Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 03:01 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
No, there's no such feature in the GX.
But you can get a wallet credit card key, programed it and not having to carry the keyfob around.
Called the dealership and they said the GX models doesn't have the credit card keys. So I guess is something I have to program on my own?
Old 12-10-19, 03:04 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

The wallet key from the hybrid cars works on the GX.

This thread has more info. You need to match the FCC ID

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...for-gx460.html

Originally Posted by eNx
Called the dealership and they said the GX models doesn't have the credit card keys. So I guess is something I have to program on my own?
Old 12-10-19, 03:15 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
The wallet key from the hybrid cars works on the GX.

This thread has more info. You need to match the FCC ID

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...for-gx460.html
Thanks!

I'll keep this in mind. I was hoping I was just missing something in the manual. Since the Subaru way didn't cost any extra. LOL
Old 12-10-19, 03:37 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

Besides this issue what are your thoughts with the 2020 GX and why did you choose this to replace the Outback?
Thanks.
Old 12-11-19, 09:26 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by eNx
I traded my '18 Outback for '20 GX 460. There's a feature in my Outback that was surprisingly useful to me. I setup my Outback that when I hit the button on the tailgate, in certain sequence, I can unlock my car without my key fob with me. Does our GX have this feature? I don't even know how to look it up in the manual.
so something like a Morse code sequence would open the car regardless of whether or not the fob was anywhere nearby? Interesting feature.
Old 12-11-19, 09:34 AM
eNx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JonGX
so something like a Morse code sequence would open the car regardless of whether or not the fob was anywhere nearby? Interesting feature.
Yeah...
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (12-11-19)
Old 12-11-19, 09:39 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

The Lexus App (and the soon to be "sunset" Lexus Enform Remote App) in your phone can unlock the car
without the fob or out of range of the fob. Complimentary for a year then $80/year. The fob can also remote
start the GX for the first year...with in '80.
Old 12-11-19, 09:40 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

This is pretty cool.

Originally Posted by eNx
Old 12-11-19, 10:01 AM
eNx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mcomer
The Lexus App (and the soon to be "sunset" Lexus Enform Remote App) in your phone can unlock the car
without the fob or out of range of the fob. Complimentary for a year then $80/year. The fob can also remote
start the GX for the first year...with in '80.
Yeah, I plan on keeping the Lexus app after the first year. It's pretty useful. I haven't try the key fob remote start I'll probably play with that. It was just cool that Subaru included a simple feature, that I didn't think I would use but had used it many times. And it's native to the car. No credit car keys, no phone required.
Old 12-11-19, 04:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Couple of cool Lexus touches to explore...press and hold the left steering wheel "Mode" button.
It mutes the radio or pauses a playback media such as CD or podcast.

Press speech and say "show weather forecast" or tap "Menu"/"Info"/"Weather" for the Weather Channel.
Weather and Traffic get info from listening to HD AM or FM stations.

Climate screen has a button to turn on the windshield wiper heaters.
Old 12-19-19, 04:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Similar to Ford Securicode which I believe you can also do with keyless ignition models

https://blog.consumerguide.com/what-is-ford-securicode/

Forgot that this option dates back to '80 Thunderbird

Old 05-05-20, 11:06 PM
ninja250
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
Having just used TechStream to program my two new fobs, the process requires holding the established (programed and working) key fob next to start button (read: touching the push button). It will then beep and a timer will start that will give you about 30 seconds to hold the new key (un-programed) key fob touching the start button until you hear another beep. Give TechStream about 15 seconds to do its magic (you'll see a loading bar on your computer screen) and then it's done.

So given the process described above, I don't think a key fob can be done remotely.
I just ordered an original key fob from Lexus - are those 'unlocked' so can be programmed at home with Techstream? I don't completely get the 'unlocked chip transmitter concept', are all the GX fobs unlocked, including the oem ones, or only stuff i get from ebay or amazon, but not the dealer?
Old 05-06-20, 06:16 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja250
I just ordered an original key fob from Lexus - are those 'unlocked' so can be programmed at home with Techstream? I don't completely get the 'unlocked chip transmitter concept', are all the GX fobs unlocked, including the oem ones, or only stuff i get from ebay or amazon, but not the dealer?
Lexus key fob, or any newer generation smart key is the two way transmitter, it requires the “pair” processing in order to be function properly. Key fob is considered “unlocked” meaning that you can always reprogram it to current car. It will “erase” previous “pair” information if it has been used for another car before. The key fob can only be paired to ONE car at time. For GX (or other Lexus models), you can “pair” total 5 key fobs. After you reached 5 total number of keys, you CAN NOT erase (or unpair) any individual key. You can only erase ALL the keys had been programmed (or paired) on GX with “unlock” code provided by Lexus. Then you have to re-program (pair) the key one at time all over again.
The following users liked this post:
ninja250 (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 06:25 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Depends on how comfortable and secure minds individual may have, for anyone purchased pre-owned GX, it will always be the idea to check how many keys that have been programmed (paired) with your GX. If you have physically lesser keys than it has been listed in Techstream, that means there is one (or more) key(s) out there that will open and operate your GX. The idea way to fully secure your GX is to ERASE (unpair) all the keys on GX, then re-program (pair) the keys that you physically have on hand.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
GoHuskers (05-06-20), ninja250 (05-06-20)
Old 05-10-20, 07:26 PM
ninja250
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Depends on how comfortable and secure minds individual may have, for anyone purchased pre-owned GX, it will always be the idea to check how many keys that have been programmed (paired) with your GX. If you have physically lesser keys than it has been listed in Techstream, that means there is one (or more) key(s) out there that will open and operate your GX. The idea way to fully secure your GX is to ERASE (unpair) all the keys on GX, then re-program (pair) the keys that you physically have on hand.
Thanks for the explanations - I have added the new key without any issue - the OEM key from the dealer worked very well - actually I was really surprised how easy it was. I may attach a writeup how to do this, as the menus in the Techstream ver 13.x.x.x seem to be slightly changed from most of the tutorials on the web.
One quick question - there is an option to remove all keys but one, is this safe to use ? I don't want to get into a situation where I disable all of the keys.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions