Lexus GX460 OEM KYB electronic shock exact replacement alternative

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 09:14 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus GX460 OEM KYB electronic shock exact replacement alternative

Background

The GX460 comes with either normal shocks or adjustable electronic shocks (if you have electronic shocks your SUV will have 2 available toggle switches just right of the gear shifter: Height control and Comfort/Normal/Sport; if you have a GX with normal shocks, these are blanked out with flat covers for these 2 spots). The front electronic shocks have adjustable damping based on a motor on the top that spins an internal rod to stiffen or soften the damping. The rear electronic shocks, I believe, are ferromagnetic so they get stiffer or softer based the voltage applied to it. The electronic shocks are significantly more expensive than the standard shocks.

KYB makes the OE genuine Lexus shocks for the GX460 models with the electronic shocks. The genuine Lexus-labeled electronic shocks are quite expensive ($350 for each front and $750 for each rear) and I wanted some high quality alternatives. After a bit of research, I found the exact OEM KYB parts from a trusted parts supplier from Dubai (PartsOuq.com) that I've bought genuine Lexus parts many times before.

I bought the following from Partsouq.com and they arrived within a week for installation. The fit, function, finish, electronic harness and manufacturer are the same as the genuine Lexus shocks except that you don't pay the heavy dealer markup fees. The OEM KYB exact replacement shocks are made to sell in countries that don't have exclusivity agreements with Toyota/Lexus hence why the price is right.

Part numbers listed below [NOTE: only buy these parts if you have electronic shocks in your GX460; if you don't have the factory electronic shocks, you will have to order a different set of parts for around $350 (which will have a different part number set)):

741071 KYB front OEM electronic shocks ($110/each; order 2)
4860960090 genuine front shock mounts for electronic shocks ($35/each; order 2)
741072 KYB rear OEM electronic shocks ($173/each; order 2)
4850560110 genuine rear shock cushion #1 ($7/each; order 2)
4850560120 genuine rear shock cushion #2 ($9/each; order 2)

Install Notes (see attached PDF excerpts)

Rears. Difficulty 1.5/5. Installation for the rears is very simple (upper shock tower bolt and lower shock tower bolt; put in the 2 new cushions during install) and will take you about 1.5 hrs taking your time. You’ll need large vise grips to hold the shock tower so it doesn’t spin when you remove the top bolt. Take note of how far down the threads the top bolt is before you remove it, as you’ll be tightening it down to the same spot.

Fronts. Difficulty 3/5. The front installation is a bit more involved (and very similar to most front coil strut replacements), but you'll need: 1) a rented spring compressor, 2) be very patient to make sure you take off the shock tower actuator motor very carefully so you don't strip the 4mm Allen bolts holding it in place due to tight access (extremely important and probably most tricky bit; I used a 4mm Allen bit with a ¼” crescent to turn the bolt head slowly; also of note, during re-assembly, before you reinstall the new shock/coil assembly, loose fit the actuator head back on the new shock tower and align the actuator center motor bit with the flat spindle inside the top of the new shock arm, so don’t have issues during on car install), and 3) the KDSS sway bar can be tricky to put back in place (you'll need a second set of hands to install and a second jack to lift up up the sway bar to put in place). Of note, for the KDSS sway bar, I skipped factory instruction steps 4 and 6--you don’t need to fully remove the sway bar, you just need to remove the 2 end bolts at each control arm so it can articulate to remove the shock/coil assembly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front GX460 electronic shock.pdf (874.4 KB, 558 views)
File Type: pdf
rear GX460 eletronic shock.pdf (405.6 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-03-21 at 05:09 PM.
The following 17 users liked this post by SeattleGS400:
Acrad (06-03-21), AutoB (12-15-22), ballistice (01-22-22), bbqsoup (06-02-21), ch99tj (05-15-23), IanB2 (06-04-21), kamranrafi (11-16-23), M4rk (06-03-21), mikedallas (11-13-23), mikedmr (12-06-22), Romanova (06-03-21), sixbanger (11-11-22), skyrocket1 (07-15-21), Soap (06-03-21), SteveInCal (07-15-22), tqh (03-22-22), WRD4chano (06-03-21) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-21, 07:09 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Great post. What mileage did you get out of your stock units?
Old 06-03-21, 01:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Do you think this little 4mm hex would fit in there?

https://co-motion.com/products/4mm-allen-key-hex-wrench

Old 06-03-21, 04:45 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad
Do you think this little 4mm hex would fit in there?

https://co-motion.com/products/4mm-allen-key-hex-wrench

This part definitely would, esp for the hard to access, rear actuator bolt, as that was a tough one to get to. Also, spray some liquid penentrant on the bolt and let it sit for 10 minutes to make your job easier. Be absolutely sure the Allen key is set square and flush in the Allen head before loosening it as the bolt material is semi-soft. This part would have made my life a lot easier had I known about it beforehand.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-03-21)
Old 07-15-21, 01:14 PM
skyrocket1
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the information. Can you please comment on how these shocks ride comparing to the originals? I have read some comments that these ride firmer comparing to stock.
Old 07-17-21, 05:28 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally Posted by skyrocket1
Thank you for the information. Can you please comment on how these shocks ride comparing to the originals? I have read some comments that these ride firmer comparing to stock.
If we compared the worn original shocks that came out of my car vs. the new KYB, yes they will seem firmer. The original shocks were worn out and really didn't dampen that well due to use/age.

