GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 GX Discussion - Black Line Edition in black and Nori Green Pearl/ AA CP 10.3"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21 | 12:58 PM
tjspark1
Rookie

yeah I know. My sea doo has been stranded in my driveway and it’s getting close to freezing here.

Definitely take advantage of the brother and tools. It’s really a 60-90 minute job with beer. I was already taking it in for the tire swap as the dealer is 2 miles from my house. I caved easily lol

My truck was delivered to a dealer in Long Island so not far from the port I gather.

Originally Posted by jlficken
Thanks for the tip!

I'd happily pay the dealer to install it for me before I pick it up, however, if it's after I pick it up I may just do it myself as I have all of the tools and a Master ASE Certified mechanic for a brother I'll just have to see if I want to go for a 300 mile drive to have it installed when the time comes.

11 weeks from being built to delivered is kind of crazy. 5 weeks from leaving the port in CA to get to central NE is even crazier. I hate the time we live in LOL.

I'll be happy when it gets here but being unable to tow anything for 4 months now while waiting for a vehicle is getting annoying. Especially since it's not going to have a hitch now.

ETA: Did you just go with P-Metric tires or did you go with LT E rated tires? I'm going with XL Rubitrek on mine in OEM size but yours look really good too. How's the ride?
The following users liked this post:
jlficken (10-29-21)
Old 10-29-21 | 08:17 PM
nekoni
10th Gear

Default Hey

Originally Posted by tjspark1

Just thought I’d share one with the stock size Toyo AT3 on. So far so good!
I’ve been looking for someone post toyo oc at3 with stock spec tires since the 1st day I got my white black line.
Finally!! It looks great with stock size!! Nice done!!
Btw,how’s the ride compares to the stock tires?
Andeee (10-30-21)
Old 10-31-21 | 11:34 AM
DSMinATL
Driver

For those who purchased the Black Line, a few questions for you. I currently have a deposit on a Black Line (won't arrive for another month). However, I've never seen one in person and my wife, who will be primarily driving it, has some concerns based on the pictures we have seen.

1. We originally wanted the Sepia interior because the Ecru is too light and the used ones we have seen with black did not age well. In some pictures, the BL seats look more dark gray than they do black. How would you describe the actual color?

2. What is the texture of the wood steering wheel? Since it is a matte finish she is worried how well it will hold up to oils and lotions on the hands. I would much rather have leather all the way around but I haven't seen a single 2022 with a solid leather steering wheels. All of the Premium models have the wood/leather added on.
Old 10-31-21 | 01:13 PM
nekoni
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DSMinATL
For those who purchased the Black Line, a few questions for you. I currently have a deposit on a Black Line (won't arrive for another month). However, I've never seen one in person and my wife, who will be primarily driving it, has some concerns based on the pictures we have seen.

1. We originally wanted the Sepia interior because the Ecru is too light and the used ones we have seen with black did not age well. In some pictures, the BL seats look more dark gray than they do black. How would you describe the actual color?

2. What is the texture of the wood steering wheel? Since it is a matte finish she is worried how well it will hold up to oils and lotions on the hands. I would much rather have leather all the way around but I haven't seen a single 2022 with a solid leather steering wheels. All of the Premium models have the wood/leather added on.
1. I would say the gray part is more blackish in actual.
2. Yes the wood part of steering wheel is a matte finish and it dose provide a good amount of grip so far. Not sure about hand lotions..

Btw,When you go pick up the car, test drive it and make sure the steering wheel is centered. Mine is off around 3-4degrees to the left while driving straight.

Last edited by nekoni; 10-31-21 at 01:19 PM.
DSMinATL (10-31-21)
Old 10-31-21 | 02:10 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Originally Posted by nekoni
1. I would say the gray part is more blackish in actual.
2. Yes the wood part of steering wheel is a matte finish and it dose provide a good amount of grip so far. Not sure about hand lotions..

Btw,When you go pick up the car, test drive it and make sure the steering wheel is centered. Mine is off around 3-4degrees to the left while driving straight.

Thank you for the reply and the closeup pictures! I personally like the color but I’m trying to make sure she will as well.

Also, thanks for the tip on the alignment. I had a new 4Runner years ago with the same problem but fortunately it was an easy fix.
Old 10-31-21 | 02:21 PM
NiteDipper
Rookie

Originally Posted by DSMinATL

The photos Nekoni posted above shows the seat color well. The grey is a darker grey and the black is a lighter black making the contrast between the two a bit more subtle than what I see in the Lexus marketing photos. I suspect the initial marketing photos of the interior where photoshopped photos of a premium trim GX. The plastics in the Marketing photo look lighter than what is in the BL, it resembles what is in the standard GX's.
The wheel feels good. I like leather also but leather cracks at the top where it is hit by the sun after about 15 years where I am and expect the wood to look ratty after 15 years also but it will be easier to restore than leather at that point if you are thinking long term.

