GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 GX Discussion - Black Line Edition in black and Nori Green Pearl/ AA CP 10.3"

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22 | 02:21 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Hrocks
I admit that I'm cyber challenged, so maybe I'm confused...I looked on the Grom website and it shows that it's powered by Android, not Apple. Will it work with iPhones?
Apple CarPlay is an application or technically called “API” stands for Application Programming Interface. So, it can be running under Android or any other operating systems.

Last edited by hzhao; 03-20-22 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-20-22 | 07:23 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Thank you! Would you be inclined to share your advice on the install any configuration tricks and where to hide the box? Thanks again!
Old 03-20-22 | 07:56 PM
hzhao
Racer

Thank you! Would you be inclined to share your advice on the install any configuration tricks and where to hide the box? Thanks again!
I have used another brand similar to Grom, as few of members here did, it is by Lsailt. The installation is fairly straightforward, the kit comes with all the cables and harnesses for plug and play installation. I have the unit installed right under the gear shifter since there is lots of space there. I know others have it installed in glovebox as well. Lsailt unit supports both wired and wireless CarPlay, as well as Android Auto. From my experiences since installation, with newest firmware, it has been running well so far. I had the write up on this forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uccessful.html
Old 03-21-22 | 04:45 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hzhao
I have used another brand similar to Grom, as few of members here did, it is by Lsailt. The installation is fairly straightforward, the kit comes with all the cables and harnesses for plug and play installation. I have the unit installed right under the gear shifter since there is lots of space there. I know others have it installed in glovebox as well. Lsailt unit supports both wired and wireless CarPlay, as well as Android Auto. From my experiences since installation, with newest firmware, it has been running well so far. I had the write up on this forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uccessful.html
Thanks for the link to your earlier install...very revealing, and concerning that there were many bugs that you and the others had to overcome. I realize that the install was in 2020, so there may have well been refinements of these units. Is there any one unit/company that has all of the gremlins fixed? Thanks again!
Old 03-21-22 | 06:25 AM
hzhao
Racer

Thanks for the link to your earlier install...very revealing, and concerning that there were many bugs that you and the others had to overcome. I realize that the install was in 2020, so there may have well been refinements of these units. Is there any one unit/company that has all of the gremlins fixed? Thanks again!
basically, all those aftermarket brands and units use the same processor and base architecture, so the essential components and software are the same. It is really coming down to individual preference and comfort level in dealing with the suppliers and supports. Grom and Phoenix are brands that listed with local US support and some local contracted installers, although I have no experiences with either of them. Lsailt is based in China with direct online support from the manufacturer. One thing to keep in mind, no matter which vender you select, the products are all made in China. I picked Lsailt based on they are a manufacturer primary make the add-on units for Toyota/Lexus, and with my language background, it is easier to communicate with manufacturer directly for any supporting issues. So far, based on all the discussions on this board with varies brands, I feel that I have experienced relatively trouble free with the Lsailt unit with my installation on both 2014GX and 2016 LX so far.
Old 03-21-22 | 06:51 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

I think I must be the only person that tried CarPlay once and never used it again. I only wanted the better screen and controls of the 2022 model rather than Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

I just use the built-in maps and a thumb drive with media. The benefit to the thumb drive is that the native media player in the GX will play movies while Apple CarPlay won't.

I also inherently distrust wireless connections after being in IT for a long, long time now it not being wireless doesn't bother me since I'll most likely want to charge my phone while using it if I ever do use it.

My wife will use it now that she got an iPhone in her RAV4 since it doesn't have built-in maps and the 2019 MY didn't have Android Auto.
Old 03-21-22 | 07:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by jlficken
I think I must be the only person that tried CarPlay once and never used it again. I only wanted the better screen and controls of the 2022 model rather than Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

I just use the built-in maps and a thumb drive with media. The benefit to the thumb drive is that the native media player in the GX will play movies while Apple CarPlay won't.

I also inherently distrust wireless connections after being in IT for a long, long time now it not being wireless doesn't bother me since I'll most likely want to charge my phone while using it if I ever do use it.

My wife will use it now that she got an iPhone in her RAV4 since it doesn't have built-in maps and the 2019 MY didn't have Android Auto.
Personally speaking, I don’t use Apple CarPlay a lot myself. But the benefit with my add-on is to utilize the native Waze and other apps on my head unit, since I carry a personal hotspot device most of time. Waze offers you much more safety features than just navigation. For those don’t have personal hot spot all the time, CarPlay and android auto by utilizing the phone data connection is certainly beneficial. BTW, all those aftermarket add-on units has the media play function via usb connectivities.
Old 03-21-22 | 06:44 PM
stilleni30
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
The 2022 CarPlay addition and infotainment update was the main thing holding me back on a GX460 purchase. I was resigned to waiting for the next gen GX for that to happen.

I feel the 2022 GX460 has more than sufficient tech for my needs, comfort and enjoyment (I’m coming from an Audi which had more advanced technology and comfort related items - when something tech related (e.g., electric seat adjustment) broke or required repair/adjustment, it cost an arm and a leg due to the greater amount of tech and the tight tech integration).

Every time a YouTube reviewer (or anyone) says the dash/tech/interior layout of GX460 “Is old school,” “outdated” or “not modern” - I LOVE IT! That’s (just) one of the reasons I bought it.

