GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

ProClip Phone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 08:16 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default ProClip Phone Mount

I know...not another phone mount thread. However, I'm not looking for what solutions everyone is using but rather if anyone has gone the ProClip route and been happy with it. I've used their setup in another vehicle and it works great but it's not a vent mount design. Unfortunately, it seems their only offering for the GX is either the driver side vent or one of the two center vents. There are drawbacks to using the vents but I don't see any other elegant solutions unless there has been a recent revolution in phone mounts for the GX. The links below show the options for the Mount and the phone holder that would be required for my setup. That said, I'm curious to know how others may have ran the power for a mount to the left of the steering wheel. I suspect they tied right into the fuse box down below rather than running across the dash and down to one of the front USBs or ac power outlet. If possible, I'd like to see some pictures of this mount in others vehicle. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ProClip Phone Mount Options

Samsung S9 or S10e Phone holder
Old 03-16-21, 02:39 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

If you never use air conditioning, you’ll be fine. If you use it, your phone will get cold and probably covered in condensation when mounted. As large as the phones are today, you’ll also reduce the AC coming your way. Lastly, not to be negative but you’ll also have a cord dangling if you are charging it. Personally, I would never mount anything to AC vents. They’ll break over time.

I use a magnet mount and have it mounted down where the air suspension ***** would be if mine had that feature. I keep a 6” cord in the tray in case I need to charge.
Old 03-16-21, 05:00 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Piney1
If you never use air conditioning, you’ll be fine. If you use it, your phone will get cold and probably covered in condensation when mounted. As large as the phones are today, you’ll also reduce the AC coming your way. Lastly, not to be negative but you’ll also have a cord dangling if you are charging it. Personally, I would never mount anything to AC vents. They’ll break over time.

I use a magnet mount and have it mounted down where the air suspension ***** would be if mine had that feature. I keep a 6” cord in the tray in case I need to charge.
Right, I'm not thrilled with a vent mount and unfortunately the magnetic mounts won't work either since I make frequent use of QI charging. I realize you can try to strategically place the the metal ring so not to interfere with QI charging but that may be a hit or miss. I also looked over suction mounts but those are not reliable either long term and interfere with a windshield shade I make frequent use of during the summer months. That said, I can probably get by not using a mount for the daily drive but it be nice for those long term trips and mapping of the route. Alternatively, I could go the cup holder mount route and just live with the results but those have their caveats as well. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback and regardless of the choice there is going to be drawbacks.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 05:22 AM
NoMercy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Pro Clip mount does NOT use the AC vents to attach to the dash. It does not make any contact with the vents whatsoever. (At least the Pro clip mount I use for my iPhone 11 does not.)
The AC function is not hindered at all by the mount and phone. I have mine mounted to the right of the steering wheel and I run the power cord down along the edge of the nav screen and to the USB port near the shifter. I can barely tell it is there. The power cord routing clips they provide in the kit work very well. I can post some pics later if you want to see how it looks in my 2021 GX. After a lot of research, I found that the Pro Clip mount is the best solution for mounting an iPhone in a GX.
JMHO/YMMV
Piney1 (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 05:27 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NoMercy
The Pro Clip mount does NOT use the AC vents to attach to the dash. It does not make any contact with the vents whatsoever. (At least the Pro clip mount I use for my iPhone 11 does not.)
The AC function is not hindered at all by the mount and phone. I have mine mounted to the right of the steering wheel and I run the power cord down along the edge of the nav screen and to the USB port near the shifter. I can barely tell it is there. The power cord routing clips they provide in the kit work very well. I can post some pics later if you want to see how it looks in my 2021 GX. After a lot of research, I found that the Pro Clip mount is the best solution for mounting an iPhone in a GX.
JMHO/YMMV
Understood and that's what I saw in the videos as well. However, it still blocks air flow which is non-ideal. That be great if you can upload a few photos when you get a chance and including a side shot of the mount in front of the vent.
Old 03-16-21, 08:01 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

I've used ProClip mounts for many years, through many iPhones. Their GX offering is not my favorite. The biggest issue is that the base is square to the dash and there isn't enough pivot in the holder to get the phone facing the driver- it kind of aims at the middle of the cabin. It means I have to lean over for face ID to work.

I've been meaning to build some kind of shim to go between the mount and the holder to get it aimed better.

But they should have offset the base toward to driver.
Old 03-16-21, 08:48 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PNWRacer
I've used ProClip mounts for many years, through many iPhones. Their GX offering is not my favorite. The biggest issue is that the base is square to the dash and there isn't enough pivot in the holder to get the phone facing the driver- it kind of aims at the middle of the cabin. It means I have to lean over for face ID to work.

I've been meaning to build some kind of shim to go between the mount and the holder to get it aimed better.

