GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2021 GX460 and Bilstein 5100

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21 | 11:14 PM
Megamorph
Driver

Default 2021 GX460 and Bilstein 5100

I have Bilstein 5100's for my new GX Premium and plan to install them at the 1.75" lift setting. I'm wondering what I should do with the rear...

Do you all like a little rake on the GX or do you prefer it perfectly level front to back? I'm sorta thinking I might want a little bit of noticeable rake, as a bit of rake looks more OE or "factory" in my mind. Thoughts?

With the 5100 set at 1.75" lift mark, how much spacer would I need in the rear to achieve a final 1 inch rake?
Old 03-07-21 | 01:20 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

I hate the rake...but i would hate it even more if the rake was in the rear. If you can level it out front and rear would look best imo

What are you going to do with the stock struts ?

Is yours the premium model or luxury? I have a 2014 premium without AVS and i need new front struts
Old 03-07-21 | 01:23 PM
Megamorph
Driver

Originally Posted by Dildildil
What are you going to do with the stock struts ?

Is yours the premium model or luxury? I have a 2014 premium without AVS and i need new front struts
This GX is the Premium model, not Luxury. I may sell the OEM struts...
Old 03-07-21 | 01:38 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Megamorph
I have Bilstein 5100's for my new GX Premium and plan to install them at the 1.75" lift setting. I'm wondering what I should do with the rear...

Do you all like a little rake on the GX or do you prefer it perfectly level front to back? I'm sorta thinking I might want a little bit of noticeable rake, as a bit of rake looks more OE or "factory" in my mind. Thoughts?

With the 5100 set at 1.75" lift mark, how much spacer would I need in the rear to achieve a final 1 inch rake?
My vote ... close to level with very slight forward rake. Do the fronts and let settle before measuring the rake and deciding on rear spacers or springs. Personally, I would go with the ToyTec "Ultimate Coilovers" ... Bilstein 5100's with an adjustable lower spring perch ... that way you can exactly dial-in the front height and also easily address any drivers side lean (maybe not there when new, but will invariably occur over time).

Last edited by ASE; 03-07-21 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-10-21 | 05:38 PM
ps23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megamorph

Have you installed them yet? How is the ride compared to stock? Thanks!
Old 03-10-21 | 05:57 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

I would say keep them leveled and get some 2” lift springs in the rear. Which in reality would give you about an 1.75 of lift. Close to factory rate as possible. Also remember the rear of the GX significantly drops about 1/2 after adding 50-100 lbs
Old 03-11-21 | 10:59 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I was wondering what kind of ride the Bilsteins 5100 gave. I have 95k miles on my base 2011 and no doubt looking at struts and shocks. I’ve posted before about the ride being very firm and would like to make the ride a little more cushy. I don’t mind giving up some handling as the kdss does a great job at limiting lean. I also agree that minimal rake and as close to even would be my vote.
Old 03-13-21 | 08:00 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I was wondering what kind of ride the Bilsteins 5100 gave. I have 95k miles on my base 2011 and no doubt looking at struts and shocks. I’ve posted before about the ride being very firm and would like to make the ride a little more cushy. I don’t mind giving up some handling as the kdss does a great job at limiting lean. I also agree that minimal rake and as close to even would be my vote.
I got the 5100 on my 2011 but did not lift from stock height. The ride is just as good as stock and more composed. Not sure if that’s because I was comparing to stock suspension with 130k miles on it though? Either way I’m very happy and I was not looking for something stiff.
Old 03-16-21 | 08:21 PM
BigLClub
Driver School Candidate

Six,
Did the 5100's fix the nose divey feel to the GX when braking?
How many miles do you have on them now?
I am in the same idea. Stock height/ride. Just more control.

Also do you have the part #'s for the F/R shocks?

Thx
Old 02-19-22 | 11:38 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Yes i would like to know aswell ride quality with the 5100s.

Is it still a smooth lexus like ride or did it get firm/stiff more like a 4runner?

Thanks
Old 02-20-22 | 06:29 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dildildil
Yes i would like to know aswell ride quality with the 5100s.

Is it still a smooth lexus like ride or did it get firm/stiff more like a 4runner?

Thanks
Dildildil, it looks as though we are both searching for the same supple set up. I do most work myself with a mechanic friend so I’m waiting for the winter to end. If you do something be sure to post or message me. Good luck
Old 02-20-22 | 08:30 AM
ASE
Pole Position

I find these posts almost comical ... asking random internet people to describe shocks as "comfortable" ... "supple" ... "firm" ... "harsh". No matter the descriptor, it's all subjective, based on one's preference and expectation. Look on the range of Forums on this subject ... Lexus ... MUD ... 4-Runner ... Tacoma ... Sequoia... Tundra ... and you will find hundreds (maybe thousands) of opinions that are all over the map. All opinions are based on subjective expectations that are impossible for one to articulate consistent with another's subjective expectations. So for those that want that "Lexus Ride" (which is sub-standard IMHO) then save yourself the time and effort and replace your shocks same-for-same. Otherwise ... if possible ... drive a GX with the shocks under consideration so YOU can determine if the ride meets YOUR expectations. The opinion of others is immaterial if you are not happy with the end result. Call local shops that install Bilstein Shocks on the GX and ask if you can go around the block when they do their next GX install.

Last edited by ASE; 02-20-22 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ballistice (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22 | 09:11 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASE
I find these posts almost comical ... asking random internet people to describe shocks as "comfortable" ... "supple" ... "firm" ... "harsh". No matter the descriptor, it's all subjective, based on one's preference and expectation. Look on the range of Forums on this subject ... Lexus ... MUD ... 4-Runner ... Tacoma ... Sequoia... Tundra ... and you will find hundreds (maybe thousands) of opinions that are all over the map. All opinions are based on subjective expectations that are impossible for one to articulate consistent with another's subjective expectations. So for those that want that "Lexus Ride" (which is sub-standard IMHO) then save yourself the time and effort and replace your shocks same-for-same. Otherwise ... if possible ... drive a GX with the shocks under consideration so YOU can determine if the ride meets YOUR expectations. The opinion of others is immaterial if you are not happy with the end result. Call local shops that install Bilstein Shocks on the GX and ask if you can go around the block when they do their next GX install.
ASE, I understand what your saying but you do realize the entire concept of forums are to share opinions, ideas and experiences. I have yet to see a post from you that doesn’t reprimand or scold others for their ideas and opinions. I don’t think it’s “comical” to engage in helpful responses. I have been helped and guided by many members on this forum and I appreciate everyones opinion whether I agree or disagree with them. Thanks for all that have posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by ROSCOGX470:
AirForce8 (02-20-22), ronsatour5 (10-01-22)
Old 02-20-22 | 09:41 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
ASE, I understand what your saying but you do realize the entire concept of forums are to share opinions, ideas and experiences. I have yet to see a post from you that doesn’t reprimand or scold others for their ideas and opinions. I don’t think it’s “comical” to engage in helpful responses. I have been helped and guided by many members on this forum and I appreciate everyones opinion whether I agree or disagree with them. Thanks for all that have posted.
... you are completely missing my point. ​​​​​​​
Old 02-20-22 | 09:45 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASE
... you are completely missing my point.
I get your point and you make valid arguments. Thanks for your info.

Quick Reply: 2021 GX460 and Bilstein 5100