GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 06:09 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Make sure you remove the module before the service visit!
Thanks for the reminder.
But, as I said it is out and will stay out until the dealer checks the car.
Werird, everything else works except the buttons
Old 06-02-22, 07:55 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

There's nothing else you've put in your GX that can affect this? That's so strange that neither fobs work while clearly having fresh batteries...
Old 06-02-22, 08:12 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seanzky
There's nothing else you've put in your GX that can affect this? That's so strange that neither fobs work while clearly having fresh batteries...
That was the only plug-in device
Old 06-23-22, 05:12 AM
EJC
Instructor

Default Key FOB - weird issue

I've had my '22 GX for ~2 months now. Love the car and so far solid with no real issues.

After about 6 weeks the buttons on my 2 key fobs stopped working.
The touch controls worked and there was no issue starting the car.
Shortly after getting the car, I installed the Mirror Folding Module. All worked well - the module worked as advertised, key fob buttons worked fine

About 6 weeks from delivery the key fob buttons stopped working on both FOBS!
I removed the Mirro module - still would not work.
I disconnected the battery to allow the system to reset - no change

I took it in to the dealer and they had to put it on their tablet programmer and discovered that the MENU ITEM FOR THE KEY FOB BUTTONS had been turned off!
I have sent an email to the mirror device manufacturer to see if the device overwrites any menu items - waiting for a response.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Old 06-23-22, 06:49 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes, there's another thread you started, which you should have posted this one in.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...fob-issue.html

Last edited by Seanzky; 06-23-22 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-25-22, 12:52 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 2022 GX Key Fob Remote Start

When I try to use my key fob for remote starting I am having erratic problems. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I am right behind the GX no more than a couple of feet and I make sure the doors are locked. I push the Lock button twice and then a third time and hold the button down. As stated above it may start or nothing. Every time I push lock I see the flashers light up. When I use my Lexus App it starts every time. Am I not holding my lips right? Is it a cadence issue? No big deal but would like to have my truck cooled down when I throw my golf clubs in the back and return golf cart and walk back to a cool environment. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-22, 01:39 PM
nyctfl
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wondering, have you gone into vehicle settings? Is it possible that there is a selection for remote start start from the key fob?
Old 06-25-22, 04:50 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nyctfl
Wondering, have you gone into vehicle settings? Is it possible that there is a selection for remote start start from the key fob?
I can start the GX with the key fob but it may take me trying 4 or 5 times. When it does start on the 3'rd press and I hold the button down, it starts after a couple of seconds. When it doesn't start I hold the button down for what seems like 10 or 15 seconds and nothing. I wonder if there is a time limit that you have to hold the button down?
Old 06-25-22, 05:24 PM
nyctfl
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I can start the GX with the key fob but it may take me trying 4 or 5 times. When it does start on the 3'rd press and I hold the button down, it starts after a couple of seconds. When it doesn't start I hold the button down for what seems like 10 or 15 seconds and nothing. I wonder if there is a time limit that you have to hold the button down?
My 2012 GX does not have remote start but I did have it on my 2021 Infiniti Q50S. What you described as to when yours does start is what I would experience on the Infiniti - a 2-one-thousand count at most. I would not think it's a time-out issue but rather a communication issue with whichever module is responsible for the remote start function. The transmitter and receiver are obviously communicating if the main key fob function (lock/unlock) works every time. Good luck, man.
Old 06-25-22, 07:19 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nyctfl
My 2012 GX does not have remote start but I did have it on my 2021 Infiniti Q50S. What you described as to when yours does start is what I would experience on the Infiniti - a 2-one-thousand count at most. I would not think it's a time-out issue but rather a communication issue with whichever module is responsible for the remote start function. The transmitter and receiver are obviously communicating if the main key fob function (lock/unlock) works every time. Good luck, man.
This is not a big deal but just hate having to try the key fob multiple times. I can use the remote start on my phone with the Lexus App. I just don't like the idea of looking like a fool pushing the Lock button 3 times and not getting results.
Old 06-25-22, 07:57 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

While it sucks that the remote start through th le fob is flaky I’ve never found it to be useful on Toyota vehicles since you can’t stop them from shutting off when you open the door.

It’s also stupid that you can’t lock the doors if you have the vehicle running.
The following users liked this post:
catdaddylo (06-26-22)
Old 06-27-22, 06:02 AM
LastV8
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
While it sucks that the remote start through th le fob is flaky I’ve never found it to be useful on Toyota vehicles since you can’t stop them from shutting off when you open the door.

It’s also stupid that you can’t lock the doors if you have the vehicle running.
hate this also, my Jeep Wrangler has remote start button on the key fob, when I grab the door handle, the doors unlocks, engine stills run, get into the driver seat, it will ask u to push The start button on the dash . That’s it, drive off. Y can’t Toyota do this? Of course I called and talked to the technology expert. He says it’s for your “safety “
Old 06-27-22, 07:40 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Fob Remote Start is "short distance < '80 and short time < 5 seconds to start.
Phone App RS is "long distance - anywhere with cell service and long time > 15 seconds.
The fob cadence is a bit fussy, would not want to be fiddling is your purse or pocket and RS, right?
Press/release/Press/release/Press and hold till you see the markers flash independently.
Three ways to shut off the Remote Started car: 1) wait 10 minutes, 2) Press and hold the fob lock button long.
3) Open a door. Note: the new Interface setup on the new 2022 NX's and 2022 LX's do Not shut off when the door opens!
Coming soon to each model as they phase into the new Interface generation. (about time...)
The following users liked this post:
catdaddylo (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 11:54 AM
xf30ul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob Proximity Sensor Inside Cabin

I've developed a bizarre issue with my 2010 GX. Typically, when you exit the vehicle with the keys, while the car is running, and close any door, the car will beep...telling you that the key has been removed from a running vehicle. Likewise, if you manually lock all the doors while leaving your key inside, it will automatically unlock when you shut the last door and beep. On my GX, this behavior works as expected.....except for the driver side door. I can leave the vehicle with the key, close the driver side door, nothing beeps. I can manually lock all the doors in the GX, leave the key fob inside, and close the driver side door.....my keys are now locked inside the car. I'm guessing there's a proximity sensor somewhere around the driver side that detects the key fob? If so, does anyone know where it is?

Other info: Yes the running boards light up when I stand next to the driver side door. Yes, I can unlock and lock the car using the driver side door handle. Yes, I can start the car just fine without having to tap the start button.
Old 06-27-22, 12:08 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xf30ul
I've developed a bizarre issue with my 2010 GX. Typically, when you exit the vehicle with the keys, while the car is running, and close any door, the car will beep...telling you that the key has been removed from a running vehicle. Likewise, if you manually lock all the doors while leaving your key inside, it will automatically unlock when you shut the last door and beep. On my GX, this behavior works as expected.....except for the driver side door. I can leave the vehicle with the key, close the driver side door, nothing beeps. I can manually lock all the doors in the GX, leave the key fob inside, and close the driver side door.....my keys are now locked inside the car. I'm guessing there's a proximity sensor somewhere around the driver side that detects the key fob? If so, does anyone know where it is?

Other info: Yes the running boards light up when I stand next to the driver side door. Yes, I can unlock and lock the car using the driver side door handle. Yes, I can start the car just fine without having to tap the start button.
When was the last time the battery was changed in the key fob? If it has been a while I would put in a new battery and see if that fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions