GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 08:11 AM
DFWGX
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Right, this I am aware of. However has anyone used Ally with Lexus? Carchex is easy to google but Ally is different as it seems to be only offered at dealerships. I have read on other forums that it is good from MB and Porsche owners. Should get policy details from Lexus today.

That being said, this car will be mostly driven by my wife so if there is an issue, there is a Lexus dealership nearby. So this warranty purchase will be more for peace of mind. If it was my daily driver, I am more open to getting estimates and working with authorized mechanics.
Old 07-28-20, 08:21 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWGX
Right, this I am aware of. However has anyone used Ally with Lexus? Carchex is easy to google but Ally is different as it seems to be only offered at dealerships. I have read on other forums that it is good from MB and Porsche owners. Should get policy details from Lexus today.

That being said, this car will be mostly driven by my wife so if there is an issue, there is a Lexus dealership nearby. So this warranty purchase will be more for peace of mind. If it was my daily driver, I am more open to getting estimates and working with authorized mechanics.
The GX460 been rated the #1 most reliable vehicle more times than I can count ... so extended warranties are a waste of money on this specific vehicle unless purchasing a Lexus CPO where the total purchase price can be negotiated. 3rd Party Warranties ... hey, it's your money so if it makes you feel better.
The following users liked this post:
DFWGX (07-28-20)
Old 08-27-20, 07:58 AM
Deeann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpray33
New 2020 GX 460 Premium
Starfire Pearl
Black Nuluxe interior with cooled & heated seats

Nav/ML
Intuitive Park Assist, BSM, LDW, LKA, PDA
Remote start

Premium Package
Tow hitch
I’m in the process of purchasing new GX. What was your opinion on all the extended warranties offered?
Old 08-27-20, 02:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeann
I’m in the process of purchasing new GX. What was your opinion on all the extended warranties offered?
I PROMISE you, you don't need an extended warranty on a 2020 GX.

If you asked me what car in the world LEAST needs one, it would be the GX.

It's a Toyota BOF truck with an under stressed V8, for starters.
Old 08-27-20, 02:13 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Pretty sure you can buy an extension at anytime while still under the original factory warranty - so you don't really need to do anything now. That said, I guess if you want one, for whatever reason, maybe it gives you another degree of freedom in negotiations, and perhaps you could get it for cheap as part of the total negotiated price. Not sure if it works that way though.
If you are very very risk adverse against catastrophic failures (tranny, engine failure etc.), or even minor failures, you could get a low mileage 2019 CPO model, and then add a 3 to 5 year VSA, so that you would have over a decade of factory warranty. Not saying it makes sense to do that, but you might as well consider your options
Old 08-27-20, 02:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I would buy first-year 2010 GX and not worry one bit about repairs.

CFAI (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20, 02:19 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Yep, for some, a corner solution works best (New or MY'10) and for others it is somewhere in between.
Old 08-27-20, 02:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CFAI
Yep, for some, a corner solution works best (New or MY'10) and for others it is somewhere in between.
Oh we wanted a GX for years, but have decided to get an LX.

Ideally my GX would be around a '15 with 60kish miles. That was the original plan.

You don't even really need to worry if they've been super maintained or not lol, but yes I would prefer one with a service history.
Old 08-27-20, 02:26 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh we wanted a GX for years, but have decided to get an LX.

Ideally my GX would be around a '15 with 60kish miles. That was the original plan.

You don't even really need to worry if they've been super maintained or not lol, but yes I would prefer one with a service history.
The LX is so nice inside. Plus I love the tailgate. A bit too big for us (actually the GX is pushing it), but that thing is plush.

We bought a '13 with 60k las year. I liked the pre-refresh grill better. Plus, even as a CPO, the fact that it was the older design meant we could get a good deal on it.
Old 08-27-20, 02:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CFAI
The LX is so nice inside. Plus I love the tailgate. A bit too big for us (actually the GX is pushing it), but that thing is plush.
The bigger the better for me, plus I want the 5.7.

But oh yeah we were definitely jonesing for a GX, but then realized LX isn't really that much more money and I like it more. LX is also a used purchase you don't have to worry a thing about. These things are engineered to last in the jungle and desert for 25 years, literally. If the truck had a resume that would be the objective :"Tough truck designed to last 25 years in the worst conditions." Same with GX, it's a Toyota Prado overseas which is part of the Land Cruiser line. GX is one hell of a tough truck.
Old 09-04-20, 09:52 AM
HopRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strut Replace, Alignment and Warranty Question

I took my 2018 GX into the dealership for the 20K mile service. Got a call from the service advisor saying that they found a leak in the front left strut and would replace it under warranty, but want to charge me $160 for an alignment after the fact. Seems to me like that should be included if any warranty work is done to 'Steering' components, but they say no. Curious if others have encountered this issue? Is it worth me pushing the issue with Lexus Corporate or should I just bite the bullet?

Thoughts are appreciated!

Old 09-04-20, 10:19 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

If the replacement requires an alignment, I feel that it should be covered under warranty. The same thing like if the engine was replaced under warranty, would you need to pay for an oil change?

But if this is something they recommend "out of abundant caution", I think they just try to sell you the extra service. I'd call them and ask if the alignment is "required" or "recommended". Pretty sure they gonna say "highly/strongly" recommended, and if you push they will say you don't have to get it done if you don't want to. Another option is you can just pay now and open a ticket with corporate later, they *might* reimburse you for that amount, but there is a chance that they will not.

What dealer in TX are you dealing with?
HopRock (09-04-20)
Old 09-04-20, 10:25 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Subscribed to the answer/outcome on this one.
Old 09-04-20, 10:48 AM
HopRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hadokenuh: Thanks for the feedback. I did check and they 'Suggest/Recommend' the alignment, but specifically state that it is not required so I suspect they are trying to make a quick profit here. The dealer is Park Place in Grapevine, TX.
I will likely call around to a few local independent shops and get an alignment quote just to better educate myself.

Thanks again!

Old 09-04-20, 11:10 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HopRock
hadokenuh: Thanks for the feedback. I did check and they 'Suggest/Recommend' the alignment, but specifically state that it is not required so I suspect they are trying to make a quick profit here. The dealer is Park Place in Grapevine, TX.
I will likely call around to a few local independent shops and get an alignment quote just to better educate myself.

Thanks again!
No problem!

Then, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just drive the GX and see if it's out of alignment, you should be able to tell easily. You can get it done later or when you get new tires later on.
HopRock (09-04-20)

Quick Reply: Prepaid Maintenance & Extended Warranties - Pricing/Questions/What is covered?