GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 02:46 PM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll paypal you $20 to ship it to me depending on the FCCID. I only have 1.
Old 10-25-18, 04:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

OP: You could program the key to work with your vehicle using Techstream
Old 10-25-18, 04:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 890 Likes on 617 Posts

Lexus key fobs are generic for any Lexus model? No pic of the fob...
Old 10-26-18, 07:48 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

depends on the FCCID.
Old 10-26-18, 08:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Good point... I was thinking it was a 460 FOB
Old 10-26-18, 08:46 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

where did you find it? If you found it in a grocery store parking lot for instance, I would give it to the grocery store customer service desk, in the event the owner returns to claim it. Though after 4 days, they may have already done that, not likely to do it again.
Old 10-26-18, 09:53 PM
GX4TATI
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Found it on top of mailboxes in a shopping center on my route (I’m a mail carrier). Someone must have put it on top of the mailbox while getting their mail. But how the heck did they drive off without it?!!! I drove around pushing the panic button with no luck. Ended up taping a note on mailboxes about a key found and left it at work in our “lost and found” pile (a lot of keys there already...)Thanks for your help guys. I tried...
Old 10-27-18, 08:48 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4TATI
Found it on top of mailboxes in a shopping center on my route (I’m a mail carrier). Someone must have put it on top of the mailbox while getting their mail. But how the heck did they drive off without it?!!! I drove around pushing the panic button with no luck. Ended up taping a note on mailboxes about a key found and left it at work in our “lost and found” pile (a lot of keys there already...)Thanks for your help guys. I tried...
You can drive off without it, car will make beeping sounds or they didn't drive their lexus that day. Was the fob on its own? Realize its a moot point now but my nephew managed to lose my fob while driving my car a few years ago....i asked him why he didn't notice the beeping..
Old 10-28-18, 05:51 AM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

is it possible to reprogram a non-virgin key?
Old 01-15-19, 11:09 AM
glemmen1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i wonder if this could also happen by storing the fob near a wireless router? i seem to be replacing my fob battery about every 6 months, and i store my key when i get home, in a drawer by my wireless home router......
Old 01-15-19, 12:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by glemmen1
i wonder if this could also happen by storing the fob near a wireless router? i seem to be replacing my fob battery about every 6 months, and i store my key when i get home, in a drawer by my wireless home router......
Router nad fob use way different frequency. If your fob is within the range of your car battery
won't last long. To test. try to unlock the car with fob, if it does your fob is within range. Do you
have smart key?
Old 01-15-19, 02:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

You could try a faraday bag

Amazon Amazon

Pings stop on Wifi and full strength cell signals won't ring the phone.
Old 03-19-19, 09:25 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Lost (GX) key fob away from home DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU

I consider this an important message to all GX owners (along with any other vehicles with similar keys)
Okay, it finally happened. first time I've ever lost my keys (key fob included).
My wife and I were celebrating our 34 year anniversary along with her birthday at Disneyland all day, had a great day, getting late and ready to go home.
Walk through the massive parking structure to my rig, pull on the door handle... Nothing happens. Pull again, still nothing. WHAT??? (BTY, it was not somebody else's GX I was trying to open, which I know has happened to others, trying to open the wrong vehicle, my rig is very unique)
I check my key ring on my belt loop and sure enough my Lexus GX 460 (I think 460 represents the price of a new key fob) key fob was missing!!! I had my house key on my key ring (small carabiner) but no fob. Called Disneyland security and lost & found... Nothing.
Had to call my daughter and have her drive 40 miles (each way) to get me my extra key fob.

So... Lessons learned:
  • REALLY glad I had the presence of mind to get a second key fob when I purchased my vehicle (it only came with one)
  • REALLY need to have some method of having a second physical key hidden external on the vehicle and a key fob in a Faraday/RFID blocking pouch in the vehicle for after I unlock the door.
  • Or keep a key fob in a Faraday/RFID blocking pouch hidden externally on the vehicle.
I called the Lexus 24 hour help(less) line and they just told me I'd have to tow the vehicle to the nearest Lexus dealer and have a new key made the next day.

It made me think of what this would cost if it happened while traveling out of town! An extra night's lodging, and who knows which Lexus dealer and how far we'd be if I were to lose a key fob in the middle of nowhere? Then losing a day of vacation/travel and that's assuming it was lost on a weekday! If it was a weekend, then one is looking a several nights lodging. Towing costs, lodging costs, extra meals, it would turn into a real life Griswold Vacation!!
Old 03-19-19, 09:35 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

does the Smart Card work with your model?

if it does, get one put in wallet, done deal:

Old 03-19-19, 09:57 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I usually bring 2 keys with me whenever I'm away from home on long trips with my minivan. I keep one in my wife's purse.
You can also get one of the minimag hide a key box, remove the battery from the remote and put it in there and hide it under the car when doing trips.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions