GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-21, 04:53 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteDipper
Lexus is pretty lax on the EnForm app security if you have access to all the functions, or am I missing something? All you need is the vin from the window sticker which is available for any new lexus advertised by a dealer. It will take one incident where a vehicle is remotely started that is sitting on the lot or valet mode is used to limit the speed or mileage for Lexus to tighten up security. The manual directs that the emergency connect button in the overhead center console be used to initially enable the app, this is likely a "Security Measure" but obviously there is a breach.
I’d care more about the lack of security if they actually allowed me to track my vehicle without having to jump through a bunch of hoops. They could do it they just don’t so I did what I had to do to figure out where my new GX was.

Multiple accounts can’t have the same vehicle registered though so that isn’t really a concern.
Old 12-19-21, 07:07 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus is pretty lax on the EnForm app security if you have access to all the functions, or am I missing something? All you need is the vin from the window sticker which is available for any new lexus advertised by a dealer. It will take one incident where a vehicle is remotely started that is sitting on the lot or valet mode is used to limit the speed or mileage for Lexus to tighten up security. The manual directs that the emergency connect button in the overhead center console be used to initially enable the app, this is likely a "Security Measure" but obviously there is a breach.
even though I have access to view my GX’s status, the start feature and everything else remains inactive. I’m guessing that “switch” is flipped upon or after delivery. I doubt Lexus would have overlooked this😉
Old 12-19-21, 07:31 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
even though I have access to view my GX’s status, the start feature and everything else remains inactive. I’m guessing that “switch” is flipped upon or after delivery. I doubt Lexus would have overlooked this😉

I could remote start, lock/unlock, and turn the hazards on with my GX when it was still a state away.
Old 12-19-21, 07:40 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlficken
I could remote start, lock/unlock, and turn the hazards on with my GX when it was still a state away.
That’s odd! Mine gives me an error code when I try to do so.
Old 12-27-21, 07:54 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Good luck on price

I went to see the GX and it’s marked 20k over sticker price. They will not go down on price. Not to many one dealer lots.
Old 12-27-21, 08:22 PM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

My local dealership has 19 2022 GX’s and they’re priced normally. No markup whatsoever.

edit… now it’s 15

Last edited by AirForce8; 12-29-21 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 08:50 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Picked it up tonight!

The following 5 users liked this post by bigbwb:
Acrad (12-28-21), GX4602011 (12-28-21), jlficken (12-28-21), Kisel17 (01-22-22), Philly01 (12-27-21)
Old 12-28-21, 07:31 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Nothing like that new car smell !
Old 12-28-21, 08:21 AM
thedroids
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011
Got the 2022 GX. Atomic Silver & Sepia.

Premium Pkg, heated steering wheel, headlight washers and cargo cover, no port installed options nor dealer add-ons. Paid MSRP of $58,535.00. It was the exact colors and options we wanted, with nothing extra that we didn't. I bought the Lexus floor liners, cargo rubber mat and cross bars (roof rack) at the parts counter. As soon as the Lexus hitch becomes available once again I'll purchase that, in the mean time I have a Curt to use. All GXs and most all other models are pre-sold before arriving at the dealership. We were fortunate to get ours in a relatively short time (deposit at the beginning of November), current wait time is 3 months or so. Our sales guy told us their dealership is forbidden by Lexus to add markup, unlike their sister Toyota dealership with ridiculous markups.

The finance department experience was not that great. The dealership is connected with the Toyota dealership, so we were brought to the Toyota finance department. As expected came the 'extras'. We brought a cashiers check for the full mount, like others here paying cash. This started out with our finance lady looking for some other ways to profit. She first asked how long we would keep our new GX, I replied maybe 2 years, depending where we move next in retirement. The expression turned a bit sour on her unmasked face, what came next explained it. She presented a work sheet with three rows of options. The first row on the left was labeled 'Premium', the second row 'Preferred', the third row to the right of the sheet the 'Essentials'. I was gobsmacked by the audacity of the prices for what amounted to crap for the most part.

Premium:
Service Agreement - 72mo/100K :$4,495.00
Prepaid Maintenance - 60mo \ 55K miles: $2,270.00
Ceramic Finish - Nano Glass coating: $1,735.00
Rust Sound Protection - Rust Treatment, Door Jams, Wheel well: $1,009.00
Xpel Clear Bra - Clear and Invisible Protection: $2,430.00
Crystal Fusion - Improved visibility and night vision: $1,825.00
Tire and Wheel - Tire and wheel coverage: $1,010.00
Key Replacement - $800 benefit: $349.00

Preferred
Xpel Clear Bra - Clear and Invisible Protection: $2,430.00

Essentials

The sales tactic plan is to show an obnoxious amount on the first row and as one reads to the right, the last option 'Essentials' would seem far more reasonable (relatively) and would still net $Ks in profits. If she could only see the smile (laughing at the absurdity) on my face under my mask. She was clearly unhappy with our refusal of the 'add-ons' and showed it. I just hope there is no vengeful retaliation such as messing up the paperwork, misplacing the money order, etc.
This is my first post on this forum. I walked out of the Toyota dealership after I was handed a quote for $5k of extras that drove my Tacoma price up to $51k. I told the salesman that that is all garbage and I could get a Lexus GX 460 for that price + a few thousand more and have a V8 to boot.
So here I am.
And we decided that we’d rather have the GX over a Taco anyhow because of the comfort on long trips and hp/torque improvements for pulling our trailer.
Here’s my question. Did you have to purchase any of that stuff? You said you got exactly what you wanted without any extras, so I assume you refused all of that dealer tinsel at gold bullion prices.
I’m just dipping my toes in this now and want to prepare as much as possible. I haven’t purchased a new vehicle in almost two decades.
Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 09:24 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

You have to determine what is important to you, on our 2021 GX we added the Xpel film because we get lots of gravel on our roads and paint chips are common. Also we got the Ceramic coating and glass treatment, the cost of these and the glass coverage included was better than the price of windshield insurance and the deductible through our insurance company. We didn't add any of the service agreements, extended warranty or tire/wheel coverage.
Consider how you will use your GX, the roads and how long you plan to keep it.
Old 12-28-21, 12:51 PM
NiteDipper
Rookie

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thedroids
This is my first post on this forum. I walked out of the Toyota dealership after I was handed a quote for $5k of extras that drove my Tacoma price up to $51k. I told the salesman that that is all garbage and I could get a Lexus GX 460 for that price + a few thousand more and have a V8 to boot.
So here I am.
And we decided that we’d rather have the GX over a Taco anyhow because of the comfort on long trips and hp/torque improvements for pulling our trailer.
Here’s my question. Did you have to purchase any of that stuff? You said you got exactly what you wanted without any extras, so I assume you refused all of that dealer tinsel at gold bullion prices.
I’m just dipping my toes in this now and want to prepare as much as possible. I haven’t purchased a new vehicle in almost two decades.
Thanks in advance.
It seems that lexus dealers are less likely to add dealer options to an allocated vehicle that has a deposit on it. That has been my experience with two dealers. High volume dealers that can't sell at high volumes due to supply are trying to still achieve the same total profit from fewer units sold. A lot of their costs are fixed and need to be covered by less sales to remain viable, that being said I'm not paying extra, they can change their business model. I own a 5th gen 4r and a 22GX and think it is a no brainer to buy a GX for a for a bit more if you can afford it.

Last edited by NiteDipper; 12-31-21 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-28-21, 04:05 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForce8
My local dealership has 19 2022 GX’s and they’re priced normally. No markup whatsoever.
What dealer?
Old 12-28-21, 04:11 PM
thedroids
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanG
You have to determine what is important to you, on our 2021 GX we added the Xpel film because we get lots of gravel on our roads and paint chips are common. Also we got the Ceramic coating and glass treatment, the cost of these and the glass coverage included was better than the price of windshield insurance and the deductible through our insurance company. We didn't add any of the service agreements, extended warranty or tire/wheel coverage.
Consider how you will use your GX, the roads and how long you plan to keep it.
Ian, Thanks. Valid points. We are in SC. The roads are crap but busted windshields are covered by the state so windshield protection of any type isn’t really a consideration.
I do plan on some long hauls west and to Newfoundland so there are a myriad of road conditions that I will have to consider and weigh.
This purchase is a long overdue replacement for an 80 series LandCruiser so it won’t live a shopping mall life. Gravel will be a factor.
The following 2 users liked this post by thedroids:
GX4602011 (12-28-21), IanG (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 04:19 PM
thedroids
Driver School Candidate

It seems that lexus dealers are less like to add dealer options to an allocated vehicle that has a deposit on it. That has been my experience with two dealers. High volume dealers that can't sell at high volumes due to supply are trying to still achieve the same total profit from fewer units sold. A lot of their costs are fixed and need to be covered by less sales to remain viable, that being said I'm not pay extra, they can change their business model. I own a 5th gen 4r and a 22GX and think it is a no brainer to buy a GX for a for a bit more if you can afford it.
We screwed up when we came back to the states in 2017. A 200 series LC was to replace the 80 I sold while we were away. The primary concern then was captains chairs on the second row. Not mine, but the smarter half. The LC doesn’t have that, so we got a Honda Pilot. The dumber half overlooked the fact that the captains chairs were made available that year.
I was set to get the Taco now, but an offer on the pilot got the gears moving on the best decision taking into consideration the entire vehicular family landscape in the next few years.
As you stated the GX is a no brained for me at this point.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll be sure to post updates as the purchase progresses.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 05:29 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thedroids
So here I am.
Thanks in advance.
I didn't buy any add-ons from the finance lady and the dealer didn't add on any mandatory pinstrips or window tint etc. as we had a deposit on it before it arrived. When i wrote 'getting exactly what we wanted without any extras' I was referring to factory or port installed unwanted options. Not really happy about paying full MSRP with no discount as in precovid days, so getting the exact options (factory installed) and exterior/interior colors we wanted and no extra factory/port installed unwanted options made the MSRP pill easier to swallow. There is only one Lexus dealer in our region while there are several Toyota dealers. I believe that may be a reason that Lexus forbid our dealer from adding markup (anti-monopoly?), while the attached (physically, same parts counter etc.) Toyota dealer has a $7K markup on Tacomas and $10K on Tundras. The difference is the normal wait time of 3 months for an ordered GX, Ours was a change of dealer allocation resulting in a shorter wait time. With that, in pre-covid days, our dealer sold at MSRP with no discounts from what I understand, so some would fly-n-drive fro our area and I was wiling to do that too, but there is no savings at other dealerships nowadays.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery