GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Key Fob - Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 10:02 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

My solution:
Okay, I now have my backup in case I ever lose my key fob again.
Installed TechStream. I need tech help, the directions are not straight forward, but since tech support is in China. I emailed them around 1600 (4pm) my time, their day is just starting over there. I received an immediate reply within 2 or 3 minutes. Within 5 minutes he was remotely on my machine and finished the installation in about another 5 minutes.
Below is everything I purchased on Amazon and below the pic is the price breakdown.

Techstream cable and CD software: $60.99
Lexus four button Smart Key, quantity two (2): $80.00 x 2 = $160.00
Cut the physical key fob keys, quantity two (2): $50.00 x 2 = $100.00
RFID/Faraday pouch for key fobs, two (2) pack: $13.97
Black (with red symbols) silicone rubber full key fob covers, quanitity two (2): $9.99 x 2 = $19.98
Total for everything: $354.94
Just to have the dealer do one key: about $450.00
All that's left is to hide a physical key on the exterior somewhere and keep a key fob in one of the Faraday pouches in the car somewhere, and call it DONE!
Old 03-19-19, 10:19 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

All that's left is to hide a physical key on the exterior somewhere and keep a key fob in one of the Faraday pouches in the car somewhere, and call it DONE!
does your GX have a hitch?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HitchSafe-2...-/390724690120

The following 3 users liked this post by mjeds:
bbqsoup (03-19-19), hzhao (03-19-19), MP692 (03-27-19)
Old 03-19-19, 10:25 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mjeds
Great idea! Yes I have a hitch, but I have a shackle on it for recovery. I did find a good location for it, just have to make sure I don't forget where it is I put it if I should ever need it!
Old 03-19-19, 10:51 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m

Installed TechStream. I need tech help, the directions are not straight forward, but since tech support is in China. I emailed them around 1600 (4pm) my time, their day is just starting over there. I received an immediate reply within 2 or 3 minutes. Within 5 minutes he was remotely on my machine and finished the installation in about another 5 minutes.
Wait, you let someone have remote access to your computer from China? I hope it was a bare computer with nothing on it and that you've disabled any and all network functions now. The software they send (from China) is full of all kinds of nasty stuff.
Old 03-19-19, 10:55 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

It's an old computer and everything's backed up off-line on an external hard drive, no passwords, etc. The company also has over 100 Amazon "Verified Purchase" reviews of 4's and 5's. I believe the guy is legit.
Old 03-19-19, 11:23 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
My solution:
Below is everything I purchased on Amazon and below the pic is the price breakdown.

Black (with red symbols) silicone rubber full key fob covers, quanitity two (2): $9.99 x 2 = $19.98
What I used to do was take the smart key and remove the battery, that way you can't accidentally open the doors. Then I hide it in one of the compartments in the trunk area. The car will still start without the battery, you just need to put the smart key next to the ignition button. Or if you really want to use the fob to its full potential, put the smart key and the battery in a little baggie then hide it. The physical key is hidden somewhere in the exterior of the car, but also in a place that is easily accessible so that I can check on it from time to time without having to spend a long time taking things apart.

Old 03-19-19, 11:41 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Thanks for the heads-up about the key fob not needing the battery to start the car! I wasn't aware that the transponder to start the car was NOT powered by a battery and could start the vehicle sans battery.
As one can see though, everything has already been purchased. The RIFD/Faraday pouches are for isolating the key fob so I don't have to remove the battery.
Old 03-20-19, 06:06 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I usually bring 2 keys with me whenever I'm away from home on long trips with my minivan. I keep one in my wife's purse.
This is our solution also. Simple and cheap.
Old 03-20-19, 06:30 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I programmed my LS460 keys, if you have tech stream and cable its very simple to do; I even posted a link in the 460 forums along with directions, - I picked up unlocked keys off eBay but had to make sure the FCC code back is the same.

