GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Got my GX and First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 08:29 AM
vegomatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Got my GX and First Impressions

After a few months of looking, I finally got my GX! It's a 2011 460 and for perspective, it replaced a 2011 Mercedes ML350. I got it from that national chain of used car dealers and paid 21K, During the test drive, I took it to a mechanic and had him give it a once-over. It has 122K miles on it. I haven't driven it too much, due to my schedule, but I'm loving it so far.
So on to my first impressions. For as big a vehicle as it is, it drives a lot "smaller" if that makes any sense. According to the figures, it's a inch longer and an inch narrower than my ML, but it sure looks enormous! As is discussed elsewhere on this site, I'm shocked at the useless, no-account cup holders in front. Not only do they not hold anything, but they put the cups in the worst possible place, interfering with everything. I bought one of those inserts from Crafted by Matt, and it seems to help (though I can't fit a one-liter bottle in it. Can't have everything, I suppose.)
For as big as it is, there really isn't much hidden storage. I guess if the third row wasn't there, that would improve the situation. I really wish they made the third row optional, as I don't need the extra weight and complexity.
I'm not crazy about the side-opening back (last car had automatic hatch which I loved), but I can live with it. Still, they should have hinged it on the opposite side for easier curbside loading.
My ML had Blind Spot Monitoring which I loved, and the GX doesn't. I was concerned about that for just a minute; with those bigass side mirrors, I don't think I really need BSM.
I know people don't care for the navigation system but trust me--it's WAY better than the COMAND system in the Mercedes. Just light years ahead.
That's all so far!

2011 Lexus GX460
The following 5 users liked this post by vegomatic:
AAG (06-07-21), EANX (04-06-21), GX4602011 (04-06-21), IanB2 (04-05-21), kode3 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 05:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

There are some 3rd row deletes available if you feel like you will never need it.

https://www.goose-gear.com/collectio...-plate-systems
Old 04-05-21, 07:12 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

How was it maintained? At that mileage, you're probably due for quite a few things if you don't have records of them being done. Let us know and we can direct you to what you need to get done.

Great looking GX and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-06-21, 03:46 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vegomatic
After a few months of looking, I finally got my GX! It's a 2011 460 and for perspective, it replaced a 2011 Mercedes ML350. I got it from that national chain of used car dealers and paid 21K, During the test drive, I took it to a mechanic and had him give it a once-over. It has 122K miles on it. I haven't driven it too much, due to my schedule, but I'm loving it so far.
So on to my first impressions. For as big a vehicle as it is, it drives a lot "smaller" if that makes any sense. According to the figures, it's a inch longer and an inch narrower than my ML, but it sure looks enormous! As is discussed elsewhere on this site, I'm shocked at the useless, no-account cup holders in front. Not only do they not hold anything, but they put the cups in the worst possible place, interfering with everything. I bought one of those inserts from Crafted by Matt, and it seems to help (though I can't fit a one-liter bottle in it. Can't have everything, I suppose.)
For as big as it is, there really isn't much hidden storage. I guess if the third row wasn't there, that would improve the situation. I really wish they made the third row optional, as I don't need the extra weight and complexity.
I'm not crazy about the side-opening back (last car had automatic hatch which I loved), but I can live with it. Still, they should have hinged it on the opposite side for easier curbside loading.
My ML had Blind Spot Monitoring which I loved, and the GX doesn't. I was concerned about that for just a minute; with those bigass side mirrors, I don't think I really need BSM.
I know people don't care for the navigation system but trust me--it's WAY better than the COMAND system in the Mercedes. Just light years ahead.
That's all so far!
2011 Lexus GX460

One thing to keep in mind is that the GX (Toyota Land Cruiser 150/Prado 150) was designed primarily for countries that drive on the left (Japan & Australia/S.Africa etc.) so the rear door opening is the correct way for its intended market. It could be due to a law in Japan (or?) on how the door is allowed to open.

Same for the LX/LandCruiser not being designed primarily for the US market, the Toyota Sequoia (and Tundra) are however designed and made primarily for Americans. An Americanized version of the Prado 150 (GX) would be the 4Runner. We Americans are lucky to be able to get a Prado 150 in the US (via the GX) but who knows if Lexus will choose a different Toyota platform for the next gen GX or discontinue it altogether.

At 122K miles you get to look forward to cam tower leaks, coolant valley leak, water pump replacement, secondary air injection system issues (check to see if it had been replaced), passenger air bag recall (should have been completed by now) and replace the transmission fluid. Also check the frame and under body for excessive rust if you haven't already crawled under it. Not much else to worry about though (some others may chime in with more), and I'm sure you'll enjoy your GX as we all do/have. I really loved my 2011 and regret selling it (due to a move).
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (04-06-21)
Old 04-06-21, 09:05 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll never understand the tailgate, it can't be that much to at least put the hinges on the opposite side to at least look like you're trying. The rest of the vehicle is adapted for driving on the opposite side of the road (dash, steering wheel, etc) seems this would seem to me to be about the easiest thing to also flip over.

Or even just putting a traditional lift gate can't be that big on an engineering feat, this after all the "2nd most expensive" luxury SUV Lexus makes. Some of these things go out the door at over $75k+ new.

My favorite is when you are loading luggage to put in like say at an airport , and then you have to move everything all over again in order to open the tailgate. Or in my garage, you have to go on the far side of the car in order to grab something out of the back because that's the side that opens enough to squeeze through access with a closed garage door.

I love just about everything about the GX, except that. (well I also don't like the silver painted dash, looks cheap) Other owners I know feel the same way. It's still a great vehicle though and a bargain compared to how expensive lesser SUVs have become.
dwh13 (04-12-21)
Old 04-06-21, 11:22 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Side opening rear gate is intended to deal with a mounted spare tire ... so a lift Gate was not considered given in other countries these are actually used off road versus being grocery getters here in the states.
Piney1 (06-18-21)
Old 04-06-21, 01:04 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I love the barn door style and I like it opening on the drivers side. The lift gates on everything else keep bashing me in the head if I forget to duck and a hat is blocking my view and I am not tall at only 6'2".
The following 9 users liked this post by EricT64:
2LexusGX (04-08-21), bd5400 (06-15-21), BigSvensk (04-06-21), CFAI (04-06-21), csrpenfab (04-06-21), EANX (04-06-21), John00 (04-09-21), Piney1 (06-18-21), Soap (06-07-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-21, 10:31 PM
ps23
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pretty sure that the reason both the GX and the Disco doors open on the left side is because of the right-hand drive of their home market.

I owned a Land Rover Discovery II and the rear doors open just like our GX. Actually, I liked it this way because it is a lot closer to the driver so it is convenient to open and close. What I miss is the door-mounted spare tire. I wish that our GX had that option.

Old 04-08-21, 12:03 PM
2LexusGX
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricT64
I love the barn door style and I like it opening on the drivers side. The lift gates on everything else keep bashing me in the head if I forget to duck and a hat is blocking my view and I am not tall at only 6'2".
100 percent with you! One of our favorite things of the GX is the barn door style action in the back when opening and closing. The glass lifts up as well, so there is you "liftgate style" without having to move out of the way while opening. I can open barn door only slightly and still reach for the stuff in the back. I don't have to open the garage late at night to get stuff like you would have to with a liftgate. Our other car with the liftgate had to be adjusted lower to clear the garage, so I would hit my head often. Trips me out how people don't like it because you can still do liftgate style with the window in the back.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2LexusGX:
csrpenfab (04-08-21), Piney1 (06-18-21)
Old 04-12-21, 08:03 AM
WRooster
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For us, it was between the 4Runner and the GX. Also for us, my wife had to have the 3rd row. It was nice to know that they all have the 3rd row instead of the 4Runner that only has the option on the top end model or the bottom end model. Nothing in between. Once my wife drove the GX, the 4Runner wasn't even an option. We love it so far.
kode3 (04-12-21)
Old 06-07-21, 10:36 AM
AAG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You made a good choice. I got to drive one for about all of one week. Drove it to NYC. I traded it back in when my wife attempted to trade her 2012 MDX. They offered her next to nothing. I decided to take the MDX. It's a nice vehicle. Not terribly good on gas. It just didn't fit me. As you know, you have to go back and forth with the dealer when wanting to purchase. One day on our visit, I spotted my dream vehicle in the "to be prepped lot". The LX570 2009. It looked a bit beaten up on the front and rear bumper. My sales man (coach Williams) bent over backwards to have the bumpers painted, new mats, laundry list of service, engine plugs were changed( they got damaged when I test drove the vehicle the second time). Oh man... The Lx is a different beast. It has a monster waiting under that hood. The seats are way more comfortable. Air ride is so so comfy. It feels like a new vehicle. All the amenities to keep my fingers happy. I too had an ML 350. It too was great until things started to break. The fit and finish of the Lexus is so so far ahead. All I need is a interface for the radio. Need Apple Carplay and the ability to use waze/ google maps. Anyone have advice?
Old 06-07-21, 02:01 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EricT64
For sure... I am 6'3" and have nearly killed myself on the corner of a raised liftgate, more than once.

And the swing of the door is perfect for my garage. Guess you are never going to please everybody.
Piney1 (06-18-21)
Old 06-07-21, 04:28 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
For sure... I am 6'3" and have nearly killed myself on the corner of a raised liftgate, more than once.

And the swing of the door is perfect for my garage. Guess you are never going to please everybody.
Yep and and in reality things are going well relative to most people in this world if one's life has unfolded such that one's ride is a GX. Sure, there maybe many who have more, but there there are for certain many, many who have much less. I got a used '13 almost two years ago and I still can't believe it's my ride.
Old 06-14-21, 08:31 PM
ErnestPho
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tall so the side-swing door is a selling point. Tired of bumping my head on the lift gates. I've often wondered why they didn't swap the hinges to the opposite side, but not complaining since the direction it opens now is actually conducive to how I park and access it.
Old 06-15-21, 03:40 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestPho
I'm tall so the side-swing door is a selling point. Tired of bumping my head on the lift gates. I've often wondered why they didn't swap the hinges to the opposite side, but not complaining since the direction it opens now is actually conducive to how I park and access it.
It wouldn't just be the hinges. They would need to move the locking system, switch the handle to the other side, and switch the glass button to the other side for it to make sense. From a cost and manufacturing perspective I can see why they took the route they did, especially considering the state of the world economy when the GX 460 was released.

Quick Reply: Got my GX and First Impressions