GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2011 gx460 trac/abs/lo lights troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 07:43 AM
firstnlast
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb 2011 gx460 trac/abs/lo lights troubleshooting

I have a 2011 GX460 90k miles, that has the typical trac/abs/lo lights on. I've been working on it for awhile and my only code I get is the c1403. Here is what I have done so far:

I have replaced the sensor, while changing out I noticed the grease that was on it, was black and burnt smelling like very old Lube. I looked in and everything was black and hard to see, but I put the new sensor in, cleared the code and I soon as I got up to about 5-10 Mph the lights all came back on again.

The weather changed and it was a few months before I got another chance to get back in there and check it out. All the cable lines look perfect and intact. Looked at both connections and they were perfectly clean. This time I pulled the sensor back out to take a closer look and again the new sensor was covered in black lube, with a strong burnt/used smell. I got some q-tips and cleaned out everything in the hole that I could get to and this is what I saw

passenger rear speed sensor port
Inside the hole I could see a ring that wasn't sturdy in there, I pried it a little with a screwdriver and it moves around a bit, I used very little effort to move it not wanting to damage anything. I can't find any diagram on line with how the magnetic ring should line up with the speed sensor, but I could see the sensor must measure on the side and not at the tip. Just to get an idea of what I was dealing with I put everything back and looked at the driver's side speed sensor, and when I removed that sensor the grease was off-white and clean and there was no metal piece going around the axle in the middle of the hole.

Since there is no code from the left side I have to assume that the right side with the stinky grease and a metal ring that goes around the drive shaft must of broken loose and is probably scraping causing high heat, burning of the grease, and causing the error code of C1403...

So my question to the community is how do I replace the ring if I cant figure out what part it came from? My wild guess is it is part of the hub/bearing assembly and it broke loose from it, but I can't tell from the pictures of new hub and bearing assemblies online. Thanks in advance to the community for all they do to help us DIYer's...

Last edited by firstnlast; 08-07-21 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 07:07 AM
firstnlast
Driver School Candidate

So I've scoured what I can find on this matter and i can't figure out what that metal ring could be. It must be either a seal that broke loose or the bearing itself has failed. I can't find any videos of someone taking that rear hub and bearing off so I can see what it looks like before I tackle the job myself. Any know of any videos for a GX460 2011 or similar that I can use as a reference. I'd jump in there in take a look, but a failed bearing may come completely apart when removing, and I'd be forced to pay whatever local car parts store is charging for it, and no one local sells the bearing and hub assemble, just the bearings. Thanks again to any that can help me...
Old 07-29-21, 08:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Isn't that the gear for the rear parking brake shoe adjustment?

The following users liked this post:
DrumsNstuff (06-24-24)
Old 07-29-21, 08:58 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

DrumsNstuff (06-24-24)
Old 07-29-21, 09:15 AM
firstnlast
Driver School Candidate

The metal ring that is in the picture, not very clear, is wrapped around the entire axle. It spins as I spin the wheel/axle. I don't believe it is part of the emergency braking system. but thanks for the response. I believe the adjustment ring is visible when you remove the rotor.
Old 07-29-21, 09:41 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Would it be possible to take another picture a little further out as well? Just trying to get my bearing at where exactly & orientation I am looking at

Thanks!
Old 07-29-21, 09:52 AM
firstnlast
Driver School Candidate

This is a picture up close from O'reilly's website. I did a close up of this and it looks like what I'm seeing in my speed sensor port hole(picture in first post) is probably that black ring that goes around the bearing may have come loose. It looks like the entire right side axle may have to come out to get the bearing assembly off which is why it is hard to find an assembly unit. I will have to take this to a shop that can press it off and the new one back on. Anyone else have already done this before to give me any pointers?
Old 07-29-21, 10:09 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

A few have replaced wheel bearings in this thread..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...placement.html
Old 08-05-21, 08:30 AM
firstnlast
Driver School Candidate

Just an update on what I've found out and what I'm about to do:
The ring in the picture is most likely a bearing that has gone bad and the ABS sensor ring has broken/come loose. I have ordered new bearings, the reason I couldn't find a bearing assembly with a hub is because the entire side axle has to come out to get it off. The bearing is pressed on the axle not the hub assembly. Not paying the $350 for a complete side axle, I found a machine shop that will pull old and press my new bearing for only $50 each side.
While I'm in there I'm going to go ahead and do a complete brake job on it including new rotors, ceramic pads, and emergency brakes shoes. So just for the hell of it I'm going to go ahead and do the opposite side wheel bearing also.
Here is my order from rockauto.com. I was going to use CarId.com because of there military discount, but even with that and getting almost all identical items their discount was negated with their huge shipping charges.