However, these new KYBs gave my GX460 a new car feel--a nice compliant ride that's not harsh and still well within Lexus standards. Without directly comparing to a newer GX460 with good shocks, I can't tell you if the original Lexus valving vs. these KYBs are different.

In the end, I wouldn't hesitate in getting these direct replacement KYBs again--not to mention the significant savings over the much costlier Lexus stamped factory KYBs. I expect these replacements to last another 10 years, although I'm pretty sure this vehicle won't still be in my garage in 2031.
The following 5 users liked this post by SeattleGS400:
Acrad (07-17-21), bbqsoup (07-19-21), chrisca70 (07-23-21), SteveInCal (07-19-21), WRD4chano (07-19-21)
Old 09-07-21, 12:11 PM
skyrocket1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SeattleGS400
If we compared the worn original shocks that came out of my car vs. the new KYB, yes they will seem firmer. The original shocks were worn out and really didn't dampen that well due to use/age.

However, these new KYBs gave my GX460 a new car feel--a nice compliant ride that's not harsh and still well within Lexus standards. Without directly comparing to a newer GX460 with good shocks, I can't tell you if the original Lexus valving vs. these KYBs are different.

In the end, I wouldn't hesitate in getting these direct replacement KYBs again--not to mention the significant savings over the much costlier Lexus stamped factory KYBs. I expect these replacements to last another 10 years, although I'm pretty sure this vehicle won't still be in my garage in 2031.
I have researched more into this topic especially with the Prado 150 community forums since these shocks first came out around 2016. I had KYB shocks installed about 3 weeks ago and can confirm that they provide great ride characteristics and new like car feel especially comparing to the original shocks with 100K miles on them. Thank you SeattleGS400 for your original post!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by skyrocket1:
ch99tj (05-15-23), WRD4chano (09-07-21)
Old 09-08-21, 05:34 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Great timing on this thread. I have a leaking front AVS shock at 69k and need to replace them. The Lexus shocks are about $190 on PartSouq while the KYB is $109. It would make sense that these are essentially the same part of it’s known that KYB are an OE supplier.

Old 09-09-21, 09:24 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Even if KYB is OE supplier, they would still be firmer than stock Lexus part. KYB is always on the firm side. I replaced quite a few struts and shocks with KYB for previous cars and that was my experience with them.

Originally Posted by JonGX
Great timing on this thread. I have a leaking front AVS shock at 69k and need to replace them. The Lexus shocks are about $190 on PartSouq while the KYB is $109. It would make sense that these are essentially the same part of it’s known that KYB are an OE supplier.
Old 09-09-21, 12:58 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Even if KYB is OE supplier, they would still be firmer than stock Lexus part. KYB is always on the firm side. I replaced quite a few struts and shocks with KYB for previous cars and that was my experience with them.
thanks for sharing your experience. I think i was just assuming that the lexus shock was the exact same item, just in a different box.
Old 09-09-21, 01:18 PM
skyrocket1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Here is the video that shows the comparison between KYB OEM and KYB shocks.
The only difference is an extra washer that may potentially add some firmness. Since installing them I can't say that the truck drives noticeably firmer than before.

Last edited by skyrocket1; 09-09-21 at 01:26 PM.
bbqsoup (11-10-21)
Old 09-09-21, 01:22 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Here is the video that shows the comparison between KYB OEM and KYB shocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEViDBQssbM The only difference is an extra washer that may potentially add some firmness. Since installing them I can't say that the truck drives noticeable firmer than before.
thanks for sharing!
Old 11-09-21, 08:34 AM
TheNomad
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info. My question would be if anyone uses these for offroad adventures, more like overland, camping, desert, no nasty rock crawling but forest and logging roads etc?
Which setting do you use and did it make any difference?

I like the idea I can keep features the truck came with and add a slight lift with the rear air bags and a front 1.5" max lift.
Then all terrain tires and that's it for now.
Daily driver status, fun on weekends.

I don't intend to lift it 3" and put massive tires. In a few years if I feel like really getting into difficult passes I'd be ready to step up.

If these may be slightly stiffer than stock then is the sport setting even more noticeable?

Last edited by TheNomad; 11-09-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 03:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

TheNomad: I usually put in Comfort off-road myself but in 4L this apparently triggers Comfort and RAHC Hi automatically.....according to FSM...

One of those "I need to confirm myself" but always forget to check after being in off-road situations

I'll try to do some checks in next couple weeks to see if that does indeed occur though.

TheNomad (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21, 07:05 PM
TheNomad
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have researched more into this topic especially with the Prado 150 community forums since these shocks first came out around 2016. I had KYB shocks installed about 3 weeks ago and can confirm that they provide great ride characteristics and new like car feel especially comparing to the original shocks with 100K miles on them. Thank you SeattleGS400 for your original post!!!
Do you have a lift or leveling for front or anything? I'm considering this for a small 1.5" boost and keeping all the features I have.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX460 OEM KYB electronic shock exact replacement alternative