GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 01:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

This is a common issue? Is this the thing Lexus extended the warranty for?

I'm in the market for one of these eventually, can't wait.
Old 04-05-19, 01:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is a common issue? Is this the thing Lexus extended the warranty for?

I'm in the market for one of these eventually, can't wait.
Air Pump warranty extension on 10-13 models is separate. The warranty extension is good for 10 years with unlimited miles from warranty inception date.
Old 04-05-19, 01:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Air Pump warranty extension on 10-13 models is separate. The warranty extension is good for 10 years with unlimited miles from warranty inception date.
Thanks! Other than blips like this I fully expect my future truck to last 25 years.
Old 04-05-19, 05:55 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased the extended warranty on my 2010. It is absolutely unnecessary. I wasted my money. These vehicles are extremely reliable. I have had no issues. I had the issue with the air pump and Lexus did the right thing and put an extended warranty up on all vehicles no matter if you’re in or out of warranty.
Old 04-05-19, 05:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jaleels
I purchased the extended warranty on my 2010. It is absolutely unnecessary. I wasted my money. These vehicles are extremely reliable. I have had no issues. I had the issue with the air pump and Lexus did the right thing and put an extended warranty up on all vehicles no matter if you’re in or out of warranty.
Good to know even the first model year is indestructible.

Can't wait to get one, problem is I like the pre-refresh and spouse wants the spindle grill.
Old 04-05-19, 06:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jaleels
A little off topic. Are you the longest continuous 460 owner and CL member (same vehicle) here at this site?
Old 04-06-19, 07:01 AM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t know if I am the longest member but my GX is 2010. No issues. My wife and I hope to keep it for 15 years (easy) or 20 years. Only issue the secondary air pump.
Old 04-06-19, 09:21 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I have a 2010 as well and the only two major issues were the air pump and a leaking water pump. I hope to keep it another 8-10 years.
Old 04-11-19, 11:46 AM
FlyingFish
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealership Powertrain Warranty Advice

Hey Everyone! I've been a lurker on here for a few months since buying a 2014 GX back in November 2018. Really enjoying reading all the tips and have had a great ownership experience thus far! Unfortunately, I am having an issue with the Colorado Lexus dealership I purchased the GX from and could use a little advice. At purchase the 73K mileage on the car fell just outside the Lexus certified limit, and I knew that going in. However, my sales rep assured me that the dealership's own Pre-Owned Certified PowerTrain Warranty would cover all expensive repairs up to 100,000 miles or two years of ownership. Knowing this and factoring in the GX's rock solid reputation I bought in with confidence. Fast forward 5 months and 5000 miles. While the GX was in for the airbag recall issue at another Lexus dealership closer to my work two leaking seals were discovered....1 on the transmission output shaft and 1 on the transfer case input shaft. The bill there would come to $2,700. I consulted my powertrain warranty and it explicitly states that "Stand Alone Seals and Gaskets are covered for all components listed in POWERTRAIN", which includes the transmission and transfer case. Thinking I'm good to go I head over to the dealership of purchase and they all agree that after a $500 deductible, everything else is under warranty. There the estimate is $1900 (but only for the transfer case input seal), I pick up the loaner RX and off I go. Later that afternoon I receive a call that says the warranty claim has been denied (by the 3rd party vendor Century) because it's ONLY the seal that is the issue and not any other part. After politely expressing my dissatisfaction to the Lexus rep I worked with he said that the "stand alone" warranty language is specifically worded for this situation, he was dissatisfied with the decision too. I'm not a lawyer, but this all seemed very misleading and left a salty taste in my mouth. The rep was very professional and later suggested that I should come in and talk with the sales manager to see if anything can be done (it's above his pay grade). What can be done? Am I hosed? Any tips on how to handle this critical discussion would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-11-19, 12:39 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingFish
Hey Everyone! I've been a lurker on here for a few months since buying a 2014 GX back in November 2018. Really enjoying reading all the tips and have had a great ownership experience thus far! Unfortunately, I am having an issue with the Colorado Lexus dealership I purchased the GX from and could use a little advice. At purchase the 73K mileage on the car fell just outside the Lexus certified limit, and I knew that going in. However, my sales rep assured me that the dealership's own Pre-Owned Certified PowerTrain Warranty would cover all expensive repairs up to 100,000 miles or two years of ownership. Knowing this and factoring in the GX's rock solid reputation I bought in with confidence. Fast forward 5 months and 5000 miles. While the GX was in for the airbag recall issue at another Lexus dealership closer to my work two leaking seals were discovered....1 on the transmission output shaft and 1 on the transfer case input shaft. The bill there would come to $2,700. I consulted my powertrain warranty and it explicitly states that "Stand Alone Seals and Gaskets are covered for all components listed in POWERTRAIN", which includes the transmission and transfer case. Thinking I'm good to go I head over to the dealership of purchase and they all agree that after a $500 deductible, everything else is under warranty. There the estimate is $1900 (but only for the transfer case input seal), I pick up the loaner RX and off I go. Later that afternoon I receive a call that says the warranty claim has been denied (by the 3rd party vendor Century) because it's ONLY the seal that is the issue and not any other part. After politely expressing my dissatisfaction to the Lexus rep I worked with he said that the "stand alone" warranty language is specifically worded for this situation, he was dissatisfied with the decision too. I'm not a lawyer, but this all seemed very misleading and left a salty taste in my mouth. The rep was very professional and later suggested that I should come in and talk with the sales manager to see if anything can be done (it's above his pay grade). What can be done? Am I hosed? Any tips on how to handle this critical discussion would be greatly appreciated!
Extended warranties are designed around statistical probabilities (as is all insurance) with many of these (3rd Party) policies being close to worthless given the small print inclusions that effectively narrow their liability (coverage) to only include components that almost never fail ... with everything else not being covered. Sounds like you have a dealership sponsored (3rd Party) policy ? ... and not the "Lexus Pre-Owned Certified" coverage ? The devil is in the details ... so at the end-of-the-day, it's all about the fine print.

So I recommend you find a qualified mechanic to read the fine print and advise on what is actually covered so you have an informed position before engaging the "management types" who are only interested in selling policies and deflecting coverage to those less informed.

Last edited by ASE; 04-11-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 01:51 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Find a good local Toyota/Lexus shop and get a quote. You may get out with it Fixed for about the same cost as your deductible with a Lexus dealer.
Old 04-11-19, 03:53 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

What did you pay for the policy ? ... if incorporated into the purchase price, dealers typically raise the (used) sales price by $1,200 to $1,500 ... so if you are not satisfied, you could argue for them to reimburse this cost ... or to cover the repair ... whichever is less. The parts cost is a rounding error, with labor being the issue ... something the dealership has the power to absorb in the interest of customer satisfaction.

Is this is the same warranty company ? ...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto..._warranty.html

Last edited by ASE; 04-11-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 08:21 PM
FlyingFish
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone! I called around to a few local shops. The over the phone quotes were about 30-40% less than Lexus. On the other hand, each mechanic I spoke to agreed that this repair should be covered by even the most limited of powertrain warranties. To clarify my original post, the certified pre-owned powertrain warranty is a dealership sponsored "perk" and was not an extra cost above the negotiated price for the car itself. It is; however, heavily promoted by this dealership as a reason to buy from them and factored into my own decision making. All things considered, I'm headed back to the dealership in the morning to return the loaner and pick up my un-repaired GX. I'm going to give it one more go with management and use the talking points you all provided.

ASE - that's the one! Certainly not great reviews and I can't say I'm surprised...

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 04-19-19, 07:02 PM
GX111
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this an issue with 2014s as well? Above listed 2010-13 as models with Lexus extended warranty.

Did you see this on the same topic ? https://www.metaltech4x4.com/blog/le...d-the-unimod-/
Old 04-19-19, 07:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If one ingested water into that pump it is possible the filter foam could make its way into the air pump with the same results. IMO: If one isn't putting on a Hewitt bypass then pull the foam and put a UNI filter on it.

There is also this TSB for '14-'16 that is a ECM flash for cold weather operation of the air pump system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10109631

"Some 2014 – 2016 model year GX 460 vehicles may exhibit a MIL “ON” condition with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2440 (Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open, Bank 1) or P2442 (Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open, Bank 2) and under some conditions may enter limp mode (limited throttle input ~ 25mph). This condition can be triggered by sub-freezing ambient temperatures. Follow the Repair Procedure below to address this condition. "

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?