GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Toyo Open Country AT3 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 10:16 AM
VinceD714
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country AT3 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W?

Hello all,

I just recently purchased a used 2014 GX460. I am planning to add a Dobinson lift and upgrade to some bigger tires. This SUV is a replacement for my prerunner while it is in the fab shop. This SUV will strictly be a pavement queen. I don't think I will take it off road. That being said, I will use this SUV to do some road trips that last any where from 3 to 5 hours. So far, I think I've narrowed it down to the two that I've mentioned in the title. I'd like a tire that will be comfortable and quiet. Even though it will mainly be only used on road, I like the perception or visual appeal of the off road ruggedness. I've heard people like the Geolander 015 AT and some like the K02. I believe the tire size will be 285/70/17. Any certain recommendations? Thanks!

Main criteria is how comfortable and quiet the tire is on highways.
The following users liked this post:
GXLUX (08-09-21)
Old 08-01-21, 10:59 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

I've been happy with how quiet my AT Nitto terra grapplers are on pavement along with their more aggressive look compared to highway tires. However if you don't plan to go off-road at all and are primarily concerned with road handling, you can't do better than Michelin Defenders, which even do well in light off-road duty.
Old 08-01-21, 11:18 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

No experience with the Toyo's (heard great things) but I recently switched from the stock tires to the AT3w's in stock sizing. 95% of our driving is also on pavement it is sounds like our GX's our very similar use cases...
What I've noticed is the AT3W's do generate more road noise at all speeds but it's not unbearable, just noticeable. (I've has KO2s in the past and it's not even close to that and it doesn't make it feel like you're driving a wrangler with mud nubbies either, but it's not a road tire in terms of noise level, especially the oem Michelin's we had on it. Those tires were super light and super quiet, the tread didn't last for crap but they did their job in terms of on road performance handling, road noise, and maximizing fuel efficiency. we've noticed roughly 1-1.5 mpg drop with eh at3w's.... All the above being stated, I would make the same tires decision if I had to do it again today. Good luck!

Old 08-01-21, 01:05 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceD714
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a used 2014 GX460. I am planning to add a Dobinson lift and upgrade to some bigger tires. This SUV is a replacement for my prerunner while it is in the fab shop. This SUV will strictly be a pavement queen. I don't think I will take it off road. That being said, I will use this SUV to do some road trips that last any where from 3 to 5 hours. So far, I think I've narrowed it down to the two that I've mentioned in the title. I'd like a tire that will be comfortable and quiet. Even though it will mainly be only used on road, I like the perception or visual appeal of the off road ruggedness. I've heard people like the Geolander 015 AT and some like the K02. I believe the tire size will be 285/70/17. Any certain recommendations? Thanks!

Main criteria is how comfortable and quiet the tire is on highways.
Based on your use and priority ... no question ... Michelin Defender's ... probably the best overall performing SUV street tire available ... very quiet with excellent handling ... and have a 60,000 mile warranty. They also have great light off road performance and are very good on ice and light snow conditions. The other tires you mention are way too aggressive for your purpose ... unless looks are an override.

Last edited by ASE; 08-01-21 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-01-21, 02:55 PM
VinceD714
Driver School Candidate

I think you guys are right. The Defenders are the way to go. But I've looked it up and it is saying that it is an E rated tire? Wouldn't C rated be more comfortable?
Old 08-02-21, 06:08 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The only Michelin Defender that shows up on Tire Rack is the LTX M/S. Is that what others are going with for the 265/60/18 size? I checked Discount Tire as well and that seems to be the ONLY flavor of the Defender in our size. Interesting enough, it's listed as a Mud/Snow tire but didn't get the coveted 3 snow flake rating. From their verbiage:
NOTE: The Defender LTX M/S Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
I guess you could go with the dedicated snow tire if you needed it: CROSSCLIMATE SUV
Old 08-02-21, 08:48 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceD714
I think you guys are right. The Defenders are the way to go. But I've looked it up and it is saying that it is an E rated tire? Wouldn't C rated be more comfortable?
Yes, a C rating would be more comfortable than the E. 6 ply vs 10. I have run the Toyo OC ATIII in 265/70/17 C rating and am now on BFG KO2 285/70/17 E but my ego finds the ride acceptable.
Old 08-02-21, 09:45 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
The only Michelin Defender that shows up on Tire Rack is the LTX M/S. Is that what others are going with for the 265/60/18 size? I checked Discount Tire as well and that seems to be the ONLY flavor of the Defender in our size. Interesting enough, it's listed as a Mud/Snow tire but didn't get the coveted 3 snow flake rating. From their verbiage:
NOTE: The Defender LTX M/S Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
I guess you could go with the dedicated snow tire if you needed it: CROSSCLIMATE SUV
Yep, that's the one. Costco sells the same tire, however it is labeled Michelin X, IIRC.
Old 08-02-21, 01:35 PM
AirUhGone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same situation trying to decide between the two. Read a lot of great things about the Wildpeaks. I'm running 265/65/18. I barely notice road noise with the music down but overall very quiet. No experience with the Toyos.
Old 08-05-21, 08:35 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I am running 265/65/18 AT3s on my car and love them.
The following users liked this post:
JRT3 (08-08-21)
Old 08-05-21, 12:58 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I'm running Wilkpeak now and probably get the same tires in 265/65 size when it's time to replace them. But man, did the price just jump? I don't recall they were this much when I got them a few years ago.
Old 08-07-21, 06:42 PM
VinceD714
Driver School Candidate

Lots of good responses. I think if it came down to it, falkens seem to be the go to. However, with such a high demand for the falkens, the prices have gone way up!!! I really had to ask myself what I will be doing with my SUV at the end of the day. And to be completely honest, it will mainly be strictly on road with lots of long trips. I ended up going from Dallas to San Marcos then back to Dallas today with the GX. Came to realize I need a good tire that was quiet. While the OEM Michelins are down right quiet, it doesn't have the aggressive look I'm going after. I'm thinking about the Geolander 015. That seems to resemble a HT while being an AT. Does anyone have experience with those?
Old 08-08-21, 01:00 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
Yep, that's the one. Costco sells the same tire, however it is labeled Michelin X, IIRC.
That's good to know when the time comes. Although, their website shows out of stock but do in fact carry the same LTX M/S2. Tire Rack has them for $220 a piece which doesn't seem too bad. These days it seems most respectable tires run about 1K installed but even then it's no guarantee of performance over the life of the warranty. I will say that most are likely better than the stock Bridgestones.

Old 08-08-21, 09:20 PM
JRT3
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Watching this thread and thank you for posting. Just bought some RRW 17" rims. I'm looking at the Falken's, Nitto Ridge Grapplers (had these before on my 4runner) and perhaps the Yokohama GeoLander - they have a nice review on TR. KO2's and Goodyear Duratrac are a possibility but need to research more and talk to dealers. Friggin' tires.