GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 02:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I have been beaten up with a reply like that

You still looking for a 2020 GX cool?

Yea short names....
deal with it.
@tecman in the market for a family member whose close to finalizing the deal.
Old 03-09-20, 05:11 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,070 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by wtrang
Hi everyone,
Could anyone give me some advice on of which company I should buy extended warranty?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for anyone who sells them ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them (the Dealership or Broker) a percentage of the take. They will tell you that everything is covered which is absolutely not true ... unless it is a Lexus Certified Warranty ... not a 3rd Party Warranty sold by a Lexus dealership.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance not covered. Again ... DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty. You are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Note that the "administrator and obligor" (in the contract footnote) is the 3rd Party Underwriter ... so if you attempt to trigger warranty coverage in the future, Lexus and/or the Dealership or the Broker who sold you the Warranty play absolutely no role beyond the point of sale ... so have absolutely no obligation as to your future satisfaction when you attempt to exercise coverage ... none whatsoever.

If you are still inclined ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc.

Last edited by ASE; 03-09-20 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GXOR (03-12-20)
Old 03-09-20, 05:16 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 225 Posts

I bought one through Lexus. If your 2014 is a CPO, and still under the CPO warranty, you can buy one from Lexus. I bought an extension to the CPO warranty since the '13 GX with 60k I bought 6 months ago was manufactured in Dec 2012, so about as old as a CPO car could be. I figured it was worth having protection against downside risk for years 3-5 of my ownership (years 10-12 for the age of the truck), especially since the price for the 3 years seemed reasonable to me. I doubt the power train will be an issue, but who knows about electronics, seats, windows, alternators etc. I prob wouldn't have bought the warranty if the truck was newer.
If you do decide to extend the CPO warranty I highly recommend emailing multiple dealerships. I got it for hundreds less that way.

Last edited by CFAI; 03-09-20 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo and more detail.
Old 03-10-20, 09:14 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Also you should talk to a couple of service advisor to see which one they recommend. They are the ones who usually deal with claims to they know how things usually go with different warranty companies.
Old 04-05-20, 09:26 AM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warranty Expiration

So my warranty expires this December. Do I lose the navigation function, or just have to start paying for it? And is anything else affected with the expiration? Thanks.
Old 04-05-20, 11:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

What year GX do you have? Offhand I think the only thing one loses without paying fee is Enform Remote start after one year on a new vehicle purchase.
Old 04-05-20, 12:17 PM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Year Make

Per profile-it is a 2018.
Old 04-16-20, 09:26 AM
jsant1070
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - EasyCare Total

All

Per earlier posts, just picked up a 2017 GX with 25K miles taken on trade at Land Rover Dealership. Car is clean and well cared for with a complete service history.

Dealer is offering (for the next week) the Easycare Total Warranty (6 years from my purchase and 120K total miles). This will cover us for the full 6 years with my wife's average miles per year.

Original cost to me was ~$3900. I declined several times and now they are at $2140 (supposedly the best they can do).

I have several questions:
  1. Is Easycare Total a good Warranty program?
  2. Should I consider this as it isn't too costly and these trucks are expensive to replace many components?
  3. Is the $2140 a good price (assuming answers to #1 and #2 are 'yes')?
Thanks in advance for your valuable experience.

joe
Old 04-20-20, 09:16 AM
ASE
Pole Position

BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for anyone who sells them ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them (the Dealership or Broker) a percentage of the take. They will tell you that everything is covered which is absolutely not true ... unless it is a Lexus Certified Warranty ... not a 3rd Party Warranty sold by a Lexus or another dealership.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance not covered. Again ... DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty. You are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Note that the "administrator and obligor" (in the contract footnote) is the 3rd Party Underwriter ... so if you attempt to trigger warranty coverage in the future, Lexus and/or the Dealership or the Broker who sold you the Warranty play absolutely no role beyond the point of sale ... so have absolutely no obligation as to your future satisfaction when you attempt to exercise coverage ... none whatsoever.

If you are still inclined ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc.
ObsidianBl (04-20-20)
Old 04-20-20, 09:46 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Agree with @ASE

Also, see what type of warranty it is. Either inclusionary or EXCLUSIONARY. Usually exclusionary warranties are better since you know exactly what’s not covered.

But depending on how comfortable you feel fixing things, you could save the $ upfront and keep it on the side for a rainy day. Besides the engine and transmission, the infotainment screen would be another high cost item if it goes out.
Old 04-20-20, 03:33 PM
Magnumpi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They probably have room to come down more on that warranty price. I got a warranty on my GX from carmax lasting 5 years to 100k miles. It had 36k when I bought it last year. I paid $1300 for their warranty. The computer for the pump on the air suspension was faulty and sometimes did not fill correctly resulting in a bottom out feeling when going over speed bumps. Lexus service said it was not covered under my factory warranty but my extended warranty from carmax covered it. Cost $2300 to replace. I think they have room to come down, and if they do, its probably visit to service could pay for the warranty.
Old 04-20-20, 04:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Don't purchase. The GX is an extremely reliable vehicle. Yes, you will have a few things over the life of the vehicle that will break but it will cost you far less than what you pay for these warranties. Even CPO's and maintenance packages are not in the consumers interest.

First, don't fix the car at a dealership. They often charge double or triple vs a independent mechanic. Especially here in the Northeast.

2nd, if you can source the parts yourself and pay for labor only you also save on this markup as well. There are some shops that won't allow customers to supply parts and in this case find one that does. Yelp is a great resource to find local independent mechanics with good ratings.
​​​​​​
GB2011GX (04-24-20)
Old 04-20-20, 04:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magnumpi
They probably have room to come down more on that warranty price. I got a warranty on my GX from carmax lasting 5 years to 100k miles. It had 36k when I bought it last year. I paid $1300 for their warranty. The computer for the pump on the air suspension was faulty and sometimes did not fill correctly resulting in a bottom out feeling when going over speed bumps. Lexus service said it was not covered under my factory warranty but my extended warranty from carmax covered it. Cost $2300 to replace. I think they have room to come down, and if they do, its probably visit to service could pay for the warranty.
The part itself probably could be had for 1/5th what you quoted. The main ECM is only $1200 new. Used its like $400. Companies also fix them for a fraction of the cost. I don't know exactly what module controls the air suspension but more often than not extended warranties are not in the consumers favor. They would not sell them if they were. If you are smart about how you fix a vehicle you will save a ton.
​​​​​​

​​​
​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-20-20 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 04:36 PM
ASE
Pole Position

"Extended Warranty" is not generic from a coverage standpoint. Different policies are NEVER apples-to-apples ... so just because someone had a good experience with their extended warranty, this does not mean that you will have a good experience with coverage offered by ACME Warranty ... or whatever fancy name is used to sell the policy. It's all about the underwriter of the policy being reputable AND the fine print in the policy that is designed to limit their potential liability in terms of coverage ... the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions.

Last edited by ASE; 04-20-20 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 04:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ASE
"Extended Warranty" is not ever apples-to-apples ... so just because someone had a good or bad experience, this does not and will not translate to an extended warranty offered by ACME Warranty ... or whatever the name of the policy. It's all about the underwriter of the policy in terms of being reputable in addition to the fine print ... specifically the
Yes, very true and they are very profitable for the finance guy at dealerships. That's why they push them so hard.

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?