GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21, 07:43 AM
DSMinATL
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
I feel your pain and wound up walking away from the first 3 GX's I put deposits on due to crap like that.

It is my sincere hope that people remember what these types of dealerships are doing in the future and make them suffer when the market reverses and the buyers have the power again.
We are torn on what to do. The one we secured with a deposit is a white Black Line which is what we wanted. And I've been sitting here for a month assuming we were good to go. I keep hearing stories about how inventory is scarce and some dealerships are charging over MSRP for the Black Lines. Here is the list of dealer add-ons they put on the final quote (selling at MSRP):
  • Nitrogen - $96
  • Resist All - $595
  • Window Tint - $295
  • Apex Protection - $950
And then there is the usual doc fee at $695. The sales guy tried to make these add-ons sound like a deal because he claimed all future GX orders will include a 'ceramic coating' at $3,000 and you can't negotiate to have it removed.

I'm going to drive to another local dealership today and get the truth on what they are charging for the GX Black Line. I've heard they may be charging $5K over MSRP but I haven't confirmed. We aren't in a rush to purchase. I just wish I knew what the next couple of months looked like.
Old 11-28-21, 08:42 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My local dealer is charging 12 percent over on the Rx and gx models. Not sure about others
Old 11-28-21, 08:46 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
My local dealer is charging 12 percent over on the Rx and gx models. Not sure about others
You're making me glad we put in an order with a deposit that locked down the price.
Old 11-28-21, 11:25 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMinATL
We are torn on what to do. The one we secured with a deposit is a white Black Line which is what we wanted. And I've been sitting here for a month assuming we were good to go. I keep hearing stories about how inventory is scarce and some dealerships are charging over MSRP for the Black Lines. Here is the list of dealer add-ons they put on the final quote (selling at MSRP):
  • Nitrogen - $96
  • Resist All - $595
  • Window Tint - $295
  • Apex Protection - $950
And then there is the usual doc fee at $695. The sales guy tried to make these add-ons sound like a deal because he claimed all future GX orders will include a 'ceramic coating' at $3,000 and you can't negotiate to have it removed.

I'm going to drive to another local dealership today and get the truth on what they are charging for the GX Black Line. I've heard they may be charging $5K over MSRP but I haven't confirmed. We aren't in a rush to purchase. I just wish I knew what the next couple of months looked like.

If you don't need the vehicle I'd walk over the $685 documentation fee alone as they are complete BS. Our Starfire Pearl Black Line was $80 over MSRP (no idea where that number came from) with no other fees or add-ons. They actually swapped out all 5 OEM tires with the Falken Rubitrek's that I brought for free (including road force balancing) so realistically we probably paid $200 under MSRP since that would have been a couple hundred dollars otherwise I'm sure.

Do you have a written Purchase Agreement with pricing on it from your dealership? If so that is legally binding so I'd be calling the State Attorney General if they refuse to sell it to you for the price on that contract.

I really do love our new GX though.

Old 11-28-21, 12:06 PM
DSMinATL
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

If you don't need the vehicle I'd walk over the $685 documentation fee alone as they are complete BS. Our Starfire Pearl Black Line was $80 over MSRP (no idea where that number came from) with no other fees or add-ons. They actually swapped out all 5 OEM tires with the Falken Rubitrek's that I brought for free (including road force balancing) so realistically we probably paid $200 under MSRP since that would have been a couple hundred dollars otherwise I'm sure.

Do you have a written Purchase Agreement with pricing on it from your dealership? If so that is legally binding so I'd be calling the State Attorney General if they refuse to sell it to you for the price on that contract.

I really do love our new GX though.
We are walking away from this 'deal'. When I placed the deposit over the phone I told them I wouldn't proceed unless they removed the Apex charge. I received an email from the sales guy stating "my manager approved the removal of the Apex charge and this email serves as the written agreement".

We went to another dealership today and it was a completely different experience. They are charging zero add-ons so you pay MSRP and that's it. Unfortunately they do not have any Black Lines available so we may have to settle for a Premium trim if they cannot find one. I really want the Black Line but it will be my wife's vehicle and she will be happy with a Premium if necessary. What makes me even more angry is that had I known we would get jerked around I would have never wasted my time with them in the first place. Congrats on your purchase!

Old 11-28-21, 12:20 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DSMinATL
We are walking away from this 'deal'. When I placed the deposit over the phone I told them I wouldn't proceed unless they removed the Apex charge. I received an email from the sales guy stating "my manager approved the removal of the Apex charge and this email serves as the written agreement".

We went to another dealership today and it was a completely different experience. They are charging zero add-ons so you pay MSRP and that's it. Unfortunately they do not have any Black Lines available so we may have to settle for a Premium trim if they cannot find one. I really want the Black Line but it will be my wife's vehicle and she will be happy with a Premium if necessary. What makes me even more angry is that had I known we would get jerked around I would have never wasted my time with them in the first place. Congrats on your purchase!

You're doing the right thing! The Black Line is nice,however, it's not worth a markup over MSRP.

Also, with the Premium you can get the Plus package with ML sound which isn't available on the Black Line and I wish it was.

See if they'll write up a Purchase Agreement nicely by mentioning what happened. The should understand your not wanting to waste your or their time.

Let us know how it goes!

The following 2 users liked this post by jlficken:
CFAI (11-28-21), DSMinATL (11-28-21)
Old 11-28-21, 04:47 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

My GX is supposed to be at my dealer in 2 weeks. I'm an old school guy and wonder how easy is it to use the infotainment screen. What screen is used the most or on as a default? Will I be able to download routes from my android smart phone to the navigation screen? How long did the salesman or a techno person spend on showing you how to use the screen. On another note I'm reading horror stories of dealers marking up your negotiated price. How many of you bought your new GX below MSRP or at least MSRP ? This will be my fourth Lexus and I would not hesitate to drive 4 or 5 hours to another dealer who would give me a price and stand by it. I feel that my home dealer will treat me right as they have in the past.
Old 11-28-21, 05:02 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
My GX is supposed to be at my dealer in 2 weeks. I'm an old school guy and wonder how easy is it to use the infotainment screen. What screen is used the most or on as a default? Will I be able to download routes from my android smart phone to the navigation screen? How long did the salesman or a techno person spend on showing you how to use the screen. On another note I'm reading horror stories of dealers marking up your negotiated price. How many of you bought your new GX below MSRP or at least MSRP ? This will be my fourth Lexus and I would not hesitate to drive 4 or 5 hours to another dealer who would give me a price and stand by it. I feel that my home dealer will treat me right as they have in the past.
What I've always done with any new car is dive through the menus and understand what each menu item does to discover all the features. I only keep in mind the ones I find useful and ignore the rest. Like most modern infotainment, there's a lot of menu-diving in the 2022 GX' infotainment system. I'd advise anyone no to be intimidated and take the time to go through each one menu item. Just like back in the days we knew what each button and gauge was for, just do the same kind discovery. Each time I'm offered to be shown the infotainment system at the dealership, I've always declined. I never remember anything when someone else flips through the settings for me. I prefer to be hands on, personally.

There's also a YouTube video that acrad linked to (see below for the link) where a woman does a comprehensive walkthrough of the 2022 GX 460 in its entirety. In fact, I watched her old video of the 2021 GX 460 months ago, before I even considered buying the GX, as a part of my research. If you have the time to kill while you wait to take delivery, I'd say watch it.

And I paid MSRP. I've never paid MSRP or above before, but then again I've owned multiple vehicles at any given time and I've never paid above $38k before either. Haha. This one was my first one waaay above that price.

The following 3 users liked this post by Seanzky:
GX4602011 (11-29-21), jlficken (11-28-21), Philly01 (11-29-21)
Old 11-28-21, 05:04 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
What I've always done with any new car is dive through the menus and understand what each menu item does to discover all the features. I only keep in mind the ones I find useful and ignore the rest. Like most modern infotainment, there's a lot of menu-diving in the 2022 GX' infotainment system. I'd advise anyone no to be intimidated and take the time to go through each one menu item. Just like back in the days we knew what each button and gauge was for, just do the same kind discovery. Each time I'm offered to be shown the infotainment system at the dealership, I've always declined. I never remember anything when someone else flips through the settings for me. I prefer to be hands on, personally.

There's also a YouTube video that acrad linked to (see below for the link) where a woman does a comprehensive walkthrough of the 2022 GX 460 in its entirety. In fact, I watched her old video of the 2021 GX 460 months ago, before I even considered buying the GX, as a part of my research. If you have the time to kill while you wait to take delivery, I'd say watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgr7s5_O-hw

I watched her video too and didn't even have the salesman go through anything when buying it.
Old 11-28-21, 06:11 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Good info. Thanks, I'll watch it. I, like you have never bought a new car at MSRP in my life but I guess it's the sign of the times (economy of supply and demand). MSRP Was given as the price when I agreed to buy it so that is what I expect to pay.
Old 11-28-21, 07:33 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys,
I have money down on a 22 GX premium plus with captain chairs. Wood field Lexus near Chicago is offering $1k above msrp but includes front window tint and another dealer add on unfortunately. Order date shows 11/1, they had this allocated to them luckily just after I talked to them. They anticipate end of December for delivery give or take. I live outside Milwaukee and the local dealers here are either way above Sticker price or are offering way less on my 2017 4Runner limited. Anyone else do any better recently in the Midwest area? My deposit is refundable.

thanks folks and happy holidays!
Old 11-28-21, 08:04 PM
WIGX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hey guys,
I have money down on a 22 GX premium plus with captain chairs. Wood field Lexus near Chicago is offering $1k above msrp but includes front window tint and another dealer add on unfortunately. Order date shows 11/1, they had this allocated to them luckily just after I talked to them. They anticipate end of December for delivery give or take. I live outside Milwaukee and the local dealers here are either way above Sticker price or are offering way less on my 2017 4Runner limited. Anyone else do any better recently in the Midwest area? My deposit is refundable.

I'm in Milwaukee too and we just bought a Premium Plus with sport package and captains chairs. Ended up buying it at Lexus of Orland Park after having a GX on hold with Lexus of Brookfield.

LOB wouldn't remove all dealer add ons but did negotiate the price of the dealer adds significantlyly, but Orland Park called me and had the truck on their lot after the original buyer fell through.

Great experience. Paid MSRP and they beat LOB on the trade by a significant margin so I traded it in vs selling to Vroom.

Awesome truck.
​​​
Old 11-28-21, 08:08 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigbwb;[url=tel:11172247
11172247[/url]]Hey guys,

Not to be a downer but plan on 75+ days from build date to delivery on the Midwest.

Ours was built on 8/31 but didn't get to the dealership until 11/19.
Old 11-28-21, 08:52 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WIGX460
I'm in Milwaukee too and we just bought a Premium Plus with sport package and captains chairs. Ended up buying it at Lexus of Orland Park after having a GX on hold with Lexus of Brookfield.

LOB wouldn't remove all dealer add ons but did negotiate the price of the dealer adds significantlyly, but Orland Park called me and had the truck on their lot after the original buyer fell through.

Great experience. Paid MSRP and they beat LOB on the trade by a significant margin so I traded it in vs selling to Vroom.

Awesome truck.
​​​
good for you!, I will reach out to Orland park tomorrow! Is it worth using your salesman and if you don’t mind, could I mention you? (Feel free to PM me, if you are cool with it).

I really appreciate the heads up!
Old 11-28-21, 08:53 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Not to be a downer but plan on 75+ days from build date to delivery on the Midwest.

Ours was built on 8/31 but didn't get to the dealership until 11/19.
bummer! Seems more realistic, so thank you!

Quick Reply: 2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery