GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 04:52 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Considering a 2022 GX460

I've been on CL for a long while but never this forum.
I just sold my 2020 RC-F back to a dealer for an unbelievable price and plan to order a 2022 GX460.
I'd appreciate your input.
1- Android Auto will be in the '22! It's about time otherwise I would not go forward.
2- I'm surprised that they are not offering 20" wheels on the GX, do any of you have any thoughts or experience going to 20" wheels?
3- Any issues with towing? I'm planning on a hitch, not sure if it will get used but we do have a boat.

Any other thoughts
The following users liked this post:
Barzana (01-05-22)

Popular Reply

01-19-22, 06:23 PM
Nori
Driver School Candidate

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

New forum member. Received delivery of my Nori Green GX 460 this week. I was specifically looking for a body-on-frame SUV without a ton of technology that is capable of going off road. No plans to do heavy off-roading, but I am often on remote forest roads that require a capable vehicle. Younger guy, but not a fan of driving a computer on wheels and prefer simplicity and reliability over bleeding edge technology.

Called many dealers to find a Nori Green GX. Almost all asked for a mark-up (range was 2k-5k USD) or else refused to sell to out-of-state buyers. In addition, many dealers tried to add a litany of extras on top of the markup. Lexus North Miami wanted to sell me a Green GX at 72k USD (not joking) which was just stupid. Eventually, I found one that I could get at MSRP and had it shipped to my address. The car was sold, but the sale unexpectedly fell through so I took it immediately.

Color looks great and changes nicely with the light. IMO, much more interesting than the standard white, black, silver and helps tone down the luxury appearance of the car. Rather than "blacked out chrome," it has more of a smoked gold appearance, which is OK. Personally, I want to fly under the radar and was a bit apprehensive about getting something with a luxury badge. Would have preferred a 4Runner, but stock is limited and markups are even worse (not paying over MSRP on any car) which led me to a GX.

Purchased at MSRP + TTL and a minor "processing fee" which I was fine with given the inventory situation. Dealer originally tried to add a markup, paint protection, interior protection, etc.. but I asked them to remove everything and they obliged. They were very good to work with and did not pressure me on anything. Super helpful team.

Build includes exhaust tip, black line special edition, headlamp washers, tonneau cover, and all weather floor mats. I will purchase a hitch separately, along with ceramic window tint and front PPF. Really wanted the Mark Levinson audio, but it appears that it is not possible to spec with the green color even via a special order (at least at this point in time).

Old 08-06-21, 05:43 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 612 Likes on 370 Posts

2. Larger wheels and smaller tires are needed for performance cars to maximize road handling characteristics. A GX is not a performance car in anyway what so ever.... (other SUVs use larger wheels and smaller tires because they don't have KDSS or adjustable shocks which really do a fantastic job of keeping the yaw and pitch to a minimum with the GX). I love the feel of the GX with 18" wheels and oem tires and being able to adjust the suspension feel with a button. For a BOF SUV the GX is a modern marvel of engineering.

3. Depends on the size of the boat but in general the GX is a worthy towing vehicle for anything under 5000 lbs. Anything above but less than the 6500 limit is possible but is beyond my comfort level. If you plan to tow get the offroad package (Comes with an additional (air) transmission cooler) or just install the oem unit afterwards like a bunch of us have. Also if you're towing regularly I'd recommend getting a brake controller (it's plug n play) assuming your boat trailer has brakes, makes stopping a lot more comfortable. Also when you tow, the GX gas mileage goes to crap, the 4.6 is thirsty engine and this is normal.

One other data point is if you're not opposed to a pickup truck I would wait on the 22 Toyota Tundra, By all accounts its going to be pretty amazing. TT V6 (same engine as the new Land Cruiser 300 which just debuted), hybrid powertrain, high 20's / low 30's MPG and will have a lot of bells and whistles... MTS, CC... .and maybe even KDSS on the upper end model, which will still be cheaper than a GX. Hard to park but throw on a bed cap and loads more functional in pretty much every other aspect with better gas mileage.

Good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
hskbvn (09-09-21), Slprciv (09-14-21), william489 (10-05-21)
Old 08-06-21, 06:05 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
2. Larger wheels and smaller tires are needed for performance cars to maximize road handling characteristics. A GX is not a performance car in anyway what so ever.... (other SUVs use larger wheels and smaller tires because they don't have KDSS or adjustable shocks which really do a fantastic job of keeping the yaw and pitch to a minimum with the GX). I love the feel of the GX with 18" wheels and oem tires and being able to adjust the suspension feel with a button. For a BOF SUV the GX is a modern marvel of engineering.

3. Depends on the size of the boat but in general the GX is a worthy towing vehicle for anything under 5000 lbs. Anything above but less than the 6500 limit is possible but is beyond my comfort level. If you plan to tow get the offroad package (Comes with an additional (air) transmission cooler) or just install the oem unit afterwards like a bunch of us have. Also if you're towing regularly I'd recommend getting a brake controller (it's plug n play) assuming your boat trailer has brakes, makes stopping a lot more comfortable. Also when you tow, the GX gas mileage goes to crap, the 4.6 is thirsty engine and this is normal.

One other data point is if you're not opposed to a pickup truck I would wait on the 22 Toyota Tundra, By all accounts its going to be pretty amazing. TT V6 (same engine as the new Land Cruiser 300 which just debuted), hybrid powertrain, high 20's / low 30's MPG and will have a lot of bells and whistles... MTS, CC... .and maybe even KDSS on the upper end model, which will still be cheaper than a GX. Hard to park but throw on a bed cap and loads more functional in pretty much every other aspect with better gas mileage.

Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate the input.
- No issue, but I understand the wheel/tire dynamics. I was just surprised that there is no 20" since there would still be plenty of sidewall. BTW, I don't like driving on rubber bands, LOL.
- The towing, if it happens would be minimal, we live on a lake. The boat is a 20' pontoon and should be under the 5000lbs you mention, more like 2200. So towing would be for storage/service or an occasional trip to another lake.
- The Tundra sounds nice but a pickup is not in the cards. We'd probably be using the GX to snowbird south for winter.
Old 08-06-21, 06:28 AM
ncblue
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2022 updated centerstack

Looks like the 2022 will have a revised Center stack. The screen will also have better graphics.
EJC (08-06-21)
Old 08-06-21, 06:46 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

what are the 2022 deals looking like to Order? rough numbers fine.
Old 08-06-21, 06:53 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by schwein
what are the 2022 deals looking like to Order? rough numbers fine.
Don't know yet, but I don't think that they're talking on orders. There's no inventory out there and the used prices are through the roof.
They just bought back my 2020 RC-F for $69K and have it listed for what I paid!
Old 08-06-21, 07:11 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EJC
Don't know yet, but I don't think that they're talking on orders. There's no inventory out there and the used prices are through the roof.
Got it, yeah the 2022 looks great, essentially what everyone wishes the GX was after 2019... I would consider trading our 2019 for a 22 but will need to see what the cost difference is, we owe about 10k on ours still too.
Old 08-06-21, 10:02 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2022 gx

Originally Posted by schwein
Got it, yeah the 2022 looks great, essentially what everyone wishes the GX was after 2019... I would consider trading our 2019 for a 22 but will need to see what the cost difference is, we owe about 10k on ours still too.
Where exactly have you seen what a 2022 actually looks like, I'am vary interested as I really dislike the grill on the 2021.
Old 08-06-21, 10:48 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by garylbarr
Where exactly have you seen what a 2022 actually looks like, I'am vary interested as I really dislike the grill on the 2021.
The 2022s are now on Lexus.com along with the option to build
Old 08-06-21, 11:39 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EJC
The 2022s are now on Lexus.com along with the option to build
the outside looks virtually identical to the 2020's 2021's but the dash is where they made some pretty significant improvements.

The following 4 users liked this post by schwein:
2chains (08-07-21), EJC (08-06-21), sinistar (08-11-21), Slprciv (09-14-21)
Old 08-06-21, 02:28 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

$59,530 gets you the Prem Plus with ML sound. I think that is sweet spot. I will wait 7 more years before I trade in the '13 and get a CPO 2023 (assuming we are all still around by then )

The following 3 users liked this post by CFAI:
Acrad (08-06-21), CaliGX22 (01-30-22), william489 (08-21-21)
Old 08-06-21, 02:38 PM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
T
- No issue, but I understand the wheel/tire dynamics. I was just surprised that there is no 20" since there would still be plenty of sidewall. BTW, I don't like driving on rubber bands, LOL.
I think you would be fine with 20". I have 21" on my x5. I test drove 20" and it was smoother but I like the 21" look. Personally I would get 19". Imo 18" is a bit too small for the GX, aka too much rubber. You may not even feel the difference in riding quality/performance. Mostly just the look.

Originally Posted by EJC
My neighbor told me he got 8k more for his trade in compared to last year's offer. Used cars are crazy.
EJC (08-06-21)
Old 08-08-21, 07:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I see Sewell has a '22 inbound

https://www.sewell.com/VehicleDetail...-TX/5125213310
Old 08-08-21, 07:40 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acrad
I've got my name on one inbound Starfire SE in New Hampshire
Acrad (08-08-21)
Old 08-10-21, 10:08 AM
LexusSoCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered a 22 GX 460. MSRP for the build is $70.735 and the negotiated sale price is $66,672. Not the greatest deal but given the market right now I think anything under MSRP is good especially for a custom order.
The following 4 users liked this post by LexusSoCal:
KnowThySlf (08-16-21), Philly01 (09-01-21), sinistar (08-11-21), Slprciv (09-14-21)

Quick Reply: 2022 Lease/Purchase/Delivery