Last edited by NiteDipper; 10-31-21 at 02:24 PM.
DSMinATL (10-31-21)
Old 10-31-21 | 05:34 PM
mrose929
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CFAI
Anyone with the '22 - do you use the keypad for controlling the infotainment, or do you just use the touchscreen? For those '22 owners who have had a '21 or earlier GX460, is the new touchscreen harder/easier to reach and manipulate than the older one?
Only had mine for a few days. I've never liked the touch pad idea but honestly I've found myself using it.
Old 10-31-21 | 05:43 PM
mrose929
Driver School Candidate

Looks great. Looking at the same tire. Thinking of going to the 265/65/18. Any noticeable road noise? Still ride just as good as stock tires?
Old 10-31-21 | 05:46 PM
mrose929
Driver School Candidate

Looks great. Looking at the same tire. Thinking of going to the 265/65/18. Any noticeable road noise? Still ride just as good as stock tires?
bowhun2r (11-01-21)
Old 10-31-21 | 06:38 PM
situman
Pole Position

[QUOTE=DSMinATL;11155489]Thank you for the reply and the closeup pictures! I personally like the color but I’m trying to make sure she will as well.

Also, thanks for the tip on the alignment. I had a new 4Runner years ago with the same problem but fortunately it was an easy

The off center steering is due to the uneven road, perhaps for drainage purposes. The wheel will never center unless the road is glass flat.
Old 10-31-21 | 06:40 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrose929
I miss the Michelin. The Bridgestone on my prem+ feels a bit tingly. Probably cuz of the more gappy treads.
Old 11-02-21 | 04:49 AM
tjspark1
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrose929
So far the tires have been very smooth. For me there isn’t a noticeable difference in ride quality. Certainly not like my TRD 4runner I had prior. This truck is just so cushy and smooth. I’m happy with the tires and would recommend them.
mrose929 (11-16-21)
Old 11-08-21 | 06:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Default 2022 vs 2018 driving impressions

So after a month and 1k miles later, the 2022 model definitely has a different feel from my 2018.

Ride - Definitely better damped. Perhaps different shocks or tuning. Less crashy on the bumpstops and the Bridgestones I currently have is 3lbs heavier than the Michelins from my 2018.
Powertrain - Mixed bag for me.
- More responsive in the lower RPM ranges than my 2018
- Transmission doesnt hunt nearly as much
- Exhaust seems louder and freer flowing
- Big negative was I feel like to achieve all of that, from 1800 to 2000rpm, there's z buzzing through the floorpan and steering wheel
NVH
- In addition to the buzziness mentioned above, the cabin seems a bit boomier. It could be due to the Bridgestones
- Truck still feels solid
- Less wind noise due to the laminated front side glass
- A bit more engine vibrations being felt during idle
- A bit more road and tire noise and graininess being felt, again perhaps Bridgestones?
- Less kickbacks through the steering
- No creaks or rattles to be found, so far
Brakes
- Feels more progressive, better initial bite and reassuring
Infotainment and interior
- Worlds better. Was not disappointed
- Wish I can control Youtube music while AA is in use. I listen to music using Youtube music. And everytime I change volume, the music pauses.
- Definitely feel they have cheapened the interior a tiny bit. The window switches no longer surrounded by wood and shift **** just doesnt feel as smooth and premium are just 2 examples.

The following 4 users liked this post by situman:
Acrad (11-08-21), bbqsoup (11-08-21), hydrovane (11-08-21), SEELEXUS (11-09-21)
Old 11-08-21 | 10:23 AM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Default Cross bars?

Truck looks great! I have a deposit on one as well. Did the roof cross bars come part of the vehicle or dealer add-on? I never saw my build doc, only told my rep that I wanted the Black Line Nori green and he quoted me a price (MSRP) and settled on my trade-in. ETA December. Thanks!

Last edited by bowhun2r; 11-08-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-08-21 | 10:41 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Same trim level? (Prem to prem or lux to lux)? I wonder if all if it is due to the Tires and maybe brand new brakes? Surprised that they would retune engine/transmission. How does the new wheel feel? Looks smaller circumference - is it easier to drive with? Feel more/less cheap? I think the buzz would offset any improvements for me. Do like the idea of the more sound resistant glass.

I wonder if David Koichi Chao (https://www.automotivepress.com/about) is on the board - he might have behind the scenes info about updates to the powertrain Lexus may have made.

Last edited by CFAI; 11-08-21 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 2022 GX Discussion - Black Line Edition in black and Nori Green Pearl/ AA CP 10.3"