In my mind, no vehicle is perfect but there is a vehicle perfect for you.
Could not agree with this more. I had a 17 Q7 Prestige with every option including map display on the gauge cluster, apple carplay/android auto (wired), and myriad options for adjustments and customizations, including fancy shmancy LED interior lighting that changes colors etc. Most of it was a huge distraction over the past years of owning that car. Plus, there was the ever looming feeling that something was going to break eventually and would have some "dependency" on another system and that the whole module or system would require replacement just to regain lost functionality. I used the android auto a handful of times and it was quite frankly more annoying as every time I did decide to use it (requires plugging in and would NOT fast-charge, instead would slow-charge and heat up my phone significantly) it would always seem to require some updates and signing off on new disclaimers every single time. It was too cumbersome to use, and when it actually DID work, it was only a few of the handful times I used it overall. Bottom line is there are way too many crazy drivers out there to be worried about hitting you to have to wrestle with answering multiple questions on multiple screens etc just to get everything to hopefully work each drive that I gave up on it all and decided to go simple with the GX interior (I have a 21) and I saw the videos on the 22 interior system which seem to be similar functionality just different layout and not worth the extra wait to get.
The following 2 users liked this post by stilleni30:
catdaddylo (03-21-22), SEELEXUS (03-22-22)
Old 03-28-22 | 01:28 PM
SgnDen
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Bar Quesion

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
These are the BlackLine cross bars that extend past the roof rails. I put one on (without the end caps) to show you the fit.

Same bars for nearly half of the cost if getting them delivered with the truck as a dealer add-on.
Thanks for posting the cross bar pic. What do they cost, if you don't mind sharing?

More importantly, do you feel like that's the way to go vs buying an aftermarket setup (e.g. Yakima)? I won't use it a lot right now but next year probably put Kayaks up there. Is there anything special/unique about these cross bars?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-22 | 01:53 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SgnDen
Thanks for posting the cross bar pic. What do they cost, if you don't mind sharing?

More importantly, do you feel like that's the way to go vs buying an aftermarket setup (e.g. Yakima)? I won't use it a lot right now but next year probably put Kayaks up there. Is there anything special/unique about these cross bars?

Thanks!
No issues at all. $237.80+shipping. I bought them here: https://www.lexuspartsoutlet.com/oem...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

IMO these were reasonably priced and very beefy. Here is a better pic with them installed.

The following users liked this post:
Kisel17 (03-29-22)
Old 03-28-22 | 03:10 PM
SgnDen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bowhun2r. That seems like a good price for these. You'd pay twice that just to get the crossbar basics in Yakima. They look right with the vehicle too, of course.
Old 03-30-22 | 06:42 PM
cbroccoli
Rookie

Bought an IS 500 a couple months back and I really loved it but realized it just wasn’t working as a dad car. Decided to grab a GX. Hopefully this is it for a while lol.
The following 4 users liked this post by cbroccoli:
DSMinATL (04-01-22), jlficken (03-30-22), Kisel17 (03-31-22), nuclearn8 (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22 | 05:49 PM
ultraSLO
10th Gear

We just picked up my wife's new 2022 GX460 Luxury this week, and so far, we love it. Still getting used to the infotainment system and location of all the controls, but very glad we have the 2022 infotainment system over the previous gen system. In addition to CarPlay, it completely transforms and updates the look and feel of the interior in my opinion.

Also, one of our must-have items was the panoramic view monitor (360 cameras). Based on my experience with the older GX/4Runner/Tacoma 360 camera systems (and multiple YouTube videos), we were not expecting much of an improvement in the 2022 GX, if any.

However, we were both pleasantly surprised to discover the cameras (and infotainment screen) resolution are significantly better than expected. A couple YouTubers mentioned the cameras were very low resolution like the 4runner cameras, but that is definitely not the case. I'm guessing many of them were provided demo/pre-production "press vehicles" that had the older GX/4Runner cameras?

Last edited by ultraSLO; 04-01-22 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-03-22 | 07:29 AM
Skillet64
10th Gear

We picked up a ‘22 3 weeks ago yesterday, still under a 1000 miles. Towed a 20’ bay boat with it last Sunday and it has enough power and good brakes to pull it adequately. Short wheelbase does have a slightly choppy ride but still acceptable.
The updated info system is miles better than the previous year’s version but still lacking. Can’t understand why they don’t have a decent lane departure system vs just a warning, even my ‘18 accord has a decent LKA that works well. And having to use the touchpad to get to some functions is inconvenient.
But the wife loves it and if she’s happy, that’s fine with me!
PS The other vehicle we considered was the MDX, but was at the max tow rating for the boat and their info system was worse. And this is the 3rd Lexus and have had zero issues out of the first 2 in 19 years
Old 04-03-22 | 07:32 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skillet64
We picked up a ‘22 3 weeks ago yesterday, still under a 1000 miles. Towed a 20’ bay boat with it last Sunday and it has enough power and good brakes to pull it adequately. Short wheelbase does have a slightly choppy ride but still acceptable.
The updated info system is miles better than the previous year’s version but still lacking. Can’t understand why they don’t have a decent lane departure system vs just a warning, even my ‘18 accord has a decent LKA that works well. And having to use the touchpad to get to some functions is inconvenient.
But the wife loves it and if she’s happy, that’s fine with me!
PS The other vehicle we considered was the MDX, but was at the max tow rating for the boat and their info system was worse. And this is the 3rd Lexus and have had zero issues out of the first 2 in 19 years

You can’t put Lane Keeping Assist on a hydraulic power steering system which is what the GX has. Your Accord has a electric power steering system.

Quick Reply: 2022 GX Discussion - Black Line Edition in black and Nori Green Pearl/ AA CP 10.3"