But they should have offset the base toward to driver.
Good to know and should be an easy fix.
Old 03-16-21, 09:16 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
Right, I'm not thrilled with a vent mount and unfortunately the magnetic mounts won't work either since I make frequent use of QI charging. I realize you can try to strategically place the the metal ring so not to interfere with QI charging but that may be a hit or miss. I also looked over suction mounts but those are not reliable either long term and interfere with a windshield shade I make frequent use of during the summer months. That said, I can probably get by not using a mount for the daily drive but it be nice for those long term trips and mapping of the route. Alternatively, I could go the cup holder mount route and just live with the results but those have their caveats as well. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback and regardless of the choice there is going to be drawbacks.
In a perfect world, they’d make a case that can work with that charging method and a magnet. The shortie cord and where I mount mine works better for me than a non-magnet option. I have a mount in the shower too - yea I’m weird but people seem to call when I’m in there. Hope you get a good setup with it. Am not a fan of hogging up a cup holder for just the phone - then you could never close the lid. My ocd won’t allow me that option!

The mounts I use are just basic magnet mounts affixed with 3M tape. They survive in the hottest of climates too.
csfontnc (05-01-21)
Old 03-16-21, 01:59 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
In a perfect world, they’d make a case that can work with that charging method and a magnet. The shortie cord and where I mount mine works better for me than a non-magnet option. I have a mount in the shower too - yea I’m weird but people seem to call when I’m in there. Hope you get a good setup with it. Am not a fan of hogging up a cup holder for just the phone - then you could never close the lid. My ocd won’t allow me that option!

The mounts I use are just basic magnet mounts affixed with 3M tape. They survive in the hottest of climates too.
I have a magnetic mount adhered to the dash right above the volume button. It also has integrated wireless charging and it works fine with my Incipio case on an Iphone8. I'll try to get a pic later. Great for on road use, but it would fall off on bumpy roads.
The following 2 users liked this post by csrpenfab:
csfontnc (05-01-21), Piney1 (03-16-21)
Old 03-16-21, 02:17 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I have a magnetic mount adhered to the dash right above the volume button. It also has integrated wireless charging and it works fine with my Incipio case on an Iphone8. I'll try to get a pic later. Great for on road use, but it would fall off on bumpy roads.
Ok, sorry I was wrong, my mount is below the volume ****. 3m adhesive mounted and holds up fine in high CA temps. Wireless charging works great. I paid $25 on a black Friday deal and they're now $40.
https://natomounts.com/wirelessCart_ep_59.html

Old 03-16-21, 03:46 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Understood and that's what I saw in the videos as well. However, it still blocks air flow which is non-ideal. That be great if you can upload a few photos when you get a chance and including a side shot of the mount in front of the vent.
I have been using proclip for a little over 2 years now: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10599559

I had similar concerns as you did but it's not that big a of a deal now that i've had it for a while.

If people are concerned about heat coming out of the vents during winter, just shut off the vent. I've had zero issues with my phone on this mount. If your phone has condensation from the AC, you have phone issues, not the phone mount.
Old 03-16-21, 04:08 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

I just use this swivel magnet and a 6 or 9” cord for when it needs a charge.

Old 03-16-21, 04:28 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ltsr
I have been using proclip for a little over 2 years now: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10599559

I had similar concerns as you did but it's not that big a of a deal now that i've had it for a while.

If people are concerned about heat coming out of the vents during winter, just shut off the vent. I've had zero issues with my phone on this mount. If your phone has condensation from the AC, you have phone issues, not the phone mount.
Nice, I appreciate the pictures. Any reason you mounted it to the passenger vent and not the driver's side vent?
Old 03-16-21, 04:31 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice, I appreciate the pictures. Any reason you mounted it to the passenger vent and not the driver's side vent?
I do enjoy the AC my wife doesn't care so much, plus she still has the far right vent and ventilated seat to keep cool during the hot months. It's definitely a compromise, but it hasn't been an issue with us whatsoever.

If I need to charge my phone, i just have a short cable to the cubby right below.

I have an iPhone 10 and face ID works just fine sitting from the driver seat.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Old 03-16-21, 04:41 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ltsr
I do enjoy the AC my wife doesn't care so much, plus she still has the far right vent and ventilated seat to keep cool during the hot months. It's definitely a compromise, but it hasn't been an issue with us whatsoever.

If I need to charge my phone, i just have a short cable to the cubby right below.

I have an iPhone 10 and face ID works just fine sitting from the driver seat.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
LOL, my wife and I were just talking about the same pros/cons and came to the same conclusion. I'll probably go with the ProClip and call it a day. No need to over think it too much even though it limits one of the vents. Although, it's too bad they don't make some type of divider for the back to channel the air around it. It be nice if a future version had an option for a divider but that may just be wishful thinking.
ltsr (03-16-21)

Quick Reply: ProClip Phone Mount