GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 08:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja250
Thanks for the explanations - I have added the new key without any issue - the OEM key from the dealer worked very well - actually I was really surprised how easy it was. I may attach a writeup how to do this, as the menus in the Techstream ver 13.x.x.x seem to be slightly changed from most of the tutorials on the web.
One quick question - there is an option to remove all keys but one, is this safe to use ? I don't want to get into a situation where I disable all of the keys.
You can not just erase a specific key. You MUST erase all the keys for security reason. In order to perform the ERASE function, you will need to obtain the Toyota secure code for ERASE which you can purchase from Toyota.
Old 08-31-20, 06:50 AM
LinSar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a beep/alarm when key fob is left in car?

I have a 2020 GX 460 and am wondering if there an alarm/beep/feedback setting for when the key fob is left inside the car? My previous car (2015 suburban) would honk at me as soon as the door shut after exiting and the key was left inside the car. I have searched through the settings and this site, but can't find an answer either way. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-20, 06:54 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by LinSar
I have a 2020 GX 460 and am wondering if there an alarm/beep/feedback setting for when the key fob is left inside the car? My previous car (2015 suburban) would honk at me as soon as the door shut after exiting and the key was left inside the car. I have searched through the settings and this site, but can't find an answer either way. Any tips would be appreciated.
it won’t beep when you close the door, but you won’t be able to lock the GX, if you attempt to lock and there is a key fob in the GX, you will hear a long beep.
Old 08-31-20, 07:21 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Also, if you leave it running and leave with the fob it will chirp repeatedly...not as attention getting as a horn honk however.
Old 07-24-21, 12:30 PM
lawdot74
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Long time listener, first time caller... I did search but did not find the answer to this issue. Forgive me if I missed it.

My wife drives a 2011 GX. She recently had a hard time starting the car followed by a dead battery the next morning. Sure enough the battery voltage read 8 volts. The battery was four years old so I just replaced it without trying to revive it, especially after getting so low. It turns out she also had issues locking and unlocking the car with the key fob during the day she first had issues.

The new battery starts the car fine. My Ctec battery charger and tester gives me green (good) for battery resting voltage, start power and alternator power. Further testing reveals 14v at the battery with the engine running suggesting no alternator problem.

Since battery replacement and presumably prior to the dead battery issue key fobs will not lock, unlock or trigger the panic alarm. Both have batteries with greater than 3v. Both illuminate the light when a button is pushed. Both will start the car without being held near the push button. No idiot light, warning or other evidence of an issue before, during and after starting the car. No "key not detected" warning.

At present the door chimes incessantly while the door is open regardless where the two key fobs are located. I am honestly not sure if that was always the case, as it is not my primary vehicle. When you close the door with the car off another chime sounds once. This is the same noise the car makes when you close a door with key fob on your person while the car is running. It sounds once rather than the two or three chimes it produces while the engine is running. Doors lock and unlock normally with button on door.

I suspect the battery issue is due to a parasitic drain with the car "off". I have not tested this with a multimeter yet as that requires two sets of hands.

In summary:
car does not respond to either key fob when outside the vehicle
key fob batteries are 3v or greater
car starts without issue with key fob inside the vehicle
car does not require the key fob to be adjacent to push button
chimes may be functioning abnormally
probable parasitic drain with car off.

any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you

Old 07-28-21, 08:59 AM
lawdot74
Driver School Candidate

We continued to drive the car. Locking the door manually. After a couple days the key fobs are now recognized normally outside the car. Everything appears to be back to normal. SO I guess we wait for it to happen again. I'm assuming there is a failing electrical component like an antenna...
Old 07-28-21, 09:26 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Check the main battery too. Sometimes when it’s low, weird stuffs happen with electronics. When mine was low, the fob range and sensitivity dropped significantly.
Old 07-28-21, 09:30 AM
lawdot74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Check the main battery too. Sometimes when it’s low, weird stuffs happen with electronics. When mine was low, the fob range and sensitivity dropped significantly.
Thanks for the reply. First thing I did was replace the battery and top it off with a smart charger. The problem persisted for a few days with regular driving after swapping out the car battery.
Old 06-01-22, 06:01 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Key FOB issue

2022 GX460.
I added the OBDII mirror closing adapter - all worked normal after this/
I rarely use the key fob and use the touch controls on the doors.

Tonight I decided to use the FOB and the car was unresponsive to the buttons (also with my wife's fob). I press a button the red LED on the FOB blinks and that's all.
The car responds to the door handle controls, the app works, and the car starts.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I'm thinking there are 2 possibilities:
1- Could I have accidentally change a setting in the locking section of SETTINGS menu?
2- The OBD II device is going bad

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-22, 06:40 PM
hzhao
Racer

Did you try to disconnect the OBD-II module and try the key fob again?
Old 06-01-22, 06:49 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by hzhao
Did you try to disconnect the OBD-II module and try the key fob again?
That is on my schedule for tomorrow.
I did replace the battery but that made no difference
Old 06-01-22, 08:30 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

The sideview mirror auto-folding dongle/module for the 2022 is the one that's installed inside the steering wheel column shroud. The ODBII one is for older model years. If you look at the Amazon link below, you'll notice there are two different ones --2018 and older vs. 2019+. I wonder if that's the reason why you're having problems.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-02-22, 04:22 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seanzky
The sideview mirror auto-folding dongle/module for the 2022 is the one that's installed inside the steering wheel column shroud. The ODBII one is for older model years. If you look at the Amazon link below, you'll notice there are two different ones --2018 and older vs. 2019+. I wonder if that's the reason why you're having problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Window-Closer...dp/B0915M9C2L/
My apologies.
I did use the proper module that plugs into the steering column. I said OBDII because they look the same.
I'll be pulling the shroud today and checking the module
Old 06-02-22, 05:01 PM
EJC
Instructor

I pulled the side view mirror module. The buttons on the key still no response.
Set to check it out up with dealer
Old 06-02-22, 05:46 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
I pulled the side view mirror module. The buttons on the key still no response.
Set to check it out up with dealer
Make sure you remove the module before the service visit!

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions