GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 06:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I was close to getting a used LX but decided on the GX. The LX is a nice vehicle but their cost of ownership is a good amount higher and overall reliability is not as good. They definitely loose their value faster too. Beautiful truck but I decided the GX was better suited for what I wanted to do.
​​​​​​
How so? Gas mileage? You can use regular and not even worry a thing about it, ever. It's more controversial in the GX as it has a different compression ratio than the 4 Runner V8 and I would be hesitiant to run regular for life. All 5.7s are down-to-the-bone identical and they're designed for 87 octane. That's at least $50 less on gas alone per month I would save.

I see no difference in reliability, and haven't seen. The only area off the top of my head I imagine you're referring to is the LX trick suspension which for sure is complicated, but it uses hydraulic fluid (instead of air...for longevity)that you change at decent intervals and I'm sure it will last hundreds of thousands of miles.

How is the LX less reliable? It's the Mac Daddy of the Land Cruiser line, above the Prado. Toyota basically admitted LC/LX that they're hand built (in the Tahara factory) bc they're so low volume.

Not that the GX is any slouch in any way at all (we wanted one for years before changing minds) but the LX is just so much more truck for not a whole lot more money. And it looks better to me. Lots more power too, I want the most I can get.

I'm being halfway serious here, not that this really matters, but there are several Toyota and Lexus trucks on my street, next door neighbor bought a newish 4 Runner, and there is more than one Tundra and a GX.

My house is the first one you see on my street, all neighbors with Yota and Lexus trucks are going to be shamed into a oblivion when an LX570 sits in my driveway.

(I really don't care about that stuff, but it does enter my mind just a teensy bit lol.)

Glad you like the GX though, like I said it was our plan for 2 years.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-27-20 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-31-20, 05:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
How so? Gas mileage? You can use regular and not even worry a thing about it, ever. It's more controversial in the GX as it has a different compression ratio than the 4 Runner V8 and I would be hesitiant to run regular for life. All 5.7s are down-to-the-bone identical and they're designed for 87 octane. That's at least $50 less on gas alone per month I would save.

I see no difference in reliability, and haven't seen. The only area off the top of my head I imagine you're referring to is the LX trick suspension which for sure is complicated, but it uses hydraulic fluid (instead of air...for longevity)that you change at decent intervals and I'm sure it will last hundreds of thousands of miles.

How is the LX less reliable? It's the Mac Daddy of the Land Cruiser line, above the Prado. Toyota basically admitted LC/LX that they're hand built (in the Tahara factory) bc they're so low volume.

Not that the GX is any slouch in any way at all (we wanted one for years before changing minds) but the LX is just so much more truck for not a whole lot more money. And it looks better to me. Lots more power too, I want the most I can get.

I'm being halfway serious here, not that this really matters, but there are several Toyota and Lexus trucks on my street, next door neighbor bought a newish 4 Runner, and there is more than one Tundra and a GX.

My house is the first one you see on my street, all neighbors with Yota and Lexus trucks are going to be shamed into a oblivion when an LX570 sits in my driveway.

(I really don't care about that stuff, but it does enter my mind just a teensy bit lol.)

Glad you like the GX though, like I said it was our plan for 2 years.
Honestly, I would have to search for where I found the articles. It did not get into a lot of specifics. It was not a huge difference but it was notable. The cost to maintain was a good amount more.

​​​​Suspension issues and overall the vehicle is more complicated. The more complicated the vehicle the more potential for problems. There are some threads on the LX forums that mention similar. Check out consumer reports as well. They consistently rate the GX more reliable. Engine and powertrain are probably not the main points of contention. Personally, I like CR reviews but often people dog their them when they don't align with one's personal opinions.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-31-20 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 11:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I would have to search for where I found the articles. It did not get into a lot of specifics. It was not a huge difference but it was notable. The cost to maintain was a good amount more.

​​​​Suspension issues and overall the vehicle is more complicated. The more complicated the vehicle the more potential for problems. There are some threads on the LX forums that mention similar. Check out consumer reports as well. They consistently rate the GX more reliable. Engine and powertrain are probably not the main points of contention. Personally, I like CR reviews but often people dog their them when they don't align with one's personal opinions.
I actually just bought a CR subscription but cancelled it shortly after, bc I thought the reliability ratings were basically incomplete. Was very dissatisfied with it....nothing like I remember the print magazine being.

Bottom line, LX and GX are solid AF trucks. The most solid trucks out there honestly. Glad you like your GX, like I said that was the plan for us for years.

But oh just a black on black LX, whew. Bossy.
Old 05-31-20, 07:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I actually just bought a CR subscription but cancelled it shortly after, bc I thought the reliability ratings were basically incomplete. Was very dissatisfied with it....nothing like I remember the print magazine being.

Bottom line, LX and GX are solid AF trucks. The most solid trucks out there honestly. Glad you like your GX, like I said that was the plan for us for years.

But oh just a black on black LX, whew. Bossy.
​​​​​​I find CR to be unbiased and accurate, IMO. Especially for vehicles. The LX is a great vehicle I am sure you will enjoy it. The concept is similar to the LS430 UL vs the normal one. The air suspension will eventually fail and it's quite expensive to fix. But riding on air is quite nice.

Personally I think I'm done with black vehicles. Such a pain keeping the paint in good condition.
Old 05-31-20, 07:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

​​​​​​I find CR to be unbiased and accurate, IMO. Especially for vehicles. The LX is a great vehicle I am sure you will enjoy it. The concept is similar to the LS430 UL vs the normal one. The air suspension will eventually fail and it's quite expensive to fix. But riding on air is quite nice.

Personally I think I'm done with black vehicles. Such a pain keeping the paint in good condition.
It's not an air suspension, it's hydraulic fluid. Very very durable, much more than air. You change the fluid at intervals. I have no doubts it would go 250k easy if the owner changes the fluid. And it's really awesome how you can raise and lower the whole truck.

Good to see you back on CL! Ever miss the 430?
Old 06-01-20, 06:00 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's not an air suspension, it's hydraulic fluid. Very very durable, much more than air. You change the fluid at intervals. I have no doubts it would go 250k easy if the owner changes the fluid. And it's really awesome how you can raise and lower the whole truck.

Good to see you back on CL! Ever miss the 430?
​​​​​​
Yes, I should of never sold that LS. It was a very unique color combo only available 2004 and ran beautifully. Briarwood pearl exterior with saddle interior. Had the rear seat package. Never seen another one of the same combo posted. Just got bored. But I have a lovely 06 SC430 to keep GX company now.
​​​​​

​​​
Old 06-01-20, 10:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

​​​​​​
Yes, I should of never sold that LS. It was a very unique color combo only available 2004 and ran beautifully. Briarwood pearl exterior with saddle interior. Had the rear seat package. Never seen another one of the same combo posted. Just got bored. But I have a lovely 06 SC430 to keep GX company now.
​​​​​
Yeah, most used car guys regret selling them. I've noticed that over the years.

However you have a jewel SC. I'm trying to find one for my mother to trade in her SLK and just keep as a convertible forever as a second car but they are tough to find!!!
Old 06-01-20, 12:47 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I've always been "anti ext. warranty", but when my wife picked up her 2014 LS460 last year with 60k miles, she insisted we get one. I negotiated a good price for 3/36 bumper to bumper on the Lexus plan and figured we'd never touch it. Well at 70k, the wife got to say "see I told you so!". Car is at dealer now getting a new analog clock and brake actuator under warranty. I don't have the final tab yet, but the service writer said easily $3500 w/o the warranty....
Old 06-01-20, 02:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I've always been "anti ext. warranty", but when my wife picked up her 2014 LS460 last year with 60k miles, she insisted we get one. I negotiated a good price for 3/36 bumper to bumper on the Lexus plan and figured we'd never touch it. Well at 70k, the wife got to say "see I told you so!". Car is at dealer now getting a new analog clock and brake actuator under warranty. I don't have the final tab yet, but the service writer said easily $3500 w/o the warranty....
The brake actuator is a well known issue on the 460's. The 430 had a lot less problems overall. I used to remind 460 owners about this and they did not appreciate that too much... 😂 Got me punished a little. They are pretty expensive but from what I understand is that they make a clicking or popping sound but often don't actually fail. Not sure about yours. Keep in mind what dealers quote is often the 'you just got fleeced' price. So when comparing this to sourcing the part yourself and paying for labor only it seems like you made out well. Or just doing it yourself. The actuator itself is about a $750 part. Enthusiast often perform the work themselves so when comparing often $3k or more rolled into the loan you can see where the savings really are. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but I think you get my point.
​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-01-20 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
csrpenfab (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20, 02:42 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, most used car guys regret selling them. I've noticed that over the years.