I bought products on the cheaper side, but I'm very easy on my vehicles. With the bearing press at the machine shop, my total for everything will be $363. Parts are expected today, hopefully early. I'd like to do today, since it will be cooler today then the next two weeks. I"m thinking I may need to get new cotter pins or axle nut, depending on how they look. Not sure if there is anything I'm missing before jumping into this. Any one have any last pointers? I'll try to get a few pictures to help someone else in the future.

Last edited by firstnlast; 08-05-21 at 08:35 AM.
Acrad (08-05-21)
Old 08-07-21, 11:34 AM
firstnlast
Driver School Candidate

So here is my final update (Hopefully). So I got it all put back together, and I will say first of all Kudos to RockAuto.com, I used everything they sent, it didn't have to return anything, I know that is not typical, cause my Wife works at Fedex and she says they return stuff nearly everyday for that company. But I'm a cheap bastard so they are who I went with. I did have to shave the emergency brake area where the adjuster goes on the shoes a little to make room for the rotor to go on, but no big deal.
The company that quoted me $50 a side for machine pressing the bearing, when I showed up they said they didn't have the needed equipment to do that model, So I took it to Smyth Automotive, and they did it for $100 a side, and got it done in about 2 hours. The hardest part was the emergency brakes, and though I couldn't find anyone that posted a helpful video about the shoes, I will say work top to bottom when you reinstall them, I'm one of those who just doesn't do something, I try to find the best way to do them. Spent about three hours on the first side, but did the second side in just under an hour. I did have a helper and that extra hand to hold something is lifesaving. After installing everything and bleeding the brakes, i torqued everything correctly and took it for a spin.
Not only did all the codes disappear after hitting about 10 MPH, the underlying vibration I felt was gone and so was the steering wheel shaking with hard braking. I gotta tell you it drives like a Lexus now.
Here are the pics:

The first picture is the driver's side rear bearing, this was the "good side", but I didn't even notice till I blew up the picture, there is a hair line crack in the seal, I'm glad I replaced it. That is an extra $150 well spent. It was just a ticking time bomb to go bad.

The second picture is the passenger side rear, this was the cause of my c1403 code. The seal had totally come off, ruined the ABS ring, possibly missing at least one ball bearing, burned up the lube in there, and judging by the last picture caused a lot of loose metal fragments to float around.

This is the two side by side after pulling them off and cleaning them up a bit before going to the machine shop. Driver's left, passenger right.

This is what the stuff looked like that I got off the passenger side axle. That's a lot of metal fragments in there, and the ABS ring was broken loose in there causing my C1403 code. None of the pieces look like part of a ball bearing, it mostly looks like the metal seal broke apart.

I hope this helps someone in the future if they get that dreaded c1403 code. when you pull that ABS sensor off take a look in there and smell for burnt oil. It's normally a dead give away for something worse.

Lexus said they had to replace the entire axle for starters at $2500+ to fix the code if they could find one at a salvage yard! That was a bend over and take it, and just when you think we're done someone else will take over, open ended quote. The cheapest I could find was Firestone saying they would charge $1100 to do just the wheel bearing on passenger side. which I was seriously considering, but $1100 to change out a $50-100 part? After finding out the cost to machine press the bearings(quoted $50 for one side, but ended up paying $200 for both sides), I started looking at part prices, and just figured I would do it myself. Roughly $463 later it drives like a dream.

Hope everyone has a great day! Mine sure is!

Last edited by firstnlast; 08-07-21 at 11:54 AM.
DrumsNstuff (06-24-24)
Old 06-25-24, 08:34 AM
DrumsNstuff
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C1403 Info Needed

Hi All -

I'm new to the community as I purchased a 2012 GX 460 Premium. I'm now in need of some assistance if possible. I've read through all I can find on this DTC - Many Thanks to @firstnlast and Acrad for your posts - they have been extremely helpful.

I am seeking what to do when you first get the C1403 code. Is there a service pathway you should follow? I cant seem to locate the SM info anywhere on this one. So, do I just immediately pull the ABS sensor, test for continuity, if bad replace, if not bad, what then... (Obviously praying not to find what Firstnlast found).

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-24, 07:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

DrumsNstuff (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 05:13 AM
DrumsNstuff
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much @Acrad . This is so helpful.
Acrad (06-26-24)