Originally Posted by r2m
My solution:

Old 03-20-19, 08:04 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LFIL
This is our solution also. Simple and cheap.
Hmm. With all due respect and I don't mean to be devil's advocate, but what if you wife isn't with you?
Yea, you lock your key in the car or lose it in town running errands by yourself and your wife just takes a little time out of her day to deliver you the backup key.
Now, what if your wife is out of town, no kids at home or you're on a road trip by yourself or with buddies (or mistress, I hope not!!!) and you lose your key fob?
Now that's a sticky wicket...
Old 03-20-19, 11:11 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
.....you're on a road trip ..... with ..... mistress .....
LOL! That's a good one for the day I guess you always have the option to ask for delivering the other key along with the divorcing papers
The following users liked this post:
UZ214 (03-20-19)
Old 03-21-19, 05:59 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
Hmm. With all due respect and I don't mean to be devil's advocate, but what if you wife isn't with you?
Yea, you lock your key in the car or lose it in town running errands by yourself and your wife just takes a little time out of her day to deliver you the backup key.
Now, what if your wife is out of town, no kids at home or you're on a road trip by yourself or with buddies (or mistress, I hope not!!!) and you lose your key fob?
Haha, I don't get my wicket sticky with anyone else. If away, it goes into a backpack that I carry or leave in the room. If she isn't home, there is always someone who could deliver it locally.
Old 03-21-19, 07:22 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=r2m;10470377]I consider this an important message to all GX owners (along with any other vehicles with similar keys)
Okay, it finally happened. first time I've ever lost my keys (key fob included).
My wife and I were celebrating our 34 year anniversary along with her birthday at Disneyland all day, had a great day, getting late and ready to go home.
Walk through the massive parking structure to my rig, pull on the door handle... Nothing happens. Pull again, still nothing. WHAT??? (BTY, it was not somebody else's GX I was trying to open, which I know has happened to others, trying to open the wrong vehicle, my rig is very unique)
I check my key ring on my belt loop and sure enough my Lexus GX 460 (I think 460 represents the price of a new key fob) key fob was missing!!! I had my house key on my key ring (small carabiner) but no fob. Called Disneyland security and lost & found... Nothing.
Had to call my daughter and have her drive 40 miles (each way) to get me my extra key fob.

So... Lessons learned:
  • REALLY glad I had the presence of mind to get a second key fob when I purchased my vehicle (it only came with one)
  • REALLY need to have some method of having a second physical key hidden external on the vehicle and a key fob in a Faraday/RFID blocking pouch in the vehicle for after I unlock the door.
  • Or keep a key fob in a Faraday/RFID blocking pouch hidden externally on the vehicle.
I called the Lexus 24 hour help(less) line and they just told me I'd have to tow the vehicle to the nearest Lexus dealer and have a new key made the next day.

It made me think of what this would cost if it happened while traveling out of town! An extra night's lodging, and who knows which Lexus dealer and how far we'd be if I were to lose a key fob in the middle of nowhere? Then losing a day of vacation/travel and that's assuming it was lost on a weekday! If it was a weekend, then one is looking a several nights lodging. Towing costs, lodging costs, extra meals, it would turn into a real life Griswold Vacation!![/QUOTE

Did you buy used? my new GX has two keys? This is why I hate keyless ignitions, but my wife's RDX and my K1600GT are also keyless

Old 03-21-19, 08:45 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

I purchased the keys, new, on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVPQG5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVPQG5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had to purchase TechStream also so I could program them. TechStream is ONLY a Toyota/Lexus/Scion diagnostics software. Not sure and you'll have to research this, but you may need to go to a dealer to program your other vehicles keys if there's no software out there for your vehicles.

Last edited by r2m; 03-21-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 07:21 PM
Zahid
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a way to make copies of the physical key from hardware stores? That way, you could keep a flat physical key to your wallet and hide the entire actual fob inside your car in RFID pouch.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Problems & Questions