GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 GX Discussion - Black Line Edition in black and Nori Green Pearl/ AA CP 10.3"

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21 | 02:40 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

I wound up the chat with the General Manager at the dealership and was told the current ETA on my GX is now 11/11-11/15 but it could change. It was 11/15-11/22 2 weeks ago so it's moved up a week....wohoo!

He hadn't heard about the hitch issues but had me hold on while he talked to the parts manager and he found out what I knew in that the hitches are on stop sale and there's no ETA as to when they'll be back. I'll just wait for them to come back as I want a Class IV hitch.
Old 11-08-21 | 03:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CFAI
Same trim level? (Prem to prem or lux to lux)? I wonder if all if it is due to the Tires and maybe brand new brakes? Surprised that they would retune engine/transmission. How does the new wheel feel? Looks smaller circumference - is it easier to drive with? Feel more/less cheap? I think the buzz would offset any improvements for me. Do like the idea of the more sound resistant glass.

I wonder if David Koichi Chao (https://www.automotivepress.com/about) is on the board - he might have behind the scenes info about updates to the powertrain Lexus may have made.
Premium to premium+

The steering is of good quality overall. I do miss the open bottom center and where i can just rest my hand there.

Engine response is def better
The following users liked this post:
CFAI (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21 | 04:06 PM
tjspark1
Rookie

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Truck looks great! I have a deposit on one as well. Did the roof cross bars come part of the vehicle or dealer add-on? I never saw my build doc, only told my rep that I wanted the Black Line Nori green and he quoted me a price (MSRP) and settled on my trade-in. ETA December. Thanks!

thank you. The cross bars were listed on the window sticker as black line cross bars $405. I wasn’t in a position to debate options as is the case with toyota/Lexus products. That said I like the look. Probably 3x what they are worth but it is what it is.
bowhun2r (11-09-21)
Old 11-08-21 | 04:09 PM
tjspark1
Rookie

I heard that lexus of Edison NJ had a green coming in but it might be sold at this point. My salesperson reached back out and asked if I had found one yet. I said yes and no response.
Old 11-09-21 | 09:20 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

A GX popped up on the dealers website today that has a Window Sticker create date that is 1 second *after* mine and the end of the VIN is only a couple hundred away from mine as well.

I'm so close I can taste it LOL.

Last edited by jlficken; 11-09-21 at 10:27 AM.
NiteDipper (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21 | 09:57 AM
carlspackl
Driver School Candidate

After 500 miles on my '22 (my first GX!), a few quick thoughts:
-I'm about 80% highway and averaging 17.9 mpg. I have to set the cruise pretty high though to keep up with flow of traffic on Texas highways.
-The infotainment is great. I use carplay almost every trip and it has worked flawlessly- no buggy drop outs or restarts.
-My only real super minor gripe is that I wish there was a physical Sync button for the climate controls. Sometimes my wife adjusts her side and then the next time I get in the truck I have to go into the infotainment to re-sync the auto temperature between driver, passenger, and rear.
Overall I'm absolutely loving it.
DSMinATL (11-10-21)
Old 11-09-21 | 10:38 AM
NiteDipper
Rookie

Originally Posted by jlficken
A GX popped up on the dealers website today that has a Window Sticker create date that is 1 second *after* mine and the end of the VIN is only a couple hundred away from mine as well.

I'm so close I can taste it LOL.
The excitement builds, Good Luck!
Old 11-09-21 | 10:46 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NiteDipper
The excitement builds, Good Luck!
Thanks! It's been a long 5 months since I sold my 4Runner.
Old 11-09-21 | 04:01 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

I had a '21 for a loaner and absolutely love the new steering wheel for its size and grip!

I'll probably do a leather wrap on mine to enhance the grip..
Old 11-09-21 | 05:03 PM
JasonJi
Rookie

I feel there is a vibration when speed is around 40-60 MPH
Old 11-10-21 | 05:03 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

I drove my friends '17 and I prefer the 'weight' of his steering/steering wheel compared to my '22. It felt heavier and just over all more... 'luxurious'. I don't know how to describe it.
Old 11-10-21 | 06:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I drove my friends '17 and I prefer the 'weight' of his steering/steering wheel compared to my '22. It felt heavier and just over all more... 'luxurious'. I don't know how to describe it.
I think the word you are looking for was substantial. The steering wheel is a smaller diameter on the new one, so they probably had to boost it a bit more otherwise it will be harder to turn.
Old 11-10-21 | 11:57 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by situman
I think the word you are looking for was substantial. The steering wheel is a smaller diameter on the new one, so they probably had to boost it a bit more otherwise it will be harder to turn.
I had no idea it was smaller, but the steering feel of driving the '17 did feel more luxurious. It reminded me of the old Benz ML-320. That's purely subjective of course.
Old 11-10-21 | 02:16 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Definitely those 2020+ have better suspension and brake feel.

