

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-package.html
The following users liked this post:
ben7 (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 11:13 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

What to look for if buying a used GX 460
The following users liked this post:
ben7 (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 11:32 AM
ben7
Rookie

Is it considerable to look at a GX 460 with 70K miles or more since these engines are reliable, especially after a full inspection at a Lexus dealership if everything passes?

I’m assuming the Lexus dealership can tell me after a full inspection if it was a grocery getter or an off-roaded vehicle. Also I’m hoping that they can tell me if it was all highway miles or city miles by the wear and tear on the vehicle.

The reason I’m asking this is because I can save a considerable amount of money by purchasing a 2014-2018 GX 460 with 70K - 80K miles in the high 20K to low 30K range and spend the savings on lifting the truck and buying bigger tires for it.

I would also assume that an extended warranty is useless since I’ll be modifying the suspension as long as I find a good shop to maintain the GX 460.

Or is it still advisable to purchase a low mile (below 40K miles), spend the extra money and wait on the suspension/tire mods?
Old 02-19-21, 03:09 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ben7
Also, I really would like to have radar cruise control and lane departure warning if possible. Which years/trims came with this option?
If you really want those two options, you'll need to narrow your search to Luxury models ONLY. However, not all Luxury models include the Driver Support Package (DSP) option. I searched for over six months before I found a pre-owned Luxury model with DSP in the color scheme I wanted.

A word of caution. Both the radar cruise and lane departure warning systems are fairly rudimentary, and I rarely use either of them anymore. Note that the DSP also includes a Pre-Collision Sytem that's come in handy.

The following 2 users liked this post by SteveInCal:
ben7 (02-19-21), supahotgx (02-20-21)
Old 02-19-21, 03:23 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
If you really want those two options, you'll need to narrow your search to Luxury models ONLY. However, not all Luxury models include the Driver Support Package (DSP) option. I searched for over six months before I found a pre-owned Luxury model with DSP in the color scheme I wanted.

A word of caution. Both the radar cruise and lane departure warning systems are fairly rudimentary, and I rarely use either of them anymore. Note that the DSP also includes a Pre-Collision Sytem that's come in handy.
... and if you are planning a lift anyway, AVS (the abysmal overly complex suspension system looking for a problem to solve) and the Rear-Air-Bag (leveling) system will be ditched, so why pay a premium for the Luxury trim ?

Look ... the bottom line is that the GX is an insanely capable and highly reliable off-road vehicle that has luxury amendments, but is not current from a "shiny object" (tech) standpoint ... so if you want the latest-and-greatest tech, you may want to look elsewhere. For me, many brands use "shiny objects" to distract potential buyers from the fact that their design underpinnings are sub-standard in terms of overall driving capability. Given you drive a modified Subaru WRX ... you know exactly what I am talking about. Driving dynamics and reliability are absolute, "shiny objects" are nice but never an override in terms of priority.

Last edited by ASE; 02-19-21 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-19-21, 11:58 PM
ben7
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
... and if you are planning a lift anyway, AVS (the abysmal overly complex suspension system looking for a problem to solve) and the Rear-Air-Bag (leveling) system will be ditched, so why pay a premium for the Luxury trim ?

Look ... the bottom line is that the GX is an insanely capable and highly reliable off-road vehicle that has luxury amendments, but is not current from a "shiny object" (tech) standpoint ... so if you want the latest-and-greatest tech, you may want to look elsewhere. For me, many brands use "shiny objects" to distract potential buyers from the fact that their design underpinnings are sub-standard in terms of overall driving capability. Given you drive a modified Subaru WRX ... you know exactly what I am talking about. Driving dynamics and reliability are absolute, "shiny objects" are nice but never an override in terms of priority.
Well said!

You're right, one of the main reasons that I purchased my Subaru WRX STi is because in my opinion, it is one of the last analog, fun to drive, manual transmission cars you can buy in today's world of "computer driven", automatic transmission sports cars. It doesn't have the latest gizmos and gadgets...although while mine does have Apple CarPlay (which didn't come in the WRX and STi until the 2019 model year), BSM, rear cross traffic alert, heated Recaro seats, sunroof, and dual zone climate control, I'd hardly call that "luxury" by today's standards. It has a rough ride, it's raw and unrefined, but oh boy does that turbo boxer engine come alive after 3,000 rpms with that sweet clutch and manual transmission shifter in play, the loud boxer rumble singing baritone, and that lowered suspension with the "rough-ride" really hugs the corners! And that is what the Subaru WRX STi is all about...a legendary rally car for the road that still stays true to it's roots in a world where sports cars have lost it's touch in my opinion.

Based on that, I totally get the Lexus GX 460 which is why I want to purchase one. While it is considered a luxury SUV, it certainly is missing on "the latest and greatest technological advancements", but who cares, I want a solid, reliable, well built off-roader that can also take me and my family on road trips in comfort and still have style while doing it.

There's a reason why cars like the Subaru WRX STi and the Lexus GX 460 have higher resale value...because while all the "newer" cars break down or lose their appeal, there's something about a car that really puts a smile on your face everytime you drive without having to "show off" it's technological advances.

I think these cars really embody the term "simplicity is purity".

Last edited by ben7; 02-20-21 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 12:00 AM
ben7
Rookie

I just purchased a 2017 Lexus GX 460 and posted about it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11020757