GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 GX460 and Bilstein 5100

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22 | 10:59 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
I find these posts almost comical ... asking random internet people to describe shocks as "comfortable" ... "supple" ... "firm" ... "harsh". No matter the descriptor, it's all subjective, based on one's preference and expectation. Look on the range of Forums on this subject ... Lexus ... MUD ... 4-Runner ... Tacoma ... Sequoia... Tundra ... and you will find hundreds (maybe thousands) of opinions that are all over the map. All opinions are based on subjective expectations that are impossible for one to articulate consistent with another's subjective expectations. So for those that want that "Lexus Ride" (which is sub-standard IMHO) then save yourself the time and effort and replace your shocks same-for-same. Otherwise ... if possible ... drive a GX with the shocks under consideration so YOU can determine if the ride meets YOUR expectations. The opinion of others is immaterial if you are not happy with the end result. Call local shops that install Bilstein Shocks on the GX and ask if you can go around the block when they do their next GX install.
ASE nothing comical here...... there's isn't clear cut info on bilstein or kyb online for our specific model. Your right that its all over the place and thats why asking actual members who have installed a specific kit on exact model as ours would help us make our decision.

I will update forum members what i end up doing i was ready to pull thw trigger on bilstein 4600 but cant find the fronts anywhere.

Im thinking something like this.

5100s FRONT oem REAR
4600s FRONT oem REAR
4600s all around
5100 FRONT 4600 REAR

The following users liked this post:
AirForce8 (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22 | 11:23 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dildildil
ASE nothing comical here...... there's isn't clear cut info on bilstein or kyb online for our specific model. Your right that its all over the place and thats why asking actual members who have installed a specific kit on exact model as ours would help us make our decision.

I will update forum members what i end up doing i was ready to pull thw trigger on bilstein 4600 but cant find the fronts anywhere.

Im thinking something like this.

5100s FRONT oem REAR
4600s FRONT oem REAR
4600s all around
5100 FRONT 4600 REAR
... used the word "Comical" only to make the point that endless semantic descriptions on how a shock will perform per anyone's specific expectation will probably result in disappointment. As we all know, shocks are a huge and expensive decision when considering the labor involved ... so best to directly experience versus taking someone's else's opinion ... let alone an "internet person's" opinion. Nothing worse than being less than happy for 100,000-odd miles.

Yes, Bilstein's have been plagued with "Supply Chain Issues" much like everything else. Try ToyTec ... they have maintained stock from my recent experience. Also, take the time to call the ToyTec "Tech Department" and ask them about the ride characteristics ... they are not just a re-seller ... they are also a suspension installation shop that has significant experience with Toyota / Lexus truck based platforms, and are very helpful and friendly.

If they sell you 4600's and you have any fitment issues, then it is on them to make it right ... this way you do not have to worry about purchasing a part number from a traditional re-seller that may not work given their knowledge does not extend beyond looking for fitment in a parts catalog.

BTW ... for the Premium ... all available rear springs that provide lift are typically 2-inches minimum. For me, that was too much ... and I do not like running spacers. All of the ToyTec springs (as an example) are made by Eibach (German Company) that is the foremost player in spring manufacturing. Eibach directly sells a 1-inch rear lift spring for the Toyota / Lexus truck based platforms. For me, that was perfect given 2-inches in the rear was too much.

Also, I always install Firestone Air Bags (Helper Springs) inside the rear springs when replacing ... easy to install ... and for $100 is an inexpensive way to adjust for rear sag when under load ... and to also compensate for any drivers-side-lean.

Last edited by ASE; 02-20-22 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ROSCOGX470 (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22 | 11:35 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I’m thinking KYB excel G front and OEM rear. But I think you may be done first so I’ll be watching. Thanks
Old 02-20-22 | 01:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

ASE, certainly opinions vary and are subjective, but generally folks are able to align and describe something that is harsh and stiff vs cushy and luxurious with mostly the same expectations.

There is no need to talk down to other members who are trying to describe what they're looking for...if you feel the need to state something is going to be subjective or "your butt may not be as sensitive as mine to the ride" or YMMV/your mileage may vary', OK and agreed. But calling it out as comical and not possible isn't useful conversation or respectful of other members.

I've had a variety of suspensions on my Lexus models and think I've been able to adequately describe the difference in both ride quality and handling. I have given rides to fellow members that said "I feel exactly what you described" and ended up buying the same suspension and loving it. You don't always get disappointment.
The following 4 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
Acrad (02-20-22), AirForce8 (02-20-22), ronsatour5 (10-01-22), ROSCOGX470 (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22 | 05:32 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I love the passion, and honestly appreciate everyone responding. It’s why I love this site. I love my GX but find myself constantly questioning what I should do to fix or improve things and also find myself leaning on our members to either solve or give me advice.