2018 GX460 Hard Ride - Front Hitting Bump Stops On The Road

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 03:44 PM
ycroosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 GX460 Hard Ride - Front Hitting Bump Stops On The Road

Hello,
I've been lurking here for several months, but this is my first post...
I'm a new owner of 2018 GX460 Premium. So far I lowe the truck, but I've noticed that the ride is very harsh over some road conditions. I've owned two 4runners and a Tundra, so I sort of knew what to expect from BOF truck, but this one got me puzzled. I've run both 4runers with Bilstein 5100s and still have one of them, so I'm able to do a side-by-side comparison. Lexus is definitely a much harsher ride over poorly maintained pawement. Long story short: it bothers my wife, so I started investigating.
Today I took it for a short ride and found that the front is bottoming out on just generic suburban streets (no deep potholes or speed bumps/humps). On the very same road 4runner (admittedly with .75" front lif) doesn't.
Before I start throwing parts at it, I wanted to make sure this is "not normal".

The truck has less than 20K miles on it, so I don't think that the springs could be that worn out. No obvious leaks on the shocks that I can find. It's a bone stock Premium package; KDSS but no air suspension. Judging by the condition of the towing hitch the previous owner didn't tow with it either. it doesn't look like one side is drooping, don't see any damage, etc.

I don't know if I want to replace OEM shocks while the truck still has some warranty left, but I've looked at Durabump bump stops.

I'd really appreciate any input/advice.
Thank you
Yuriy

P.S. Photos below of the passenger side bump stops.

Hit the bump stop on a 5-minute ride around the neighborhood

Parked on a level driveway.
Old 02-23-21, 05:04 PM
kode3
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe install some Timbrens?

Timbren SES Suspension Enhancement System SKU# TOFTAC4A - Front Kit
The following 2 users liked this post by kode3:
Acrad (02-23-21), nuclearn8 (03-17-21)
Old 02-26-21, 04:00 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Your front suspension seems sitting low, there should be greater space from the bumpstop
Old 02-26-21, 04:46 PM
jakemccurd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely not normal. Maybe the previous owner lowered it with springs? Id start at the dealer since its still under warranty. Let them figure it out.
Old 03-09-21, 03:17 PM
ycroosh
Driver School Candidate

I ended up taking the truck to the dealership and they claim everything is normal. The suspension is in good condition and it "rides and feels like any other GX460".
I ordered Timbren bump stops (was going to do that anyway) and when the GX460 is parked on my driveway (pretty level) I have about 1/4" of clearance between the stop and the lower control arm. I know this is not apples-to-apples, but my 2012 4runner has a good 1.25" of clearance.
Would someone with a stock GX460 base (no airlift) be willing to measure the height from the ground to the top of the wheel well? I would really appreciate it.
Thank you
Old 03-09-21, 03:25 PM
jakemccurd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Min

Mine has a full inch between the front of the bump stops and the lower arm. Its a stock 2010 with airbags but that should not effect front suspension. .25” would bottom out over speed bumps pretty bad.
Old 03-17-21, 01:04 PM
ycroosh
Driver School Candidate

So, quick update:
I ended up ordering a set of Dobinsons IMS shocks/struts and Timbren bump stops for the front.
Timbren bump stops made no difference, and I'm getting a sneaky suspicion that they are more on the side of snake oil. I installed them first, and they don't really feel any different when the suspension bottoms out. I even did a semi-scientific comparison (compared accelerometer graphs on the same surface/speed/etc. before and after).
Dobinsons made a notable difference, in the sense that on the same road I didn't hit the bump stops. Can't really judge the ride, since it's only been a few days, but it seems a bit stiffer but less harsh.
Now, the part that ****...s me off: both rear shock clearly have leaked. I can easily compress them while holding the shock in my hand, and on the passenger side shock there is a zone of about 2" that has no resistance at all (i.e. I can jerk she chock back and forth without any effort). Fronts are in a bit better shape, but still very soft and one makes a funny "liquid squeaking" noise when I move it back and fort. I can move one them with my hands with relatively little effort. This is my first Lexus, so maybe this is what "soft suspension" should feel like, but if they came off my 4runner, I would call all at least two of the shocks thoroughly shot. Kind of surprising on a 3-year old Lexus with 25K miles, but the fact that the dealer "didn't notice" it. I have a very sneaky suspicion that a day after my warranty ran out they would find that my suspension if shot and recommend replacing the shocks.
Old 03-17-21, 05:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Which front Timbens's do you have?

I have these ones and can definitely tell a difference.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ID=20121013613