I upgraded from 2019 to 2020 and have driven 201x many times.
Old 11-12-21 | 08:24 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

situman---I'll offer my experiences, contrasting the differences I have found between my 2021 GX Prem Plus, Sport Design vs. two of my 2016 Premiums. (Black & Starfire Pearl)

Originally Posted by situman
So after a month and 1k miles later, the 2022 model definitely has a different feel from my 2018.

Ride - Definitely better damped. Perhaps different shocks or tuning. Less crashy on the bumpstops and the Bridgestones I currently have is 3lbs heavier than the Michelins from my 2018.--Agree/disagree, owing to my tire choices between both 16's. More below.

Powertrain - Mixed bag for me.
- More responsive in the lower RPM ranges than my 2018---No discernable differences between 16's and my'21.
- Transmission doesnt hunt nearly as much--No discernable differences between 16's and my'21.
- Exhaust seems louder and freer flowing-No discernable differences between 16's and my'21.
- Big negative was I feel like to achieve all of that, from 1800 to 2000rpm, there's z buzzing through the floorpan and steering wheel--maybe there's a "loose" shield or plastic cover under that shields the oil pan/filter area. I have experienced no discernable differences between 16's and my'21.

NVH
- In addition to the buzziness mentioned above, the cabin seems a bit boomier. It could be due to the Bridgestones--Here's where my findings both support and depart from yours, all based on tires.
--'21 has Dunlap Grandtrek tires...very quiet and smooth. Lexus runs these on the LX.
--Wife's Starfire has OE BS Dueler HT (believe D840)...super smooth and quiet.
--Black '16 had BS Alenza HL. much stiffer sidewall and more aggressive tread pattern = noisier and rougher ride. (Traded Black in on the '21)

- Truck still feels solid--100%
- Less wind noise due to the laminated front side glass--agree, especially vs my '16 with the BS Alenza HL's
- A bit more engine vibrations being felt during idle--don't notice any differences at all
- A bit more road and tire noise and graininess being felt, again perhaps Bridgestones?--See above
- Less kickbacks through the steering--somewhat agree. Noticed ever so slight "kickback" when changing lanes on a heavily rutted highway with my '16.
- No creaks or rattles to be found, so far--agree. No diff between the '21 and 16's
Brakes
- Feels more progressive, better initial bite and reassuring--no diff. BUT, I do notice that the ABS is much less intrusive than my Black '16. Can't comment on wife's as I hardly ever drive it.

Infotainment and interior
- Worlds better. Was not disappointed--Gotta be 1000% better than all previous model years!
- Wish I can control Youtube music while AA is in use. I listen to music using Youtube music. And everytime I change volume, the music pauses. --Obviously, no comment.
- Definitely feel they have cheapened the interior a tiny bit. The window switches no longer surrounded by wood and shift **** just doesnt feel as smooth and premium are just 2 examples.
--Mostly agree.
--'21 still has wood around window switches. It's the black whatever type wood they used. (BTW, I still think my wife's Starfire Pearl with the light beige leather and mahogany wood is the best of the three. Looks and smells great!)
--'21 has pleather...not bad, but not leather. Both of my 16's had leather bolsters/trim. (smells great)
--At some point Lexus dumped the beautiful wood/leather wrapped shift lever and equally classy steering wheel in favor of the cheap RX plastic and vinyl shift lever and boot.
--'21 did gain heated steering wheel
--'21 Sport Design pkg. gave me captain's chairs and power third row seats...a nice touch.

Again, these are just my impressions based on the ownership of the three GX's that I have had.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hrocks:
GXLEXD (11-12-21), llq (11-13-21), m5rahul (11-12-21)

Quick Reply: 2022 GX Discussion - Black Line Edition in black and Nori Green Pearl/ AA CP 10.3"