GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 12:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

I started out with one that cost around $25 and it was problematic... vendor may not know firmware but if it supports both K-Line and CAN-BUS it most likely has 2.0.4... early versions lack the older K-Line and for some reason it was needed for live data viewing. You will know pretty quickly if you get a communication error trying to read live engine data. If that occurs it isn't a 2.0.4 cable.

Unfortunately... it is kind of hit and miss on getting the right cable.

Looking back through my notes you will click on LIVE DATA... and a fatal error will occur with hex code----> 0xC0040001

Make sure one you buy has a good return policy in case it doesn't do what you need to do. If you don't need live data then a 1.x cable is probably fine for most people.

Last edited by Acrad; 09-10-17 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 01:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I have a dumb question and may have been answered somewhere on this form, where to get TIS Techstream software and how much it is cost? I would assume all the discussion here is associated using Techstream software and it should support the cable without additional drive for windows OS, correct?
Old 10-16-17, 06:37 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Short battery life in Keyfob?

This could probably go in multiple model forums, but I have a 2015 GX, so here it goes....

Since buying my 2015 CPO Lux 6 months ago, I’ve gone through 4 (maybe 5) batteries in the keyfobs (I have 2), plus the initial ones I changed out.
Anyone have any ideas why? I buy the freshest Duracells/Energizers at the store, and I put fresh ones in as soon as I bought the car.

I’m stumped...
Oh, I wear looser slacks and shorts, (not tight jeans), so I don’t think the buttons get pressed all day... I already thought about that...
Old 10-16-17, 08:53 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

2015 would be under original factory warranty did you talk to the Lexus SA yet. I would be doing that when your next service is due. I’m an active member at several forums GS,ES,IS and obviously GX (Own all these cars lol) and this is not a common issue.

Last edited by Dallasguy1; 10-16-17 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (10-19-17)
Old 10-16-17, 09:48 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Absolutely, it’s on my list of items to go over with them... Just checking to see if it’s common or not.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 10-17-17, 01:52 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you buy new batteries each time? Same store? Both fobs? First thought was you bought a bad batch of batteries but sounds like you've tried different ones.

How close do you keep the fobs to the car? I don't think that should matter though...

Are you sure they're going dead? What is your motivation to swap batteries each time? Fob stops working?
Old 10-17-17, 02:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

do you keep your keys near your cell phone, or in the same pocket?

Lexus has stated that the Bluetooth radios in some phones cause the key stay active thus killing the battery. I experienced this with my RCF credit card key as I had it in the back of my iPhone case, and the battery would die in a month or less. The dealership showed me a memo from Lexus stating that keeping the keys in the same pocket, or within 6" of certain phones would result in the key staying active and not going into standby.

This also occurs if the key is kept too close to the car, like on a key hook in your garage. Or like some people in the car.

-----

Since moving my fob to my wallet away from my phone, and moving my key hook from the garage to the kitchen, my fob battery has lasted 14 months.. Originally I started by just moving the key hook, but was still having the issue.. moving it away from my cell phone completely resolved the problem.

and FYI, most dealers will give you free batteries, at least the ones around here do. Toyota and Lexus.
User21c (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 02:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Still on stock batteries that came with mine. I wonder if nearby electronics are somehow keeping the FOB awake at some locations? You could try putting in a EMF sleeve to rule that out.
Old 10-17-17, 07:15 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

How do I know the batteries are dead? The car tells me so, when it won’t start, and says the battery is toast.
The led stops working when I press the buttons, or becomes very intermittent. Solved by replacement.
Yup, I’ve sourced batteries from different places.

Seriously, the other suggestions make some sense...
My phones is in a holster all day on my right hip, while my fob is in my right pocket. (Approx. 10” apart)

I’ll start keeping my fob in my left pocket, and see how many months I get out of it.

I love this forum - thanks everyone!
Old 10-18-17, 07:32 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

My battery lasted about 3 3/4 years before I received a message. Not normal, sounds like stale batteries,
Old 10-18-17, 07:52 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Craig B
My battery lasted about 3 3/4 years before I received a message. Not normal, sounds like stale batteries,
Naw, if you read the posts, you’d see I got batteries at the dealer, and multiple other reliable sources.
The issue is likely proximity to a cellphone, keeping the fob in an active state, as seen in the Lexus memo.
The batteries were all ‘good until 2022+’ .... not stale.
Old 10-18-17, 08:21 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by User21c
Absolutely, it’s on my list of items to go over with them... Just checking to see if it’s common or not.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Sure used genuine brand name replacement? There are fake batteries of many kinds. If you bought the batteries on eBay, make sure the seller has good reputation.
Old 10-18-17, 10:19 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Again, the batteries came from a number of reliable sources, including the dealer.
Not eBay... no one buys batteries on eBay... (that I know of...)

See posts 5 and 7.
Old 10-18-17, 10:50 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by User21c
Not eBay... no one buys batteries on eBay... (that I know of...)

See posts 5 and 7.
LOL...I bought batteries from eBay . I replaced my GX key fob batteries with the Panasonic I got from eBay about 4 months ago and it's still going strong. I oftenly keep my keys in the same pocket as my Iphone 7 plus as well and sometimes in my wife's purse with her Iphone. I don't think interences would drain it that fast.
Old 10-19-17, 06:16 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mjeds
do you keep your keys near your cell phone, or in the same pocket?

Lexus has stated that the Bluetooth radios in some phones cause the key stay active thus killing the battery. I experienced this with my RCF credit card key as I had it in the back of my iPhone case, and the battery would die in a month or less. The dealership showed me a memo from Lexus stating that keeping the keys in the same pocket, or within 6" of certain phones would result in the key staying active and not going into standby.

This also occurs if the key is kept too close to the car, like on a key hook in your garage. Or like some people in the car.

-----

Since moving my fob to my wallet away from my phone, and moving my key hook from the garage to the kitchen, my fob battery has lasted 14 months.. Originally I started by just moving the key hook, but was still having the issue.. moving it away from my cell phone completely resolved the problem.
Not a battery quality issue.... see post #5 (quoted above)
GB2011GX (10-19-17)

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions