GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 12:25 AM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love those wheels with that color. Looks like an amazing example.
Old 06-27-19, 12:16 PM
awillsd76
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallyb
Hello
I can’t sleep. My wife and I bought a 2016 GX 460 today and I am having a hard time believing what the dealer has told me about the warranty we purchased so I found this forum but have not found an answer.
Dealers says there is 20 months left on factory warranty, after that is a (L/Certified limited warranty for 24 more months unlimited miles) then starts extended L/Certified Vehicle Service Agreement that with purchased for 5years 60 months unlimited miles.
This gives us coverage until February 2027 unlimited miles. This just seems to good. All of our paperwork is on a thumb drive and I guess the fine print is in there. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right?
If it is I think I’m going back and buying another one!
thanks in advance
Dallas
This sounds right, since you paid extra for the extended warranty with is 5 years with unlimited miles. Rest easy!
Old 07-17-19, 12:06 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Lexus factory Extended warranty/service plan

I recently received an offer from my local Lexus dealer for an extended service agreement. My GX is 2011 with 79k miles. Before I call and ask about pricing, I wanted to ask Members if they ever received similar offers and if so what plan and for price should I look into.
Old 07-17-19, 12:10 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

The small print on the bottom lists Century Warranty Services out of Jacksonville, FL as the underwriter.
Old 07-17-19, 05:08 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470

The small print on the bottom lists Century Warranty Services out of Jacksonville, FL as the underwriter.
This is NOT a Lexus Factory Extended Warranty ... it is a 3rd Party Warranty. BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for the dealership ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them a percentage of the take.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance not covered. DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty. You are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Note that the "administrator and obligor" (in the footnote) is the 3rd Party Underwriter ... so if you attempt to trigger warranty coverage in the future, Lexus and/or the Dealership play absolutely no role ... and have absolutely no obligation as to your satisfaction ... none whatsoever.

If you are still inclined ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc.

Last edited by ASE; 07-17-19 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ltsr (07-18-19)
Old 07-17-19, 09:38 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by ASE
This is NOT a Lexus Factory Extended Warranty ... it is a 3rd Party Warranty. BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for the dealership ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them a percentage of the take.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance not covered. DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty. You are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Note that the "administrator and obligor" (in the footnote) is the 3rd Party Underwriter ... so if you attempt to trigger warranty coverage in the future, Lexus and/or the Dealership play absolutely no role ... and have absolutely no obligation as to your satisfaction ... none whatsoever.

If you are still inclined ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc.
Excellent response, Thank you. That letter really gives you the false understanding that it’s a Lexus backed service agreement.
Old 07-17-19, 09:53 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I’ll pass. I had One before for my 04 GX470 and never again, wouldn’t pay for OEM parts.
Old 07-17-19, 10:27 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
That letter really gives you the false understanding that it’s a Lexus backed service agreement.
While nothing is misrepresented (technically speaking) this practice (in terms of approach) is designed to be deceiving, so unless the customer asks very specific questions ... it is easy to assume that this is an extension of the original Lexus (manufacturer's) warranty much like the "Certified Pre-Owned" warranty extension that is also backed by Lexus.

This is a "dark corner" of the auto industry that should be better regulated ... and I'm not a proponent of regulating everything ... but this approach (a letter from the dealership) is a predatory practice in my opinion.

Last edited by ASE; 07-17-19 at 10:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ROSCOGX470 (07-19-19)
Old 07-18-19, 12:51 PM
John00
Racer

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

the dealers in many cases get 50% of the price just for reselling the service.
i dont think its worth in it most cases. definitely not worth it for a gx
theres so many ways they can get out of paying. on the other hand, i had one on a cadillac. the dealer/repair shop was more than happy to change all sorts of parts and charge the aftermarket extended warranty people. he did all the paperwork how he needed to and i was impressed and how manhy new parts he could get ont here LOL
Old 07-18-19, 01:56 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

Extended warranties (which are really insurance policies and not warranties) for any Toyota or Lexus product is a total waste of money. It's one of those feel good items the dealer offers to make you feel like you're getting a value, the finance guy knows you'll likely never use it, so it's pure profit for them... The GX460 is one of the most reliable SUV's for sale today, that's like buying insurance on insurance, dumb.... The only time it may make sense is on a brand new model in its first model year, like the Supra, if you're considering that car... again, you'll likely never need it but on a first year model there has been no accumulated data to provide the consumer with any sense of reliability and durability to mitigate a catastrophic engine failure, at say 6 years and 70K outside the normal powertrain factory warranty....
Old 09-24-19, 02:35 PM
lostCajun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new-to-me 2016 GX first time Lexus owner with warranty question

Hello all,

I've been lurking the last couple of weeks while deciding to purchase my 2016 GX 460 Luxury with 39,300 miles on the clock. I bought it from Carmax at a surprisingly competitive price compared to what's around here. Given that it is still within factory warranty, I have the option to purchase the Lexus Platinum 0 deductible 7 year/100k mile extended warranty at $2445, with thanks to Mr. Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore in Kansas. I also have the option to buy the Maxcare extended warranty from Carmax for 5 years/100k miles at $1859. This is for a 0 deductible if brought to Carmax (or Carmax-approved shop, I believe) but a $50 deductible if brought anywhere else. I'm leaning towards getting the Maxcare warranty because of the price difference and taking it to the Lexus dealership if anything does in fact go wrong. The way I see it, I would have almost 12 trips to Lexus for warrantied repairs before even matching the price of the Lexus warranty. And, to be clear, the 5 year time period for the Maxcare warranty is from the purchase date of the warranty, not the date of the original title. Both are able to be be prorated if canceled, but I'm not able to transfer the Maxcare warranty to the next private owner if I were to sell my vehicle that way, unlike the Lexus warranty.

I'm just curious to know if there's an angle I might be missing in my thought process (other than don't buy an extended warranty and put the money aside for repairs... I didn't miss that one, I would just prefer the added security). It seems that the Maxcare warranty is pretty comprehensive in what it covers and there don't seem to be many instances that I've read about online where they didn't cover a repair that truly should be covered by this type of warranty. Unless I'm reading in the wrong places, so please direct me to the right area if that's the case.

Anyway, thank you for the time in reading this and for any information you may have to share. I love my new ride, and I'm looking forward to many many years of comfort and enjoyment from it.
Old 09-24-19, 05:36 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I have zero experience with the CARMAX warranty but the Lexus warranty is exclusionary (meaning that it lists things not covered) and is, for most purposes, almost the same as the new car warranty that came with the car.

I'd never consider a non-manufacturer backed warranty, but I have heard decent things about Maxcare
Old 09-24-19, 06:12 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know about their warranty, but I have checked them many times for a purchase and always found them much higher than the local market median prices. They do have a convenience factor but they also have massive overhead. How much did you pay? KBB shows a pretty big spread in TN (well at least Nashville) of between $33k and $39K
Old 09-24-19, 07:41 PM
lostCajun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Memphis, and I paid $38k. This one was actually at the Carmax in North Carolina, and it cost $250 to transfer it to here. I was willing to pay that price, since it looked to be very clean and, by checking the VIN on drivers.lexus.com, I saw that it had been brought to its dealership in NY every 5k miles during its lease for oil change, tire rotation, filter change, 5k and 10k services, and other minor services that it needed done (the nav screen was flaking out at, basically, purchase, so it was fixed). All of the ones I found around here (Memphis and Nashville area, basically) were higher price or higher miles at the same price.
Old 09-24-19, 08:11 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like you got a decent deal...Congrats.

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?