However you have a jewel SC. I'm trying to find one for my mother to trade in her SLK and just keep as a convertible forever as a second car but they are tough to find!!!
I love the SC. Really fun car to drive and enjoyable cruising with the top down. It's more of a sport cruiser vs a sports car but I have plans on doing some nice coilovers and upgrading to the Supra rear sway bar at some point. Plus headers and a new exhaust. Oh, and new wheels of course. But all in due time.
​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-01-20 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 05:30 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

The brake actuator is a well known issue on the 460's. The 430 had a lot less problems overall. I used to remind 460 owners about this and they did not appreciate that too much... 😂 Got me punished a little. They are pretty expensive but from what I understand is that they make a clicking or popping sound but often don't actually fail. Not sure about yours. Keep in mind what dealers quote is often the 'you just got fleeced' price. So when comparing this to sourcing the part yourself and paying for labor only it seems like you made out well. Or just doing it yourself. The actuator itself is about a $750 part. Enthusiast often perform the work themselves so when comparing often $3k or more rolled into the loan you can see where the savings really are. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but I think you get my point.
​​​​
Totally agree. I’m glad they’re fixing it, and I paid way under 3k for the warranty. Well under 2k.
Old 06-01-20, 05:42 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Totally agree. I’m glad they’re fixing it, and I paid way under 3k for the warranty. Well under 2k.
Also, I think the people who are able to fix stuff like this themselves seriously underestimate the value of that skill. Just because something is easy for you, doesn't mean it isn't worth much. I have no idea how to do almost anything on a car. Sure, I imagine I could learn it, but it takes time and experience etc. The fact that there is a market for that type of labor is evidence of how valuable your skills are.
Old 06-01-20, 08:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I love the SC. Really fun car to drive and enjoyable cruising with the top down. It's more of a sport cruiser vs a sports car but I have plans on doing some nice coilovers and upgrading to the Supra rear sway bar at some point. Plus headers and a new exhaust. Oh, and new wheels of course. But all in due time.
​​​​
Yes and the best part is they have the 4.3 and super high quality interior like the LS430. They're total boulevard cruisers. I love them, engineered and built in the Lexus heyday.
Old 07-27-20, 09:34 PM
DFWGX
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We recently bought a 2014 Premium with only 28k miles from a non-Lexus dealership. As the car is in phenomenal shape we are consider warranties to cover up to 100k.

In reaching out to local Lexus dealerships regarding extended warranty, one called back my wife and said they now partner with Ally. Quoted 4K for 5 yrs/100k, parts and labor covered, $0 deductible. Has anyone had a warranty like this from a Lexus dealership, underwritten by Ally?

FYI Carchex is offering bumper-to-bumper for 3k for 5 years/100k, $100 deductible.
Old 07-28-20, 07:48 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWGX
We recently bought a 2014 Premium with only 28k miles from a non-Lexus dealership. As the car is in phenomenal shape we are consider warranties to cover up to 100k.

In reaching out to local Lexus dealerships regarding extended warranty, one called back my wife and said they now partner with Ally. Quoted 4K for 5 yrs/100k, parts and labor covered, $0 deductible. Has anyone had a warranty like this from a Lexus dealership, underwritten by Ally?

FYI Carchex is offering bumper-to-bumper for 3k for 5 years/100k, $100 deductible.
BEWARE of 3rd Party Warranties ... most are not worth the paper they are written on ... the devil is in the details, meaning the fine print that defines the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions. These policies are extremely profitable (free money) for anyone who sells them ... hence their motivation to sell on behalf of the 3rd Party who pays them (the Dealership or Broker) a percentage of the take. They will tell you that everything is covered which is absolutely not true ... unless it is a Lexus Certified Warranty ... not a 3rd Party Warranty sold by a Lexus dealership.

Have a qualified mechanic read the conditions, restrictions, limitations and exclusions given they are typically designed to only cover components that have an extremely low statistical probability of failure ... with the balance not covered. Again ... DO NOT confuse 3rd Party Warranties with the Lexus Certified Extended Warranty. You are probably better off banking the money for future repairs ... and since the GX460 is crazy reliable, this will probably end up being money in your pocket.

Note that the "administrator and obligor" (in the contract footnote) is the 3rd Party Underwriter ... so if you attempt to trigger warranty coverage in the future, Lexus and/or the Dealership or the Broker who sold you the Warranty play absolutely no role beyond the point of sale ... so have absolutely no obligation as to your future satisfaction when you attempt to exercise coverage ... none whatsoever.

If you are still inclined ... at least do yourself a favor and research the underwriter before purchasing ... Better Business Bureau Ratings, Consumer Complaints ... etc.

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?