GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 08:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lostCajun
Hello all,

I've been lurking the last couple of weeks while deciding to purchase my 2016 GX 460 Luxury with 39,300 miles on the clock. I bought it from Carmax at a surprisingly competitive price compared to what's around here. Given that it is still within factory warranty, I have the option to purchase the Lexus Platinum 0 deductible 7 year/100k mile extended warranty at $2445, with thanks to Mr. Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore in Kansas. I also have the option to buy the Maxcare extended warranty from Carmax for 5 years/100k miles at $1859. This is for a 0 deductible if brought to Carmax (or Carmax-approved shop, I believe) but a $50 deductible if brought anywhere else. I'm leaning towards getting the Maxcare warranty because of the price difference and taking it to the Lexus dealership if anything does in fact go wrong. The way I see it, I would have almost 12 trips to Lexus for warrantied repairs before even matching the price of the Lexus warranty. And, to be clear, the 5 year time period for the Maxcare warranty is from the purchase date of the warranty, not the date of the original title. Both are able to be be prorated if canceled, but I'm not able to transfer the Maxcare warranty to the next private owner if I were to sell my vehicle that way, unlike the Lexus warranty.

I'm just curious to know if there's an angle I might be missing in my thought process (other than don't buy an extended warranty and put the money aside for repairs... I didn't miss that one, I would just prefer the added security). It seems that the Maxcare warranty is pretty comprehensive in what it covers and there don't seem to be many instances that I've read about online where they didn't cover a repair that truly should be covered by this type of warranty. Unless I'm reading in the wrong places, so please direct me to the right area if that's the case.

Anyway, thank you for the time in reading this and for any information you may have to share. I love my new ride, and I'm looking forward to many many years of comfort and enjoyment from it.
Its simple if you dont want to be in a world of unknown, print out the terms and conditions for both warranties and find out what the exclude and cover.

I dont mean brochure or sales guides, I mean the ACTUAL LENGTH T&C.

Thats it. From there you can pick up anecdotal evidence like how well your local Lexus dealer service center is to see how they perform on warranty repairs and carmax approved places.

Half the battle is with the t&C and half the battle is upto the service center rep who is suppose to interpret said T&C.

Good luck! Congrats on the GX!
Old 09-24-19, 09:36 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Hello all,

I've been lurking the last couple of weeks while deciding to purchase my 2016 GX 460 Luxury with 39,300 miles on the clock. I bought it from Carmax at a surprisingly competitive price compared to what's around here. Given that it is still within factory warranty, I have the option to purchase the Lexus Platinum 0 deductible 7 year/100k mile extended warranty at $2445, with thanks to Mr. Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore in Kansas. I also have the option to buy the Maxcare extended warranty from Carmax for 5 years/100k miles at $1859. This is for a 0 deductible if brought to Carmax (or Carmax-approved shop, I believe) but a $50 deductible if brought anywhere else. I'm leaning towards getting the Maxcare warranty because of the price difference and taking it to the Lexus dealership if anything does in fact go wrong. The way I see it, I would have almost 12 trips to Lexus for warrantied repairs before even matching the price of the Lexus warranty. And, to be clear, the 5 year time period for the Maxcare warranty is from the purchase date of the warranty, not the date of the original title. Both are able to be be prorated if canceled, but I'm not able to transfer the Maxcare warranty to the next private owner if I were to sell my vehicle that way, unlike the Lexus warranty.

I'm just curious to know if there's an angle I might be missing in my thought process (other than don't buy an extended warranty and put the money aside for repairs... I didn't miss that one, I would just prefer the added security). It seems that the Maxcare warranty is pretty comprehensive in what it covers and there don't seem to be many instances that I've read about online where they didn't cover a repair that truly should be covered by this type of warranty. Unless I'm reading in the wrong places, so please direct me to the right area if that's the case.

Anyway, thank you for the time in reading this and for any information you may have to share. I love my new ride, and I'm looking forward to many many years of comfort and enjoyment from it.
BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for the seller ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them a percentage of the take.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance of more common failures not covered.

DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty ... even if it is sold by the Lexus dealership. Note the "administrator and obligor" (typically in the footnote) ... this is the Underwriter ... and if it does not say "Lexus", then it is a 3rd Party policy.

If you are inclined to purchase extended coverage ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter (if not Lexus) before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc. IMHO you are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Last edited by ASE; 09-24-19 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 09:37 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

... I saw that it had been brought to its dealership in NY.... All of the ones I found around here (Memphis and Nashville area, basically) were higher price or higher miles at the same price.
Rust. The frames and under parts can rust badly in the northern states that use salt in the winter and Toyotas are known for rusting frames. Which could be a part of the reasons they are more expensive where you are, however, I suspect it's more likely that there is more supply of used GXs in NC (NY) than in TN. Since yours is only 3-4 years old, rust may not be an issue, unless used at a vacation home on the Outer Banks in NC.

The 2011 I bought in 2017 (CPO, 32K miles) from a dealer in mid Pennsylvania (not coastal) and it had a rust hole in the engine skid plate, and rust starting all over the frame and bolts etc. (more heavily than normal surface rust). I spent a few days with a tooth brush and water proof grease going all over the frame where the rust was the worse. I removed the skid plate and repainted it to prevent further rust. I'm originally from an area that uses a lot of salt on the roads, I tend to be more sensitive to rust conditions (I remember in the late 70s seeing cars a few years old all rusted out).

Let me also add that a GX of that age in good condition with a service history would normally be sold as a CPO at a Lexus dealer. If it was traded in at a non Lexus (new car) dealer, and was in good condition, that dealer would sell it. So why does Carmax have it (wholesale auction, or traded in at Carmax)? If it was bought at wholesale auction by Carmax, why did it go to auction in the first place instead of being sold by the dealer it was traded in at, or why not sold as a CPO by a Lexus dealer? (Lexus dealer scourer auctions for clean, late model low mileage examples to sell as CPOs)

I would look very closely at the Carfax and go over the whole vehicle with a paint meter for any repaint. Even if the Carfax comes back clean, it does not mean it hasn't had an accident. However, even if a fender was repainted doesn't mean it was in an accident (could be scratched.keyed etc.)

A quick story; While deciding on an RX before I bought the GX, I looked at a CPO RX. While ging over it I noticed some abnormalities in the paint work. The used car manager allowed me to use their paint meter in which I found evidence of a repaint
of the rear quarter panels along with some body filler (large thickness). That RX was evidentially in an accident, but with a 'clean' Carfax, the dealer was selling it as a CPO. If the new owner found out about the accident after the fact, they'd claim ignorance as the Carfax was 'clean', so letting them off the hook.

Last edited by GX4602011; 09-24-19 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-25-19, 01:17 PM
lostCajun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to all of the responses and additional information. To answer a couple of questions/comments above... the Lexus warranty I'm talking about is absolutely a Lexus Certified warranty. Mr. Jerry Johnson, who many people on here have mentioned before, is the one that gave me the quote and makes clear in his email that the warranties that he sells are Lexus Certified and not 3rd party or aftermarket. As for rust, I did have a slight concern about that as well, so this morning before work I took the GX to a trusted local mechanic to do a used car "pre-purchase" inspection (in quotes because I obviously already purchased it, but I have until Friday to return it for a full refund). I mentioned it being from New York originally so he said he would be sure to check for any rust issues. When he was done, he said that they did find one thing wrong with it... it's low on washer fluid. He said that it's extremely clean and solid and he would have purchased it himself had he found it first. So I was happy with that report.

While still working out my decision, I called my local Lexus dealer to ask how they've fared with their dealings with Maxcare warranties. He said that they refuse to take them, after attempting to work with them a few years ago and having so many issues. He said that the only way they work with Carmax warranties now is if the warranty owner takes the car to Carmax directly, and if they can't fix it, they'll send it to Lexus to fix. He says that this relationship with Carmax has been great for them. But my taking the car directly to Lexus and paying the $50 copay? No dice. No matter what Carmax says. So that means, Lexus warranty it is!
Old 09-25-19, 04:15 PM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

To give you an example of what's available in the Seattle area, I just purchased a 2016 CPO from the dealer with 36K miles and all records etc, its a base with …..

All Weather Floor Mats with Cargo Mats, Paint Protection Film, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Power Folding Auto Dimming Outer Mirrors

Tow Hitch with Ball Mount, Headlamp Washers,

Premium Package: Leather trimmed seats, Mahogany wood trim, rain-sensing wipers, windshield deicer, LED foglamps, 18" Split-six spoke alloy wheels, Intuitive Parking Assist, Heated/Ventilated Front Seats, Heated outboard 2nd row seats, 3-zone automatic climate control, Navigation Package,

Mahogany Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel and shift ****, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, Wheel Locks, & a Key Glove. So it's kinda loaded

I paid $38K which I thought was a little high? But...That included 3 years of B2B Factory Warranty and 2 years Maintenance. I actually believe the 160 point inspection is a bunch of BS but the piece of mind having the Warranty...goes a long way, and the maintenance doesn't hurt. (Plus I added MTS, Crawl, and a front camera for around $900)
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Old 09-26-19, 06:04 AM
lostCajun
Driver School Candidate

You can't argue with additional warranty, that's for sure! And I didn't know that it was possible to get features added at a later time! Does that mean I can still get the front/side cameras and/or change my DAC to Crawl??

Congrats on your new ride. If you're enjoying yours half as much as I am mine, you're having a damn good time. I am excited to be going on my first road trip today back to Louisiana to visit the family. Should be a pretty comfy and quiet cruise.
Old 09-26-19, 08:55 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

You can add pretty much anything you want as long as you have Money, Time, and a reasonable amount of mechanical knowhow. One guy on here even added the radar cruise control.
Old 09-29-19, 07:31 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts
Default in the market for a 2011-2013 - should I get the warranty

I was really close to closing on a immaculate example of a 2011 with 90K/mi but the warranty push and insurance (is it normal for it to be high? its my first time owning a car - got quoted 350/mo - one ticket two years ago) caused to me back out.

their warranty was 4500 through a company called cna national, and it covered most mechanical parts.

been here for a while and these cars seems very reliable,but im just on the fence and looking for feedback as to whether I should get the warranty or skip it find a local reputable repair shop.

thank you for you time.
Old 09-29-19, 09:06 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
I was really close to closing on a immaculate example of a 2011 with 90K/mi but the warranty push and insurance (is it normal for it to be high? its my first time owning a car - got quoted 350/mo - one ticket two years ago) caused to me back out.

their warranty was 4500 through a company called cna national, and it covered most mechanical parts.

been here for a while and these cars seems very reliable,but im just on the fence and looking for feedback as to whether I should get the warranty or skip it find a local reputable repair shop.

thank you for you time.
BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for the seller ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them a percentage of the take.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance of more common failures not covered.

DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty ... even if it is sold by the Lexus dealership. Note the "administrator and obligor" (typically in the footnote) ... this is the Underwriter ... and if it does not say "Lexus", then it is a 3rd Party policy.

If you are inclined to purchase extended coverage ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter (if not Lexus) before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc. IMHO you are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable (if properly maintained), this will probably end up being money in your pocket.
Old 09-29-19, 10:24 PM
AZLexicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have some experience with CNA. I purchased a Jeep and the dealer threw in the extended warrantee which was through CNA. The Jeep still had factory warranty for the first two years and then the extended kicked in. I only had to use it twice but both times they paid minus my deductible and both were big $ repairs. The first was the entire A/C system replacement with radiator, and the second was ECU and alternator. When the warrantee period was up, they will not let you purchase another policy. Hope this answers your question.
Old 09-30-19, 02:32 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I would test drive and inspect thoroughly, and save your $4,500 for any unforeseen repairs. I imagine you'll still have the $4,500 after a few years.
Old 09-30-19, 02:39 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

This!
The GX is common enough that for any big repairs, you can use independent mechanic and save money.
Even a new 50k miles engine is only a few thousands.
The one that could potentially cost big buck is the coolant plate leak.

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I would test drive and inspect thoroughly, and save your $4,500 for any unforeseen repairs. I imagine you'll still have the $4,500 after a few years.
Old 09-30-19, 07:08 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE

If you are inclined to purchase extended coverage ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter (if not Lexus) before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc. IMHO you are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable (if properly maintained), this will probably end up being money in your pocket.
thanks for the detailed response, I'll skip the warranty and find a local shop.

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
im gonna look for a shop in the area and pay to have them inspect it before purchase next time
Old 10-07-19, 06:16 PM
PWM
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Certified Warranty

Hello new here. I just picked up a 2016 Premium edition. Low miles and still under factory warranty until the end of December. I bought it online and had it shipped to my home. I know risky at best but everything turned out OK. I was wondering if I can purchase the Lexus Certified Warranty even though I didn’t purchase the vehicle at a dealer.
Old 10-07-19, 07:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by PWM
Hello new here. I just picked up a 2016 Premium edition. Low miles and still under factory warranty until the end of December. I bought it online and had it shipped to my home. I know risky at best but everything turned out OK. I was wondering if I can purchase the Lexus Certified Warranty even though I didn’t purchase the vehicle at a dealer.
You cant buy a CPO warranty on your vehicle. However I believe you can still purchase the Lexus backed Platinum warranty extension. Need to contact the dealer rep who does them for folks on the forums.
The following users liked this post:
PWM (10-08-19)

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?