GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Steering Angle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 04:23 AM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Angle

Can someone explain what “Steering Angle” actually does? Can you shut it off? Is it really needed? On my 2021 luxury it has constantly beeped for two miles before shutting off. It’s only done this once but there are other times when pulling in a parking spot it will beep beep beep. Does that mean I’m doing something wrong? What’s it really telling me? I don’t get it. Thanks.
Old 02-19-21, 09:28 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

? steering angle is the degree your steering wheel is turned at. you cant turn it off. what is the actual message ??
The following users liked this post:
Novo (02-20-21)
Old 02-19-21, 09:45 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Are you sure the beeping isn't from the sensors? I've never seen/heard the steering angle beeps.
The following users liked this post:
Novo (02-20-21)
Old 02-19-21, 12:22 PM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully you can see the photo. So this is what appears along with a continuous annoying beep for two miles of driving. As soon as I started the car, the continuous beep started and what you see in photo appeared. I usually just see that little green crooked car in top right corner. I believe that is normal. What is the purpose of this? Thanks.
Old 02-19-21, 01:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I need to better familiarize myself with some of the new '20+ screens.

This looks like a combination of revised steering wheel direction graphic, LDA (Green icon) and an alert for the parking sensors off the front bumper all going off at the same time.

Parking sensors generally just beep at low speed even if you had snow on them.

I'm inclined to say an error state that you probably want to make a dealer visit on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
darkoozy (01-25-24), Novo (02-20-21)
Old 02-19-21, 03:13 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Novo
Hopefully you can see the photo. So this is what appears along with a continuous annoying beep for two miles of driving. As soon as I started the car, the continuous beep started and what you see in photo appeared. I usually just see that little green crooked car in top right corner. I believe that is normal. What is the purpose of this? Thanks.
you have either the defect front parking sensors or something is blocking the sensors, the beeping is due to at least one of the front sensor (not two corner ones) has the issue. The “steering angle” words are reference of the picture for front wheels during the parking, the beeping has nothing to do with the steering angles.
The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
Acrad (02-19-21), darkoozy (01-25-24), Novo (02-20-21)
Old 01-24-24, 09:24 AM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steering angle is pretty straight forward ( no pun intended ), it's been used on Lexus and Toyota vehicles for decades. While it may seem as though your steering is "centered" its not hence the warning. When a suspension part is replaced which throws the alignment off, the steering angle is also comprised. A shop will correct the alignment, yet forget to reset the steering angle also. The green car symbol ( would be trac/vsc in other models ) going to the right is showing you which way the steering angle is off....I learned all of this from experience dealing with a few 2nd gen gs300's I own.
Old 02-10-24, 03:18 PM
skeener
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Even though I couldn't find explicit mention of this in the OM, I wonder if the combination of the parking sensor bars/beeps and the front tire angle indicator exists this way as a concession to off-roading? Imagine you are gingerly picking your way over and around obstacles, you come to a momentary stop, and you lose track of how many steering wheel turns you have dialed in. Your parking sensor is telling you you have something close (front, left front, or right front), and your tire angle indicator is telling your where you're pointed. This would be good to know before you goose it and perhaps run into something you'd otherwise like to avoid. So maybe the combo graphic is intended functionality that isn't documented?

Last edited by skeener; 02-10-24 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling