GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 07:14 PM
kamikazi
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nori
If you have until May, you should be able to find what you are looking for. I would expand your search radius and be willing to either go pick-up the vehicle or else ship it to your home.

Looks like you are in NY? During my search I contacted Lexus of Atlantic City and they seemed good (woman named Helen). Lexus of Lehigh Valley was helpful with no stated markups (perhaps nearby you). Lexus of Brooklyn had a 3k markup.

I purchased mine from Lexus of Berlin City (Portland, Maine) and shipped it. They were very good to work with; perhaps you could go there for a weekend trip and drive it back?

If you are willing to look even further, Sewell Lexus in Texas (multiple locations) seemed to have a bunch of inventory en route and easy to work with based on my conversations. Metro Lexus in Cleveland also willing to help via dealer trades, etc.

Be wary of getting what appears to be MSRP and then they tack on a bunch of stuff last minute. I had a couple dealers go that route and just walked away. Not worth it. Dealers in California, Washington, Florida, and anywhere near the West coast or Southeast seemed challenging for an out of state buyer.

In terms of "custom orders" what was explained to me is that Lexus is not accepting fully custom orders from customers. What happens is that you provide your desired spec to the dealer who then submits for a build allocation with Lexus. Lexus may or may not accept it depending on what they are producing. If you have a somewhat standard build, should get picked up. If you have a very unique build like Caviar with Base Model, no options, blah, blah, then it may not get picked up. Caviar seems super rare overall, especially on lower trim models.

The atomic silver looks awesome in person. Was my other option given you can spec with Mark Levinson. Does not look like a standard silver and has much more depth to it.

Good luck with the hunt...
Build process mentioned is correct. No custom build from factory, they are focused on producing Mac art to catch up to demand. Name of the game is allocation, get allocated and you will get it the way you want.

Do not pay over MSRP. Inventories have improved and less reason to do so now. You got time so you can get what you want and should expect MSRP.
Old 01-25-22, 03:51 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kamikazi
Inventories have improved and less reason to do so now..
11 of 14 plants in Japan shut down. In theory, wouldn’t it get worse than get better?

https://www.ibtimes.com/11-toyota-pl...ndemic-3380709
Old 01-25-22, 04:56 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Toyota is suspending production at the Tahara Plant, Production line #1, affecting Land Cruiser Prado, GX, 4Runner
January 25 (Tue), 26 (Wed), 27 (Thu), 28 (Fri), 31 (Mon) https://docs.publicnow.com/viewDoc?h...F3A75B76DC936F
Old 01-25-22, 05:38 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts
Default My Impression After 1 Month with th GX

I thought I would share my thoughts on my 2022 GX 460 Premium after 1 month of ownership. In early November I decided to trade my 2008 RX 350 for the GX after reading these pages in the forum and elsewhere. Watched a lot of UTube on the GX and I am so glad that I decided to pull the plug. I built a GX that I liked on the Lexus web site and took it to my dealer. Atomc Silver with the Sepia interior. Ecru was my second choice. Put down a $1000 deposit to find my GX that was on another dealer's lot or order from the factory. There was not any GX's on my dealer's lot that was not pre-sold. a couple of weeks later I got a text from my saleswomen that she could get an Atomic Silver in Ecru with all of the options I had wanted plus a few more that I not necessarily wanted but could live with, e.g., tonneau cover, heated steering wheel, cargo net, polished exhaust tip, etc. About $500 more but that was OK with me. I jumped on the deal and got my GX on December 10. Paid MSRP plus $129 dealer handing cost and was very happy after reading about other dealers tacking on excessive cost for dealer add On's. I am so glad I got the Ecru. It makes the interior look larger and more open than it is. I like to hunt and fish and the GX will be much better than my RX as far as getting off road and cargo space. The RX was OK for muddy forest roads, but I would not venture far off where the terrain was a little rougher. The GX has a true 4-wheel drive with a 2-speed transfer case that will make off roading much better. I love the sound of the V8 when I start it up. The retractable mirrors are used when entering my garage as I have to share room with my other vehicle. Makes walking between them much easier as well as keeping the garage door frame from being hit if I get to close entering or backing out. I have never had a vehicle that has all of the safety and other technology that the GX has. Using the voice button for phone and navigation is a hoot. I love the smooth ride that the GX offers and as it is a body on frame like a truck, it sits a little higher than the RX and just makes driving a little easier as far as being able to see the traffic in front. I love the BSM on the mirrors to warn you of traffic on either side of you. The auto dimming lights is another feature that I like. The cargo area is a little larger than the RX. Last year on an elk hunt in Colorado, my BIL and i were fortunate enough to harvest 2 bulls. MY RX cargo space was filled to the max with 2 150-quart ice chest plus a 45 and 30 quart. On top of that all of our gear reached the inside ceiling. We were like in a submarine as there was absolutely no open space. The GX will give us a little more breathing room if we can repeat our luck this fall. So far all of my driving has been city, going to the golf course, grocery store, etc., Before I had the RX, I had a full-size Chevy Blazer followed by a Ford Explorer. MY wife has had the Lexus ES and the RX was my first Lexus. Without a doubt I love the Lexus quality and the GX is a luxurious SUV for sure. I have not had a chance to wash the road dust off my new ride, but warmer weather is coming. The only additions I have made was having the dealer install cross bars for the roof rack and I installed the Curt tow hitch. To anybody thinking about getting a GX, I say do it. It is a great vehicle, and it lives up to it's name as a true SUV.

Last edited by catdaddylo; 01-25-22 at 05:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by catdaddylo:
DSMinATL (01-28-22), IanG (01-25-22), Islero (01-29-22), MontyLab (02-02-22), tntcandy (01-25-22)
Old 01-25-22, 06:09 PM
Nori
Driver School Candidate

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I thought I would share my thoughts on my 2022 GX 460 Premium after 1 month of ownership. In early November I decided to trade my 2008 RX 350 for the GX after reading these pages in the forum and elsewhere. Watched a lot of UTube on the GX and I am so glad that I decided to pull the plug. I built a GX that I liked on the Lexus web site and took it to my dealer. Atomc Silver with the Sepia interior. Ecru was my second choice. Put down a $1000 deposit to find my GX that was on another dealer's lot or order from the factory. There was not any GX's on my dealer's lot that was not pre-sold. a couple of weeks later I got a text from my saleswomen that she could get an Atomic Silver in Ecru with all of the options I had wanted plus a few more that I not necessarily wanted but could live with, e.g., tonneau cover, heated steering wheel, cargo net, polished exhaust tip, etc. About $500 more but that was OK with me. I jumped on the deal and got my GX on December 10. Paid MSRP plus $129 dealer handing cost and was very happy after reading about other dealers tacking on excessive cost for dealer add On's. I am so glad I got the Ecru. It makes the interior look larger and more open than it is. I like to hunt and fish and the GX will be much better than my RX as far as getting off road and cargo space. The RX was OK for muddy forest roads, but I would not venture far off where the terrain was a little rougher. The GX has a true 4-wheel drive with a 2-speed transfer case that will make off roading much better. I love the sound of the V8 when I start it up. The retractable mirrors are used when entering my garage as I have to share room with my other vehicle. Makes walking between them much easier as well as keeping the garage door frame from being hit if I get to close entering or backing out. I have never had a vehicle that has all of the safety and other technology that the GX has. Using the voice button for phone and navigation is a hoot. I love the smooth ride that the GX offers and as it is a body on frame like a truck, it sits a little higher than the RX and just makes driving a little easier as far as being able to see the traffic in front. I love the BSM on the mirrors to warn you of traffic on either side of you. The auto dimming lights is another feature that I like. The cargo area is a little larger than the RX. Last year on an elk hunt in Colorado, my BIL and i were fortunate enough to harvest 2 bulls. MY RX cargo space was filled to the max with 2 150-quart ice chest plus a 45 and 30 quart. On top of that all of our gear reached the inside ceiling. We were like in a submarine as there was absolutely no open space. The GX will give us a little more breathing room if we can repeat our luck this fall. So far all of my driving has been city, going to the golf course, grocery store, etc., Before I had the RX, I had a full-size Chevy Blazer followed by a Ford Explorer. MY wife has had the Lexus ES and the RX was my first Lexus. Without a doubt I love the Lexus quality and the GX is a luxurious SUV for sure. I have not had a chance to wash the road dust off my new ride, but warmer weather is coming. The only additions I have made was having the dealer install cross bars for the roof rack and I installed the Curt tow hitch. To anybody thinking about getting a GX, I say do it. It is a great vehicle, and it lives up to it's name as a true SUV.

Nice review and sounds like you made a great decision to go with the GX.

I just purchased the Curt hitch. Did you need the spacer to make it fit? Any issues with clearing the rear bumper?

Old 01-25-22, 06:50 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Nori
Nice review and sounds like you made a great decision to go with the GX.

I just purchased the Curt hitch. Did you need the spacer to make it fit? Any issues with clearing the rear bumper?
It's my understanding that the Curt hitch now comes with spacer to prevent pinching of the trim piece on the rear bumper. The spacer is about a quarter inch thick and keeps the hitch from coming into contact with the bumper trim piece. My advice if you install the hitch by yourself, is to use a jack to hold the hitch with the spacer in place to make lining up the bolt holes with the frame holes a lot easier than just using one hand to hold both to put a bolt through the holes. If you got somebody to hold the hitch with the spacer in line with the bolt holes it is piece of cake to install. I did have to lower the spare tire down a couple of inches to make room for lining up the bolt holes. I looked at this as learning experience to familiarize my self in case I have flat in the middle of no where to change a tire. Check out UTube on installing the Curt hitch by Uhaul and GX Bob.
The following users liked this post:
DSMinATL (01-28-22)
Old 01-27-22, 07:57 AM
Satalac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got the call yesterday that our GX was ready to be picked up. Unfortunately, this was right after my wife just tested positive for COVID. The dealer tried to work something out so that we could still sign and pick up, but it looks like we're going to have to wait until Monday. It does make me nervous that it's listed (double-checked the vin) on their website under new GX's. Hopefully that's just to drive traffic. I'd rather not have people testing it or, heaven forbid, them sell it. So ready to get this GX picked up and home.
Old 01-27-22, 08:05 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Satalac
Just got the call yesterday that our GX was ready to be picked up. Unfortunately, this was right after my wife just tested positive for COVID. The dealer tried to work something out so that we could still sign and pick up, but it looks like we're going to have to wait until Monday. It does make me nervous that it's listed (double-checked the vin) on their website under new GX's. Hopefully that's just to drive traffic. I'd rather not have people testing it or, heaven forbid, them sell it. So ready to get this GX picked up and home.

You could always add the VIN to the Lexus App, start your Remote Connect trial, and then call Lexus and get the Remote Connect code so that you can lock the doors if they get unlocked
Satalac (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 06:04 PM
Nori
Driver School Candidate

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

The vehicle I purchased was also listed on their web site, cars.com, etc. Would not worry about it. Better to keep everyone healthy.

Sales team needs something to help drive traffic these days.
Old 01-28-22, 10:32 AM
BillWill87
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm so jealous for all if you who took delivery if the GX460. I placed my deposit 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. Plus I also asked a caviar exterior with ecru interior and what will make it more difficult to find one that allocates is the fact that I added the Premium Plus package after hearing some people praise about the Marc Levinson speakers.
Can I ask about how long the wait was for you guys and also did they do any mark up that hasn't hasn't mentioned initially but after they had your gx delivered?
MontyLab (02-02-22)
Old 01-28-22, 11:34 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

BillWill87,

I’ll share my GX460 status with you. I placed an order (deposit) with the dealer the last week of December. At that time, the dealer had a GX460 coming that met my requirements. He had the VIN and configuration from Lexus but the vehicle hadn’t arrived yet.

I used a couple of things to track the status of the vehicle while I waited (since I had the VIN).

I registered with Lexus Drivers and found a VIN search on their web site - this provided the manufacturing month and also confirmation of standard and optional equipment/accessories.

I found a window sticker (also known as a “Monroney”) search link on this web site to periodically check the VIN for my GX. If you want to search for a Monroney, below is a generic link / you need to replace “type in the VIN” with the appropriate VIN number. If you get an error code 400 (I believe) and no window sticker image, the vehicle hasn’t processed through the port.

https://api.toyotainventory.com/vehicles/type in the VIN/monroney

My GX sat at the port for about 2-3 weeks before the monroney was processed and I could see it online.

Based upon some advice from other clublexus members here, I downloaded the Lexus iOS app and called into Lexus to register the VIN with my app - so I could monitor the location of the vehicle and some of the vehicle parameters.

When the GX was moved to the train for shipment, I could see on the app’s map that it had moved. Prior to that, it sat in the same location of the Port of Long Beach for more than a week before being loaded on the train.

I was told that the GX should arrive at the dealership by mid-Feb, possibly a bit earlier. I’m in Texas.

If it all works out, then it will have taken me about 1 1/2 months to get the vehicle — once I had placed a deposit AND had a VIN.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-22, 06:20 PM
Satalac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So we picked up our GX today! One of the easiest car buying experiences I've ever had. We paid MSRP and got exactly what we wanted. I'll try and get some pictures up soon. Loving our GX so far, very comfortable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Satalac:
MontyLab (02-03-22), SEELEXUS (01-30-22)
Old 01-30-22, 07:55 AM
BillWill87
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
BillWill87,

I’ll share my GX460 status with you. I placed an order (deposit) with the dealer the last week of December. At that time, the dealer had a GX460 coming that met my requirements. He had the VIN and configuration from Lexus but the vehicle hadn’t arrived yet.

I used a couple of things to track the status of the vehicle while I waited (since I had the VIN).

I registered with Lexus Drivers and found a VIN search on their web site - this provided the manufacturing month and also confirmation of standard and optional equipment/accessories.

I found a window sticker (also known as a “Monroney”) search link on this web site to periodically check the VIN for my GX. If you want to search for a Monroney, below is a generic link / you need to replace “type in the VIN” with the appropriate VIN number. If you get an error code 400 (I believe) and no window sticker image, the vehicle hasn’t processed through the port.

https://api.toyotainventory.com/vehicles/type in the VIN/monroney

My GX sat at the port for about 2-3 weeks before the monroney was processed and I could see it online.

Based upon some advice from other clublexus members here, I downloaded the Lexus iOS app and called into Lexus to register the VIN with my app - so I could monitor the location of the vehicle and some of the vehicle parameters.

When the GX was moved to the train for shipment, I could see on the app’s map that it had moved. Prior to that, it sat in the same location of the Port of Long Beach for more than a week before being loaded on the train.

I was told that the GX should arrive at the dealership by mid-Feb, possibly a bit earlier. I’m in Texas.

If it all works out, then it will have taken me about 1 1/2 months to get the vehicle — once I had placed a deposit AND had a VIN.

Good luck.
I appreciate the detailed information. I'll definitely follow these steps when I'm able to lock into one and get the VIN

So we picked up our GX today! One of the easiest car buying experiences I've ever had. We paid MSRP and got exactly what we wanted. I'll try and get some pictures up soon. Loving our GX so far, very comfortable.
For sure! Share those pictures!

One question I have for those who have put themselves into the waitlist. Did you have to follow up with your sales rep every week or every month to see if there was one coming in their lot? Or did the sales rep check with you regularly/periodically?
I ask this because I had to ask my sales rep this week to see if there was anything and only then I got a response that they had one vehicle with all of the options I asked but the exterior color not matching.
MontyLab (02-02-22)
Old 01-30-22, 11:26 AM
Questtt3
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking to buy a new GX since April of 2020. Had a great deal worked out at end of August ($4500 Lexus Cash back and $5500 dealer incentive) but then learned 2021s would finally have ML stereo with new Premium Plus Package so waited. Could not get one through this dealership (VERY rare in NE) and so kept looking into Spring...COVID hit and opportunities waned. At present, prices are nuts (MSRP considered a good deal...crazy). Despite this, really at point where might need to just accept it and move forward. Curious though, been researching new planned updates for 2023/24/25(?) and heard that in addition to 6 cyl twin-turbo, possibly10 speed transmission and chassis/interior redesign...understand they will be using a new box frame to lower CG and make frames a bit lighter and more uniform across platforms. Will this frame be any better in terms of rust and strength? Gotta wonder if the updates will be so significant that is worth waiting for a 2023/24/25(?) or recognizing current 2022 updates (Apple Car Play and infotainment update) with time-tested engine and platform has its own value and worth pulling the trigger now. Would appreciate any insight on the likelihood of this occurring in 2023 MY, and general insights or thoughts...thanks.

Also, curious...really want the ML stereo but also like the Black Line edition. Bkz they unfortunately are mutually exclusive must choose one or the other. Have only heard the base GX460 stereo...can anyone comment on how much better the GX 460 ML might be over the base stereo and if familiar with the Black Line package their thoughts on which option they recommend (Black Line vs ML stereo). Black interior with black headliner in Black line edition too much (too dark)? Thanks again.

Last edited by Questtt3; 01-30-22 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-30-22, 02:11 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Toyota / Lexus are masters of keeping model year information & updates secret. As recent as the 2022 model the upgraded infotainment system was not released early. There is lots of media speculation but the media has been speculating an upgraded GX model for the past 5+ years. You never know what is coming or what configuration it will come with. It may be a long wait and the next gen may be ....????
Questtt3 (01-31-22)

Quick Reply: 2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery